Best way to clean CDs?

matbhuvi

I used Skip Dr to clean the CDs earlier when i was in US. Now i am looking for a similar option here in India. My CDs goes through tremendous stress. It get played around 50 times in 2 months if it is a good album. So, most of the CDs tend to start skipping :(. To counter that i am burning backup CDs and using them. Any suggestions :sad:

I used Skip Dr to clean the CDs earlier when i was in US. Now i am looking for a similar option here in India. My CDs goes through tremendous stress. It get played around 50 times in 2 months if it is a good album. So, most of the CDs tend to start skipping :(. To counter that i am burning backup CDs and using them. Any suggestions :sad:

If you can't get any sort of Blu-ray/DVD/BD cleaning solution, then use Isopropyl Alcohol (the purer, the better) and a microfibre cloth. :)

Your CDs shouldn't have any problems and shouldn't start skipping if looked after properly. I have CDs purchased in 1989 that were heavily used but still sound like brand new. Alternatively, have you considered that the laser lens of your player might be dirty/weak and might just need to be replaced?

Regarding your backing up CDs. There may be another way. Providing the listening is not too critical. Get the local neighbourhood assembler (or DIY if you know how) to assemble a PC which has USB/HDMI/SP-DIF optical outputs (doesn't have to be high end), then get a DAC, rip your CDs to FLACs and enjoy. If you don't want to pay the Windoze Tax then go Linux with Ubuntu and Rhythmbox which comes with 12.04 LTS. Not the best solution, IMO, but FREE!!! :yahoo:

Last edited:
I use my CDs in Car with the Alpine CDA-9887 player. It is vintage and has excellent DAC. It is difficult for me to get a better digital player. Planning to get a tab coupled with external DAC as replacement (Tab 2 + HM-601). That is so far just in planning stage ;)

Till then, i need my CDs. I'll try out the Isopropyl Alcohol. Will that be available in regular medical stores? Any particular brand?

Even I've been searching for a solution to this problem! Will definitely try Isopropyl Alcohol. I've once tried using a skin cleanser which was lying around, applied it on the cd with soft cloth and it did work. But mostly I just use soft cloth for cleaning the CDs

I think christian paul has an EXCELLENT Suggestion. Alternately plain water with a touch of mild liquid soap..

I would be VERY WARY of cleaning CDs with aggressive organic solvents like Iso-Propyl-Alcohol.

Incidentally, the CD pits are deposited on he LABEL Side, just below the label. Hence if any of he cleaning fluid / solvent destroys the label it will seep in and Permanently Destroy the aluminum pits that carry the CD data.

So ensure that you are safe guarding he LABEL side when clening the CD. Often we foster care on the other side which has nothing on it !!!

I think christian paul has an EXCELLENT Suggestion. Alternately plain water with a touch of mild liquid soap..

I would be VERY WARY of cleaning CDs with aggressive organic solvents like Iso-Propyl-Alcohol.

Incidentally, the CD pits are deposited on he LABEL Side, just below the label. Hence if any of he cleaning fluid / solvent destroys the label it will seep in and Permanently Destroy the aluminum pits that carry the CD data.

So ensure that you are safe guarding he LABEL side when clening the CD. Often we foster care on the other side which has nothing on it !!!

I remember many audio CDs in the late '80 coming with instructions on how to clean Audio CD. And some of them recommended using either Iso-propyl or Ethyl Alcohol.

here's a link that recommends it: How to Use Isopropyl Alcohol to Clean CDs | eHow

Also, most CD cleaning solutions use IPA as well.
Source: DVD and CD cleaning : Computer Hardware Buyers’ Glossary

You can clean the DVDs and CDs themselves with some Windex or similar glass cleaner and a microfibre cloth such as the 3M ScotchBrite. Paper tissues will scratch. You can also buy special kits to clean DVD and CD discs that are basically a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a cloth at inflated price.

Source 2 : Alcoholic died after drinking CD cleaner - coroner - National - NZ Herald News

In his finding released today, Dunedin Coroner David Crerar said Mr Morris probably died several days before as a result of isopropyl alcohol ingestion. An empty bottle of the substance, used for cleaning CDs, was found on the computer desk in his room.

You can certainly use IPA to clean CDs, just don't drink it! :lol:

On a serious note, you should use 65-70% IPA, the rest should be water.

IMPORTANT Do NOT clean the lable side of the CD/DVD/BD

This is what SONY says about cleaning CDs:

Notes on CDs
On handling CDs

To keep the disc clean, handle the disc carefully.
Do not stick paper or tape on the disc.
Do not expose the disc to direct sunlight or heat sources
such as hot air ducts, nor leave it in a car parked in direct
sunlight as there can be considerable rise in temperature
inside the car.
After removing a disc from the disc slot, store the disc in its
case.

On cleaning
Before playing, clean the disc with a cleaning cloth. Wipe
the disc from the center out.
Do not use solvents such as benzine, thinner, commercially
available cleaners or anti-static spray intended for vinyl
LPs

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/cdpcx455.pdf (Page 3)
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000024804.pdf (Page 32)

Last edited:
Dont jump on me for suggesting this.

I use tooth paste and water. Rub and clean the surface with tooth paste and water. Use rotory motion along the disc tracks and dont rub across the disc.

It works and I got this tip from the internet long back.

I'm more afraid to use it now but I was recommended denaturated alcohol. What do you think about this..?

I have tried both "Isopropyl Alcohol" and "Brasso" two days back.. both works very nicely.
Isopropyl Alcohol- cleans dirt,finger prints,white spot etc.. but Brasso is very useful with deep scratches.I have recovered few of my CDs. Try it first with any of your old data CDRs to get practice. After that you can go ahead with your precious Cds.

I have tried both "Isopropyl Alcohol" and "Brasso" two days back.. both works very nicely.
Isopropyl Alcohol- cleans dirt,finger prints,white spot etc.. but Brasso is very useful with deep scratches.I have recovered few of my CDs. Try it first with any of your old data CDRs to get practice. After that you can go ahead with your precious Cds.

Be careful with Brasso and toothpaste. There are reports saying that they work, but you must know what you're doing - especially with toothpaste. That's why I never posted that information earlier. For CDs with scratches, you can have them re-surfaced, but you've got to get a machine that does it properly. The cheaper ones are not very good, so I am told :)

Last edited:
I thought best method is to rub from centre outwards to the edge and not in circular motion.

Yes, that's what they say, but, you can use the rotary motion of a motorised CD cleaning machine as well. Just make sure you know what you're doing first.

In my opinion you should try to copy the CD with " Clone Cd" software from Slysoft.. It works great even with scratched CDs.It takes time in that case but results are amazing & safe too.

If there are minor scratches, I find 'lenspen', a scratch covering tool used by photographers very useful. This simply fills the scratch with carbon and makes the CD appear scratchless.

I have used this and made a perfct copy of a scratched disc. Earlier there was a read error on trying to clone this cd.

I have some cd from 1988
all still working fine
I use mild shampoo
plenty of running water
and lint free cloth to clean
do not touch cd at surface do not rub
RUB IF REQUIRED BUT GENTALLY
use direct tap water to clean

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back