Best dvd player/burner

prakasse

Hi Friends,

I am looking to purchase a very good DVD reader/writer [dual layer] and i am going to connect this to laptop as i don't have a desktop.

1. Can USB external driver do the needful? I read in forums that external drivers are bad compared to internal ones.

2. If i get internal driver, can i get an enclosure for it and connect it to my laptop. If so where can i get these? and what would be the cost?

4. The drive needs to be made region free. So no Matshita recommendation please ;).

5. I am going to get this in India only, so would be great if you can point me to products that can be purchased here locally.

6. pioneer 115 internal drive is very famous in cdfreaks forum. Is it available in India? ANy of our forum members use it?

Thanks,
Prakash.

external drives come for 3 to 4K. Lacie and HP are the ones I've seen.

I suggest you make two trips, one to find out whats available and another after some internet research.

there is a page out there somewhere that lists audio ripping accuracy with EAC. You might want to consider that.

Regards

an yeah - many drives have region free firmware hacks you can download. I use one on my Sony :)

Cheers

Some info on the EXT DVD writers I had mentioned: Sony costs around 7K

http://www.hifivision.com/media-str...dia-player-htpc-replacement-58.html#post50175
I am aware that LG Slim does not need power adapter. It takes power from USB. May be handy in case you need portability.

http://www.hifivision.com/media-str...dia-player-htpc-replacement-64.html#post52468

But before you buy check for RPC1 (region free) firmwares for those drives.

If you are unable to get them then you can also buy regular internal 5.5" DVD writers and go for external casing. But It's difficult to source for a casing. I have only come across one IDE (Chinese) casing for about 1K. So instead of casing you can also buy the USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE converters which come with power adapters, they may cost around Rs. 300-400. But the setup may look a bit crude?

Last edited:
were you able to make LG EXT DVD GE20 region free? How about its dual layer dvd writing quality?

Is USB to IDE cable is available for 300-400 then i can get an internal driver[approx 1000 rs] and connect it using this cable.

If Pioneer 115 available here?

Thanks,
Prakash.

Buy an internal drive of your choice and a external casing....your job's done...There's a brand called zippy its huge but its good ....so dvd rw will be around 1000-1150 and casing's 600-700....

were you able to make LG EXT DVD GE20 region free? How about its dual layer dvd writing quality?

I tried initially about 6 months back. It was not available then. But I gave up as I realized that I will not be requiring it as such. Mainly wanted to play original DVDs by connecting to NMT, but then realized that it NMT anyway cannot decrypt CSS DVDs due to Sigma chipset limitation.

Is USB to IDE cable is available for 300-400 then i can get an internal driver[approx 1000 rs] and connect it using this cable.
Go for USB to IDE/ SATA, as mostly new DVD writers will be SATA.
No idea about Pioneer

hi, u can buy any of the ext dvd writers from reputed companies most of them are good ,have been using an ext LG for almost 4 yrs with my HP laptop witout a problem ,got the LG coz it writes much faster than the HP,have used the usb port/cable--------u dont have to worry abt the region coding ,u cud download and install any of the region free software available for free .. and also use dvd fab decrypter to break the copy protection and burn it on to a disc with nero and make perfect copies of the originals

hi.prakash u cud pick up any of the ext dvd burners of reputed companies from SP road at good competitive prices ,u wud have plenty of choice too

I would like to correct of my earlier observation:

EXT Moserbaer DVD writer is NOT available. Actually my friend had made it using internal drive + external IDE casing. Total expenditure = Rs. 2K

Have attached pictures of my findings::)

2j47om8.jpg

30iw5qf.jpg

168ctmt.jpg

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back