Best UST projector for a Drawing room

chander

In the market for a good UST projector for use in a well lit drawing room.

***I have been out of the projector game for a while, so not sure what all is available in the last few years and where the tech has jumped to.
Requirements -
1 - UST projector only - no room for another type - as I live in rented houses - the reason I gave up on projectors in the first place.
2 - Screen requirement - a maximum of 100 Inches.
3 - Room type, it is a large with fair amount ambient light during the day - during the evening & night, the room gets very dark.
4 - True 4K ONLY

Nice to haves - Not sure whether these are available with UST/projectors in general but
1 - HDR 10+/Dolby vision
2 - HSMI 2.1
3 - Almost whatever is required to ensure Apple TV 4K is able to play content at it's best.

Budget is flexible, but to put a cap so we do not get too excited - for projector + ALR screen - $10K.

thanks!

Projector Central did a rating a while ago on best UST projectors - https://www.projectorcentral.com/best-ultra-short-throw-projectors.htm

It seems you can source these from US and you have rather heavy budget. I don't think with that kind of budget, you should skimp. Samsung LSP9T is by far the best UST money can buy (if money is not a limitation). Formovie Fresnel 100" screen for 1K USD is the best bang for your buck - so both you can close for less than $6500

In the market for a good UST projector for use in a well lit drawing room.

***I have been out of the projector game for a while, so not sure what all is available in the last few years and where the tech has jumped to.
Requirements -
1 - UST projector only - no room for another type - as I live in rented houses - the reason I gave up on projectors in the first place.
2 - Screen requirement - a maximum of 100 Inches.
3 - Room type, it is a large with fair amount ambient light during the day - during the evening & night, the room gets very dark.
4 - True 4K ONLY

Nice to haves - Not sure whether these are available with UST/projectors in general but
1 - HDR 10+/Dolby vision
2 - HSMI 2.1
3 - Almost whatever is required to ensure Apple TV 4K is able to play content at it's best.

Budget is flexible, but to put a cap so we do not get too excited - for projector + ALR screen - $10K.

thanks!
Optoma Cinemax P1. Use it myself hence can vouch for it.
Cheers!
Anand

Don't bother with projectors in a bright room unless your willing to do some/all of the following -

10,000 lumen + projector from Christie/Barco
Good ALR screen, been a while but last I checked the best were SI and DNP
Rear projection

I have exhausted all options in my search before I gave up and got a TV. While I could have gotten a decent projector and screen, the rear projection option wasn't possible. Even with the choices I explored/listed the image won't be like a TV, to boot the image size would be limited to maybe 110-120" (for me) max due to the layout of my room and other equipment. On top of this the price and I just went with a TV, very happy. If my room/layout changes (it won't) then maybe I can think of a 150" screen with a 10,000 lumen + projector, and even then I have severe reservations about ambient light image.

If using only in a dark room, you can go with whatever. By dark I mean you can't see your hand in front of your face with the lights off.

Happy researching!

@eastofthesun @rksingh1 - thank for suggestions!
@Decadent_Spectre - I am still keeping my 65 Inch 4K TV, I just miss the projector a lot of times due to the screen size! Recently watched this movie - "It is all quiet on the western front". Great movie, couldn't enjoy it as much as I kept thinking about how it will look on a massive screen!

I have been planning to upgrade my TV for a while, but most of the big size guys are OLED which I have not been able to love yet. Mini LEDs are the only ones that make sense, however I do miss the massive screen sizes sometimes; an 85 inch Mini Led is around 5L odd if I remember correctly - so that is always an option. I have the option to go upto 120 inch. So was hoping to be able to utilise that!

@rwnano - that is not what I am looking for!

I can conclude this thread with -

After spending 1 day with a mid level UST at a friend's house. I couldn't justify the cost vs PQ. Considering our media setup is part of a large drawing room, all the needs of a projector I can't cater to right now. So went ahead and got a Sony X90L & closed the deal. Pretty happy with it.

Thanks for all those who chimed in.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back