Best way to clean old lps

Can one use regular vacuum cleaners for this ?
Yes you can with a little DIY. Take your dry vacuum cleaner and insert the end of the suction hose into a plastic container, of course making appropriate size hole first. Seal it well. Insert hose from top but don't let the hose protrude too much into the container. At the bottom insert another hose, smaller pipe and seal this. This second hose has at its end either a slit lined with velvet (the corner crevice attachment works well for this) or a pointed end like the Loricraft style wands that then becomes your suction hose for vacuuming the record. The fluid collected then goes into the container. Lots of guides online. There should be enough gap between the incoming fluid hose at the bottom and the vacuum hose at the top that goes to the vacuum cleaner to prevent fluid being sucked into the vacuum's motor.

Regards

Good luck with the cleaning!

I recall getting into Vinyl couple of years ago; went through the threads here, felt frenzy, bought a new entry level TT, bought quite a few old records, started cleaning them with some 'dedicated' liquid soap( don't remember the brand though, starts with E), dried'em, sucked off with an electronic component cleaner attachment of my vacuum cleaner, inserted & again cleaned with the Audio Technica record brush that I'd purchased..... to hear the damn pops, clicks & what not.

Broke the records & sold the TT.

Hope you have some really good vinyls with you so that your efforts would end up being fruitful & you appreciate the music.

Good luck with the cleaning!

I recall getting into Vinyl couple of years ago; went through the threads here, felt frenzy, bought a new entry level TT, bought quite a few old records, started cleaning them with some 'dedicated' liquid soap( don't remember the brand though, starts with E), dried'em, sucked off with an electronic component cleaner attachment of my vacuum cleaner, inserted & again cleaned with the Audio Technica record brush that I'd purchased..... to hear the damn pops, clicks & what not.

Broke the records & sold the TT.

Hope you have some really good vinyls with you so that your efforts would end up being fruitful & you appreciate the music.

You should have bought some new records of albums you own in CDs to feel the magic. ;)

LP cleaning is not a big deal. Basic soft detergent, distilled water and some IPA. rub with soft baby sponge.Gets lathery. Wash with distilled water. Dry with some good microfiber cloth then air dry for an hour. This works for 99% of my records. Pops and clicks if they are too noisy are result of groove damage and not surface dirt and thus can never be cleaned away. This is why one needs to be cautious when purchasing used records. Experience helps.

You should have bought some new records of albums you own in CDs to feel the magic. ;)

LP cleaning is not a big deal. Basic soft detergent, distilled water and some IPA. rub with soft baby sponge.Gets lathery. Wash with distilled water. Dry with some good microfiber cloth then air dry for an hour. This works for 99% of my records. Pops and clicks if they are too noisy are result of groove damage and not surface dirt and thus can never be cleaned away. This is why one needs to be cautious when purchasing used records. Experience helps.

'New records' in the reign of streaming?! Sorry!

Wanted to experience then what others were experiencing by sharing their experiences. I failed to experience & learnt from my experience. I won't turn back:)

'New records' in the reign of streaming?! Sorry!

Wanted to experience then what others were experiencing by sharing their experiences. I failed to experience & learnt from my experience. I won't turn back:)
Am sorry you didn’t get that experience from records. I was into CDs and streaming. Still buy original CDs and occasionally stream - can’t ignore the convenience. But with streaming one is always a tourist , never a traveller.

Still a bit away from buying a nice machine to clean my records. its big on my agenda though. I watched a video on youtube and if it helps anyone, the simple act of stopping the platter when using a brush to clean records works, by brushing half the record and collecting the dust on one side and then doing the same on the other half of the record, bringing the dust together at one point on the record and then lifting this dust outward with a cloth. As opposed, I tried the circular motion with the brush all the way through while the platter was spinning and gently taking the brush at an outward angle and brushing the dirt collected out. It doesnt work as compared. Am I being captain obvious here and you folks know about this elementary light bulb going on in my head?

Hi, this is my first post but have been following experts and their comments for quite a while. Although, this thread is kind of old but hoping to get views from expert members regarding ultrasonic cleaning methods. Has anybody tried? Youtube is filled with tons of them and they seem to be the best method.

its funny that ticks and pops are always debated, for some it actually adds to the experience.
On another note, i am hoping to check out sugar cube's sweet vinyl ticks and pops remover. I heard that they are currently developing the tech for adding on surface noise removal so waiting for that launch.

Regarding cleaning, many methods fail as the detergent mix used is not right and incapable cleaning brushes just polishes the surface, leaving all the muck in the grooves. Wet vacuuming is the best way to clean up.

Hi, this is my first post but have been following experts and their comments for quite a while. Although, this thread is kind of old but hoping to get views from expert members regarding ultrasonic cleaning methods. Has anybody tried? Youtube is filled with tons of them and they seem to be the best method.
Ultrasonic cleaning works very well. Combine it with wet vacuuming to remove any leftover dirt.
There are different school of thoughts on the time of each cleaning run and frequency to be used, RPM of the motor, cleaning liquid, temperature of the bath etc.
I use a mix of IPA with a few drops of triton X -100 added to distilled water. Cleaning cycle time is around 15 minutes with around 10 RPM speed.
Each cleaned record is wet vacuumed and dried. Also use fresh inner sleeves for cleaned records

Ultrasonic cleaning works very well. Combine it with wet vacuuming to remove any leftover dirt.
There are different school of thoughts on the time of each cleaning run and frequency to be used, RPM of the motor, cleaning liquid, temperature of the bath etc.
I use a mix of IPA with a few drops of triton X -100 added to distilled water. Cleaning cycle time is around 15 minutes with around 10 RPM speed.
Each cleaned record is wet vacuumed and dried. Also use fresh inner sleeves for cleaned records
thanks for the reply. Good to hear from somebody actually going through the process.

Absolute cheapest method (having a wet/dry shop vac with crevice tool attachment recommended):

- make a solution of a pint of water (distilled better, especially if your water is very hard with dissolved minerals), a tablespoon of 99% isopropyl alcohol (or 2 tbs of 50%) and a drop of dish soap
- wet a soft, clean microfibre cloth with your cleaning solution and scrub away at your dirty record, getting it very wet (but avoid getting the label wet - the alcohol can damage them! If you can make a protective clamp for the labels that is a good safety precaution)
- rinse cleaned record under kitchen tap (or use distilled water if your water is hard)
vacuum dry with your crevice tool attachment covered with a soft, clean microfibre cloth attached with a rubber band. Carefully vacuum the record dry. This can be awkward so practice on junky old records first.

I have used "Amari Vinyl Record Cleaning Machine" with diy solution. The exact mixture is one part isopropyl alcohol, one part distilled water, and one to two drops of dishwashing soap. This combination of fluids is widely recommended as an efficient mixture to clean records using what are household materials.
This is very best record cleaning, since I used 7 years.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back