Best Hindi collection?

spirovious

Hi,

Can you sugget any Hindi cd havind good vocals & music?No remix.

Many old music have distortion.

My choice-

1.A.R.Rehman

2.classical with Tabala,santur any

Try classics revival. The old songs were re mastered in digital format. They don't have the distortions. A few light instruments were added digitally only to improve clarity.

I would strongly recommend the following album

Papon: The story so far.

Buy The Story So Far - Papon Audio CD Online at Low Price in India on Junglee.com

I first heard him in the movie " Madras Cafe" where he has sung the songs sun le re and Khud se and was absolutely amazed at his voice. The above album is his first Hindi album and has a couple of Assamese songs as well. Great vocals and music with a touch of Assamese folk.

Another great album (if you have not heard it) is Barfi, definitely one of the best Pritam has done so far, here also papon has sung one song ( Kyon Na hum tum).

This is assuming you were not specifically asking for old Hindi songs.

Try classics revival. The old songs were re mastered in digital format. They don't have the distortions. A few light instruments were added digitally only to improve clarity.

so can i go ahead and buy the kishore,rafi and mukesh classic reviva, version on flipkart. i am really disappointed by the mp3s i have now. so much distortion kills the joy of listening to these great singers. any other series having clean audio quality?

Lagaan
Swades
Taal
Veer Zaara
Jodha Akbar (Azeemo-shan song has some nice bass, Man mohana song has nice vocals)
Jaanbaaz/Qurbani

so can i go ahead and buy the kishore,rafi and mukesh classic reviva, version on flipkart. i am really disappointed by the mp3s i have now. so much distortion kills the joy of listening to these great singers. any other series having clean audio quality?

the revival audio cds are way better than the Revival mp3s
Go for it!

Even "legends" (5 cd album) of lata, rafi, kishore & Asha are disortion free and very clean. Other albums have poorer quality.
I have lata and kishore legend and both have clean and smooth audio.
Madam Mohan and s.d burman has poor audio. But better than other audio cds.

In general, I always go for 78 rpm/record rips from good sources when I want good quality. The reworked versions often take away something in the processing. I absolutely abhor the versions where the music has been re-recorded for that version.
In general, those released by Virgin and others are better than the HMV ones according to me. (Megaphone's released CD set on Kanan Devi was excellent too).

Many 78/record rips of ancient and old songs can be found on Prof Surjit's site though some are radio rips or could use cleaning.
Hindi Movies / Films Songs

In general, I always go for 78 rpm/record rips from good sources when I want good quality. The reworked versions often take away something in the processing. I absolutely abhor the versions where the music has been re-recorded for that version.
In general, those released by Virgin and others are better than the HMV ones according to me. (Megaphone's released CD set on Kanan Devi was excellent too).

Many 78/record rips of ancient and old songs can be found on Prof Surjit's site though some are radio rips or could use cleaning.
Hindi Movies / Films Songs

this is the only reason i got into Vinyl in the first place. i believe All cds you get with indian pressings today after the 2000's are lossy recordings. the treble is mostly thin/tinny and very light and the bass without any texture.worst is Vocals mostly without emotion :( you like it only because of the Memory

What music label is legends and revival under? Are these available as lossless redbook digital downloads?

@Arj, I doubt if it is lossy - its more likely the quality of mastering from digital source to cd press is poor.

G0bble

Last edited:
the revival audio cds are way better than the Revival mp3s
Go for it!

@HDDCS - on which system you have heard the songs?? can we know the configration? Was it revelling enough?

also have you heard the same songs without remixing on Vinyl for comparison ?/ which system?/

The modernHMV/ saregama CDS are pathetic - absolute pathetic - some are worst than original casettes IMHO

@hemant, I use my i ball 2.1 speakers. Yes! There's a difference in quality. But revivals, obviously have quality loss (none have I encountered).
Madan Mohan's son came up with the concept of revivals.

They sound pretty good (lata forever 5 cd set has the best quality among revivals).

I'm fond of them for other reasons. I normally appreciate the original ones. But some saregama cds sound squelchy (old songs). I hope they restore and clean the tracks with no phony stuff and degradation.

@hemant, I use my i ball 2.1 speakers. Yes! There's a difference in quality. But revivals, obviously have quality loss (none have I encountered).
Madan Mohan's son came up with the concept of revivals.

They sound pretty good (lata forever 5 cd set has the best quality among revivals).

I'm fond of them for other reasons. I normally appreciate the original ones. But some saregama cds sound squelchy (old songs). I hope they restore and clean the tracks with no phony stuff and degradation.

Hear the originals on a decent system ......... i ball 2.1 is a nowhere near any basic system
try to get CD's which were made in UK ( very difficult to find) and thern hear the vinyl on half decent system

Read the past threads 0 you will come to know more about "re mastering ability of HMV - which is actually huge degradation of original track. In fact it is belived that HMV does NOT have original master tapes and that is why even while releasing new LPs they "re -screw" oops "re-master" the songs.

Please do not recommend source material because you heard them in iball speakers and liked it. I almost fell for it and made an online purchase. Good thing I delayed it.

G0bble

I've heard it using various equipments and it always sounds fancier than the original. I've used my skull candy head phones too. And it sound fancier. Just try it out.

I've heard it using various equipments and it always sounds fancier than the original. I've used my skull candy head phones too. And it sound fancier. Just try it out.

Which various equipments? Like Source , amp , Speakers cabling , any mods?

Buddy and have you heard original songs on Vintage CD's or Vinyl? What was that vinyl / CD rig was like?

On I ball speakers are you using some dedicated CD player or computers CD player?

as computer CD player is generally very bad transport..

please clarify

The collection named 'DARD' (M Rafi) is a well recorded one. Golden collection of Raj kapoor is okay too (not as good as his cassette I had. The cassette sounded more 'bold'). There is a Venus CD of Kishore da's collection sung by Abhijeeth which I bought long time ago. 'A tribute to a legend - Kishore Kumar' is a decently recorded one.

It still sounds better than recently re-released version (shared the cd back in the days with friends and they left their mark in it..unforgivable!). The three movie combo CDs, pakeezah/Razia Sultan and Janbaaz/Qurbani, have not so great quality. Janbaaz/Qurbani polydor was way ahead (incomparable).

Rudaali/Maachis combo (Doordarshan) compared to Maachis CD sounds good! 1947 Earth/Jeans combo sounds a bit better than later released 1947 Earth. (Un)fortunately, the older ones sounds a li'l better than the recently re-released ones.

Last edited:
I found one CD of 'Classics Revival'. It is a Malayalam film song compilation CD of Shri P.Jayachandran (Pkd 2000). I am hearing it while typing this. I am glad that they were able to 'preserve' these classics but I am not in favour of these remastered versions (none in my family likes it). I think people who likes shrill or who likes to keep the eq to the max will enjoy them.

Again, a small comparison. The 'Classics revival' cassette (of the above mentioned CD) is almost done (fungus). The 'Golden Hour' collection of Late Shri P. Bhaskaran (cassette tape is placed to the side of cover) is manufactured in U.A.E under RPG licence and there is no fungus or dirt in it (dated 1999). It sounds as good as a tape is supposed to sound like.

Last edited:
Back