best TV tuner card or box

XDR

I have a 19" wide screen Viewsonic LCD PC Monitor. Which is the best TV tuner card or box, internal or external, which can give wide screen picture on this monitor. Aspect Ratio 16:9 i think. What would be the approximate price? How would you define the quality of picture in comparison to CRT TV or LCD?

Ext is better as you can use with any Display without PC on.
It can even upscale SD to higher resolution for LCDtv.

Intex has similar solution.

There are various solutions like Avermedia, Pinnacle etc. But I have found that Hauppage is absolutely the best out there - with generous support also in the Open source world of Linux.

Avermedia's drivers and software too leave much to be desired.

do we need a tuner card if we use tata sky etc?

A computer monitor does not have a receiver inside to understand either cable or other TV signals. It understands only RGB signals from a computer. That is the reason for a TV Tuner which can be within the PC or as an external box.

Cheers

but tata sky stb has a composite video out that I could connect to my projector. If the monitor has composite in, and the person goes for tata sky or similar stb, then no tuner card needed, in my opinion.

A computer monitor does not have a receiver inside to understand either cable or other TV signals. It understands only RGB signals from a computer. That is the reason for a TV Tuner which can be within the PC or as an external box.

Cheers

but tata sky stb has a composite video out that I could connect to my projector. If the monitor has composite in, and the person goes for tata sky or similar stb, then no tuner card needed, in my opinion.

I guess you can do that. In that case you would just be using it as a monitor. A TV tuner card lets you also record signals.

well u can go for avermedia stand alone tv tuner,which basicaly requires only ur monitor to be switched On.some models come with built in speakers.
they have composite,s-video,high end models have component In.

if u go for a internal or USB based ,it will require a complete desktop/laptop to be switched On,but it can record them.

Back