another newbie here, I have been going over thte forum threads quite for sometime, also looking for a BS pair. Today I happened to audition WF 9.2/10.1 @Vectors, Blr. It was like both met around 80-85 percent of my expectations. I found the results similar to what suggested by many others in the forum
- 10.1 was crisper compared to 9.2 - found Dream On(Aerosmith) bang on in 10.1.
- 10.1 didnot handle the drums very well - Radha Kaise Na Jale(Lagaan).
- But when I played Teri Diwani(Kailash Kher), i was dissappointed with both, couldn't really figure out what was missing, seemed like lacking in fuller effect - might be I was a bit tired of listening and comparing - never b4 done in my life. Benchmark are my headphones.
- The guy played Kenny G, it sounded same on both.
- He also played Masakali(Delhi-6), here 10.1 seemed to skid at one place - which I guess was due to the non-"timing" thing that people refer to.
Out of the two I more inclined to consider 9.2.
From what I have read here, I have planned to audition Polks Audio towards the end. Because I hear a lot of that KEF/Polks make the sound sweet. not sure it is a good thing or bad, I would have to wait till I figure that out. So can't really comment on it. But I want to try now S-520, Dali Iketor/Mentor/Ikon - no idea what is what, CA, MS - I could locate dealers in Blr for them, that's another reason too - i just hope I can audition them as I could @Vector's
+1 for 9.2 definitely. Unbeatable at this price. People say 9.2 midrange is not good as 9.1. But i doubt based on personal experience. My 9.2 which has crossed over 175 hours sounds sweet on ears and kicks butt complete with proper stands and location. Needless to have a sub bcoz i was also thinking in same lines. Easily fills my room of 14' x 20'.
I am using 9.2 since last one year. I recommend the same for your sound-preference:
1. I've heard Polk RTI A1 (better model than Polk TSI 200)... its bass was nothing compared to 9.2
2. Haven't heard 10.1, however going by adverse comments reg 10.1's bass on this forum, this option is out.
(Yes, I agree with a fellow-member's opinion that 9.1 + SW150 subwoofer is far better combo for bass.... but it will also cost far more than 9.2 )