Best DVD player for music

Hi,

As Venkat says get the Oppo 980H. U have a budget of 7k. stretch it a little and get the Oppo. If someone is ready to get it for 9.5k from singapore just go for it. Hopefully I am getting it from Dubai next month.:)
Cheers,
Sri

Any issues with bringing a pionner DV-610AV-S from US ( in case I can't get one from singapore ) ?
I couldn't find it's price in US :sad:

well, I tried google and found lot of options to buy this online in US - amazon (7 different vendors), sams stores, etc. price varies from $125 to $283.

As far as I know there are 3 basic things to worry about when importing DVD players from US to India

Voltage - 110 V/ 60 HZ in US and 230V/50 HZ in India. Can be managed with a step down transformer. from what I saw online, this Pio covers 230V so it's ok. You can ask your contact in US to call the store and check with them.

Video System - NTSC for US, PAL for India. again this Pio covers both systems.

Region code - 1 for US and 5 (I think) for India. all the sellers I mentioned are selling region free Pio.

In short it fits all the requirements. some links that I found

Amazon.com: Used and New: Pioneer Dv610av-k Black Multi Region Code Free Hdmi Upconverting 1080p DVD Player
https://www.samstores.com/details.asp?ProdID=6700
there are some fantastic deals on Denon universal players in amazon. but unfortunately you need to go through some trouble to get a region hack and power conditioning.

Happy hunting.....

In Pioneer DV 610, Can we play VOB files ?.

More over I am having CRT TV only. what will be the suitable DVD player for both music and movies ?.

Last edited:
The Oppo 980H operates from 100 to 240 volts. In addition, there is a simple way to make it region free. If you can afford 9.5K, believe me, that is the best DVD Player for both movies and music in it's price class. I use it's elder brother, the 983, everyday as a CD Player to just listen to music. It comes very close to dedicated CD players.

Cheers

agree fully. Been using the 983 for a year and no issues with voltage. And it's very good with music as venkat says. Highly recommend the 980 for music too.

Can you compare 983 with CDp(budget)?

I would say it might beat most budget CDPs or at least give them a run for their money. I've not done a head to head comparison but music playback on the 983 is very, very good indeed. I've loaned mine to my brother and he's using it more for music playback rather than movie watching.

BTW guys forget CDP/DVDP and everything else. The best music playback is on a PC with an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard and played on cPlay. PERIOD!!!

Thanks moserw,

As per info,980 & 983 shld sound identical.I never listened oppo.
Venkat said abt it music performance,but head to head comparison of oppo with CDp as Mar5001,6002 or Nad 515,525 will be really helpful.

If oppo 980 can beat to CDp(even equal) ,then its better to invest for oppo980(14k) than budget CDP.

oppo can give more for the same price.

Anybody done comparison of Oppo980 with CDp?

What about pioneer 610? It is bit less pricey than dv99/oppo. It also plays SACD and DVD-Audio.

Yogesh, the Pioneer 610 is indeed very good for movies. It renders images well, and delivers multi channel audio with gusto and precision.

I am not sure about SACD and DVD-A, but the Pioneer is a little weak in delivery of high quality music from Redbook CDs. The shortcomings are mostly muddled sound, and an enhancement of amplitude to fool the listener.

Please bear in mind that Pioneer never claimed that their budget players are good music players. They have always been pushing for good delivery of movies. Here the Pioneer 610 does not fail.

Cheers

Hi Venkar,

I remember you did some comparison of610 with oppo983 & said pio reads discs faster than oppo.
Can you give some anw on Q I asked before your post?

Is it this questions Spiro? - Can you compare 983 with CDp(budget)?

If so just wait for a little while. I have been auditioning the 983 as a pure CD Player. I shall upload the write-up by end of this week.

Cheers

If so just wait for a little while. I have been auditioning the 983 as a pure CD Player. I shall upload the write-up by end of this week.

Cheers

Thanks,

After posting I read abt your other post saying same.
I wil take oppo983 rev as oppo980.

Can you compare 983 with CDp(budget)?

Honestly I can't give you a detailed comparison since I own a very old sony cdp. So am going by memory of basic cdps from marantz and yamaha that I've heard at friends places or in a showroom with budget to midrange speakers. In these sessions (and otherwise) my comparison is on rock and 80s music. The 983 sounds as good as a basic entry level cdp which is in fact making me think twice about upgrading my cdp. My usage is 80% movies so that was actually the main reason for the 983. Music playback is a nice bonus.
Also in my setup the oppo is connected to an av receiver and not a dedicated stereo amp so am sure that also colours the cd sound.

Cheers

I'll also look forward to hearing on this venkat.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back