Best Media Player

nitinbose

Hi Everyone,

Having discussed a lot about AVRs, HTPCs, Players etc., lets discuss abit on media player.

I use Windows Media player, VLC, Nero Show time and itunes.

I feel that itunes has the best audio quality where as VLC has the best video quality. Windows Media player always seems to have issues, such as being slow, distorted audio etc.

Please let me know what you feel.

I also use a software called GoldWave for restoring audio and this seems excellent!

Thanks,

Nitin.

The best are VLC and MPC with K-Lite.

For audio nothing comes close to cPlay with Foobar coming in at second.

Winamp too is pretty good, but has become bloated these days. Cannot stand WMP and iTunes, way too bloated. Either way once you hear an optimized Foobar or cPlay there is no turning back.

Win DVD and Power DVD offer best "enhanced" quality for playing videos.

VLC, Mplayer, MPC, Kmplayer are good for playing a wide range of videos though.

The best are VLC and MPC with K-Lite.

For audio nothing comes close to cPlay with Foobar coming in at second.

Winamp too is pretty good, but has become bloated these days. Cannot stand WMP and iTunes, way too bloated. Either way once you hear an optimized Foobar or cPlay there is no turning back.

The only problem seems that cplay cant be used with vista. So I foobar, very good still. Winamp used to be my prior player of choice along with Kmplayer for video.

The only problem seems that cplay cant be used with vista. So I foobar, very good still. Winamp used to be my prior player of choice along with Kmplayer for video.

Did not check out cPlay in Vista yet, but online forums do seem to suggest it works in Vista. If you are using Vista then get the WASAPI plugin for Foobar, it's the best.

Hi Everyone,

Having discussed a lot about AVRs, HTPCs, Players etc., lets discuss abit on media player.

I feel that itunes has the best audio quality where as VLC has the best video quality. Windows Media player always seems to have issues, such as being slow, distorted audio etc.

I also use a software called GoldWave for restoring audio and this seems excellent!

Thanks,

Nitin.

It may depend on what media you want to play.

As far as MKV HD movies (avc1/ h264) are concerned, I use KM Player with Haali Media Splitter, CoreAVC & AC3 filter, I have tried most of the media players and codecs, but found this combination to be the best!!

Also the KM Player is highly configurable. You can also can have many controls on your finger tips for easy usage.

WMPlayer is one of the best you can find. I am surprised you had problems with it.

I'be been on Linux only desktop setup since 5 years or longer and I can tell you almost everything Linux multimedia absolutley sucks. The only one exception is Amarok for playing music. Even the gnome clone of amarok which is Exaile is a throwback 9 years in the past. Linux still has to catch up with XP launched 9 years back. Do you know that in the year 2009 Ubuntu 8.0.4.2 cannot play VCDs?!!!

It is only my commitment to the FSF that has kept me away from M$ :D
Its not that I cant afford to buy a license for XP. I even have a pirated key for XP that I used for a year that I refuse to use anymore.

But it is a journey of sufferring nonetheless. :D

Regards

My personal opinion...

You will get opinions ranging all over the place unless you talk about the music quality you are listening to, the speakers and sound card. The feedback is not of much use otherwise.

For crappy recordings, the onboard card, with a cheapo logitech spkars and a media player that supports the file formats is all taht is required for "nirvana"

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Nitin.

mpc+ffdshow and foobar with SSRC and Kernel streaming for me :)

Give cPlay a try. Will make you forget all the rest.

BTW Foobar with SoX resampler is better. On cPlay this very SoX resampler goes all the way to 175dB while SRC does only 145dB.

I m using newer version of vlc-1.0 which ia very good for mov.PicQ may be better than powerDVD, occupies less space on HD.new features too.

I m using newer version of vlc-1.0 which ia very good for mov.PicQ may be better than powerDVD, occupies less space on HD.new features too.

Even I use VLC for video. Hassle free and works out of the box with all formats and is free too. For audio though cPlay is the very best.

Even I use VLC for video. Hassle free and works out of the box with all formats and is free too. For audio though cPlay is the very best.

I will try cPlay.but new VLC was not working properly out of the box.Pic was blue,I read help & adjusted video output mod & it rocks.:yahoo:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back