best i-pod dock (audiphile grade)

vilfy

hi,

with i-pod becoming a very popular device of storing full music collection for many, traditional hi-fi brands have launched their i-pod docks - CA, NAD, Marantz, Denon, harman kardon, besides of course apple recognised griffin and belkin docks.

can anybody advise on which is the best i-pod dock of audiophile grade (just the dock... not dock with attached speakers)

Keep in mind that if the Doc uses the analog audio out of the iPod ( its also avaiklable from the connector at the base where the doc mates ) then you are using the fairly mediocre DAC + Volume Control + output stage of the iPod.

Garbage in Garbage out ... is what will happen even if you follow it with a megabuck amplifier.

The ONLY 2 Docks that provide a Digital O/p from the iPod is :

1. The Wadia doc ( soon to be available in India )
This works without modifying the ipod.

2. The MSB dock which requires the iPod to be modified, and is priced more than 5 times the Wadia ! :(

3. The Krell product, to me seems to be taking the ANALOG output from the ipod, and has even provided Tone Controls to tweak the signal.

There is some sideways mention that its a digital signal, but I am not too sure of that. It does not say this as an explict statement, in the specification....

4. All other docks.... besides 1 & 2 above ... not audiophile products... infact IMHO below evtry level audiophile grade. These are Lifestyle / convenience products... IMHO :)

. The Krell product, to me seems to be taking the ANALOG output from the ipod, and has even provided Tone Controls to tweak the signal.

There is some sideways mention that its a digital signal, but I am not too sure of that. It does not say this as an explict statement, in the specification....

Further, the specs of the Krell product do not mention a built in DAC.

Also no external Digital ( SPDIF etc ) input provided.....

Keep in mind that if the Doc uses the analog audio out of the iPod ( its also avaiklable from the connector at the base where the doc mates ) then you are using the fairly mediocre DAC + Volume Control + output stage of the iPod.

Garbage in Garbage out ... is what will happen even if you follow it with a megabuck amplifier.

2. The MSB dock which requires the iPod to be modified, and is priced more than 5 times the Wadia ! :(

3. The Krell product, to me seems to be taking the ANALOG output from the ipod, and has even provided Tone Controls to tweak the signal.

4. All other docks.... besides 1 & 2 above ... not audiophile products... infact IMHO below evtry level audiophile grade. These are Lifestyle / convenience products... IMHO :)

Good post!! Finally someone came out with the truth.

thanks everybody for your help. went thru all the links that you all sent and all said that digital output from ipod will give cd quality sound from .wav or lossless formats like apple lossless or flac.

however majority of music on net is available in mp3 format. now i know that even digital output from mp3 will still not sound as good as from .wav.

but can anybody tell me if digital output from mp3 (from wadia dock) will sound noticably better from analogue output from other docks (like CA or Belkin).

but can anybody tell me if digital output from mp3 (from wadia dock) will sound noticably better from analogue output from other docks (like CA or Belkin).

That would depend on the External DAC used after the ipod & Wadia Doc...

Any idea about the entry level docks like Yamaha YDS10, Onkyo etc. Will it give good quality sound.

ALL Analog Docks ( Without Their own speakers) will give you the SAME sound qualitry, if you bought a connecting cord ( Stereo Earphone To Stereo RCA); and connected it to the Headphone Output of the Ipod and the other end to the AUX input of your Amplifier.

The Doc interface does not change the sound quality.... just a convenience / lifestyle interface, sometimes with a remote control for convenience.

Second- or rather , third that;
A squeezebox 3 along with Hi capacity hard drive storage is an excellent way to go-convenience married to hi res output.
And if you wish to, you can always add a higher quality external DAC-hence, future upgradability too.
Way to go for people looking for a mid price range CDP.

have a look at my media server room & wiring closet

3 NAS servers

2 x QNAP TS201: 1 Terrabyte Raid1 config running with Squeezecenter [for squeezebox Duet] & twonkyvision media server [Roku M1000 & PS3s]

1 x Kurobox [DIY buffallo linkstation] 500GB HDD with slimserver for Squeezebox 3s

upload111.jpg

That would depend on the External DAC used after the ipod & Wadia Doc...

hi indianears,

1. which DAC would not cause any loss in quality?

2. if there is no DAC which does not cause any loss in quality, then for mp3's (not for wav or apple lossless) will wadia doc be any better than docks made by other companies (eg Griffin, Belkin, CA, NAD, YAmaha, Denon, etc)?

have a look at my media server room & wiring closet

3 NAS servers

2 x QNAP TS201: 1 Terrabyte Raid1 config running with Squeezecenter [for squeezebox Duet] & twonkyvision media server [Roku M1000 & PS3s]

1 x Kurobox [DIY buffallo linkstation] 500GB HDD with slimserver for Squeezebox 3s

[/center]

Suniil, AWESOME. I want to emulate THAT!

have a look at my media server room & wiring closet...

Oh man...Sunil, what the heck is that buddy? Wonder how i missed it in the first place:rolleyes: Bet you'd have employed a n/w admin!

Impressive! - but am still fan of that monster breathing around the corner of your room first!

Well I use a computer transport. Have tried a friend's squeezebox with not so good results. I use an EMU 0404 as a digital source attached to a dac. Planning to shift to a Trends Audio USB interface soon though as seemingly thats the best in terms of computer digital transports.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back