Best simple HDMI DVD player?

ngd

Thanks to the great feedback I rec'd on this forum, I've finally bought the Denon 1910 with Energy Take 5.1 speakers and am quite happy. I also want to buy a DVD player. I already have a Media player, so am not interested in the latest DVD players with USB drive. I want a simple DVD player (region free) with HDMI output that I connect to the Denon. Any recommendations?

One more question: I am assuming that since HDMI is digital it wont be using the DACs of the DVD player, so I don't need to spend a bomb, right?

that is an interesting question, technically an HDMI cable should be able to carry the regular (non HD) 5.1 signals along with video, but typicaly people employ an optical or coaxial cable to carry it even to their AVR......is there any way we can get the HDMI cable to do that duty?

But as I understand it (and i may be wrong) you will still need to use optical/coaxial cables to carry the 5.1 digital signals from the DVDP to the AVR.

Thanks to the great feedback I rec'd on this forum, I've finally bought the Denon 1910 with Energy Take 5.1 speakers and am quite happy. I also want to buy a DVD player. I already have a Media player, so am not interested in the latest DVD players with USB drive. I want a simple DVD player (region free) with HDMI output that I connect to the Denon. Any recommendations?

One more question: I am assuming that since HDMI is digital it wont be using the DACs of the DVD player, so I don't need to spend a bomb, right?

Happy to hear dat u bought denon 1910.BTW how much did u pay for it and wer did u buy it?

, but typicaly people employ an optical or coaxial cable to carry it even to their AVR......is there any way we can get the HDMI cable to do that duty?

You need HDMI processing AVR for that.For regular AVR like I have ,we cannot send audio of HDMI.

that is an interesting question, technically an HDMI cable should be able to carry the regular (non HD) 5.1 signals along with video, but typicaly people employ an optical or coaxial cable to carry it even to their AVR......is there any way we can get the HDMI cable to do that duty?

But as I understand it (and i may be wrong) you will still need to use optical/coaxial cables to carry the 5.1 digital signals from the DVDP to the AVR.

Hi,

I dont use separate optical or coaxial cables for audio, my HDMI cables from my HTPC and BDP takes care in transmitting both audio and video.

I am using Denon 1910/790.

Cheers!

i know BDPs work like this....but what i was wondering is whether DVDPs also transmit the digital audio signals through HDMI.....in which case an AVR with the ability to decode HDMI signals would be able to handle it.

You need HDMI processing AVR for that.For regular AVR like I have ,we cannot send audio of HDMI.

i know BDPs work like this....but what i was wondering is whether DVDPs also transmit the digital audio signals through HDMI.....in which case an AVR with the ability to decode HDMI signals would be able to handle it.

Yes,oppo 980 can pass both via HDMI & AVR like Onk607 can decode it.

what about the consumer level DVDPs? the philips-es and the samsungs?

I am interested in them. As I said I already have the Denon 1910 that does all the upscaling, decoding etc. I need a DVD player that can send the AV signal via HDMI. I need a DVD player that will send the digital signal to my AVR as close to the source as possible.

I also have a media player, so don't care about USB.

hi, i connect my budget philips dvd player model DVP5986K via HDMI to my Yamaha RXV463 HDMI in and then to my TV's HDMI in. The audio work fine and i do not connect any seperate coaxial from DVDP to the AVR. Hope this helps. thanks.

rgds swami

Although, there are a few DVD players in the market which will do what you want ie. send the dvd output via hdmi to avr to tv. You may need to verify whether you really want it.

Typically, the hdmi route for dvdp will be for upscaling dvd players. So you would have upscaled it 720p or 1080p in the dvd, which you send it via your AVR. The AVR if it supports HD passthrough you should be fine else it might try another round of upscaling or downscaling and finally your TV (LCD/plasma) will do this in any case.

Just a thought, may be you have already checked this and its not relevant.

Although, there are a few DVD players in the market which will do what you want ie. send the dvd output via hdmi to avr to tv. You may need to verify whether you really want it.

Typically, the hdmi route for dvdp will be for upscaling dvd players. So you would have upscaled it 720p or 1080p in the dvd, which you send it via your AVR. The AVR if it supports HD passthrough you should be fine else it might try another round of upscaling or downscaling and finally your TV (LCD/plasma) will do this in any case.

Just a thought, may be you have already checked this and its not relevant.

Thanks. I do not want my DVD player to do any kind of upscaling. That's why I've purchased an expensive system like Denon :) I would just like my DVD player to send the AV signal w/o doing any massaging to the AVR.

HDMI connection should work well. Only you have to set the DVD not to scale the Video. Audio should also pass with HDMI.

Else you can use component output from DVD to AVR, as you are not upscaling in the DVD-P. Then for Audio you can use Optical output.

Base models of Pioneer for around 5k should do well.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back