Best way to treat room modes??

Hi.. yeah long time.
I wish to upgrade to a good DAC+ preamp+ EQ.
Got to get everything under a lakh.

But yeah.. trying EQ on laptop before getting one is a good idea.
How about using Dirac? It's free to try out for 15 days, you can shape the curve almost the way you want it. It'd cost around 30k if you buy it.
Add a balanced DAC + preamp, with balanced Out, most economical being Topping D7Xs (or Dx7s just google) around 500 USD. Has very good reviews, it comes for a discounted sale on mass drop often.. (it has 2x9038 Ess chips, my Smsl Su-8 does have balanced out but it's poorly implemented balanced outs)
MiniDSP has a model with Dirac in built but its quite expensive around 1150 USD.

BTW the 40hz peak you recorded was with or without subwoofer being put On?

Having 10db peak at 40hz in my bedroom theatre.
Cannot put bass traps. Cannot change subwoofer position.

How did you know you have 10dB peak at 40Hz?.. In my smaller room of 14 x 11 ft, i had 25dB peak at few of the freq below 80Hz..

You should have more peaks.. What are your room dimensions?..

Usage- Movies 95% music 5%.
System- active speakers- genelec 2.1
Source- laptop aux output. ( In search of new source)

For a 95% movies and using laptop aux output.. With this route, you are downmixing the movies from >=5.1 into 2.0 thru aux and then making it 2.1 with crossover on subwoofer.. You defnetly need a media player & an AVR..

Does your laptop have HDMI output?..

Under 1 lakh.

If your laptop has HDMI output (or) if you can get a media player, then getting an AVR like Denon x 3500 with pre-outs with Audyssey XT32 might be better idea, as you can connect your active speakers & subwoofer to AVR (Your movies would be decoded the way it should be (.1 LFE signal untouched to subwoofer)..

With the AVR, you can also buy the Audyssey mobile app, which i think gives you the flexibility of applying the EQ to which ever range of freq you wish to ( am yet to do that)..

How did you know you have 10dB peak at 40Hz?.. In my smaller room of 14 x 11 ft, i had 25dB peak at few of the freq below 80Hz..

You should have more peaks.. What are your room dimensions?..

For a 95% movies and using laptop aux output.. With this route, you are downmixing the movies from >=5.1 into 2.0 thru aux and then making it 2.1 with crossover on subwoofer.. You defnetly need a media player & an AVR..

Does your laptop have HDMI output?..

If your laptop has HDMI output (or) if you can get a media player, then getting an AVR like Denon x 3500 with pre-outs with Audyssey XT32 might be better idea, as you can connect your active speakers & subwoofer to AVR (Your movies would be decoded the way it should be (.1 LFE signal untouched to subwoofer)..

With the AVR, you can also buy the Audyssey mobile app, which i think gives you the flexibility of applying the EQ to which ever range of freq you wish to ( am yet to do that)..
Actually don't remember the details of my room response. So mentioned approx numbers to convey.
Room size 14 x 17 x 11( W X L X H )

Thinking to get anthem mx520.

But I want to buy something which I can easily carry to another country next year.

Have considered minidsp SHD.
My source is a PC. therefore did not. It was far cheaper to run Dirac on the PC instead of having a separate dabba just for that purpose, no other considerations
But I want to buy something which I can easily carry to another country next year.

You make a very strong case for s/w eq :)

and we can set up a meet to measure your room anytime, if that is required

ciao
gr

Actually don't remember the details of my room response. So mentioned approx numbers to convey.
Room size 14 x 17 x 11( W X L X H )

Ok.. Per your room dimensions, you should have peaks at 33Hz, 40Hz, 51Hz, 66Hz and 81Hz, which the subwoofer handles..

In your first post, you had mentioned, you can't move the position of subwoofer & can't add bass traps.. The only other solution, would be to depend on EQ to tame these..

Thinking to get anthem mx520.

I don't know of Anthem room correction abilities and if it does offer the flexibility to apply EQ only to the freq range you wish to.. Please read on the same, i would also try to get some info on that..

The reason i had suggested the Denon x 3500, was this was the least expensive AVR with Pre-outs & ability to adjust EQ to each channel..

Some benefits of Audyssey App, from Denon webpage

This app will allow you to:
View the speaker detection results, to check correct installation
View before and after results of the Audyssey calibration, making it easy to identify room problems
Edit the Audyssey target curve for each channel pair to suit your tastes
Adjust the overall EQ frequency rolloff for each channel pair
Switch between 2 high frequency rolloff target curves
Enable/Disable midrange compensation to make the sound brighter or smoother
Save and load calibration results

You should be able to carry AVR when you relocate..

Enjoy the 40hz peak now, you'd miss your room soon :)

Anthem Room correction is supposed to be superior over Audessey as far as the FM opinions (international forums) go. But the option to specifically target a certain frequency via mobile app is available only with Audessey I suppose (check about ARC) . Either way you need to look for SW based digital room correction (I'd prefer Dirac here) because your room is going to change soon.

Considering the voltage incompatibility issues & better prices in USA, it's prudent to buy it overseas ; according to your new (room) requirements. Since you are planning to sell your existing Genelac setup, it is advisable to buy a totally compatible system later.

How about using Dirac? It's free to try out for 15 days, you can shape the curve almost the way you want it. It'd cost around 30k if you buy it.
Add a balanced DAC + preamp, with balanced Out, most economical being Topping D7Xs (or Dx7s just google) around 500 USD. Has very good reviews, it comes for a discounted sale on mass drop often.. (it has 2x9038 Ess chips, my Smsl Su-8 does have balanced out but it's poorly implemented balanced outs)
MiniDSP has a model with Dirac in built but its quite expensive around 1150 USD.

BTW the 40hz peak you recorded was with or without subwoofer being put On?
I wish to buy something to keep it at least for 5 years. I don't mind spending slightly more if I can live with it for 5 years.

Sub was on.

My source is a PC. therefore did not. It was far cheaper to run Dirac on the PC instead of having a separate dabba just for that purpose, no other considerations

You make a very strong case for s/w eq :)

and we can set up a meet to measure your room anytime, if that is required

ciao
gr
That would be great..
You have gungnir DAC.
My source is laptop AUX output.
Separate box benefit is I can use other sources like Blu-ray player, set top box etc.

Enjoy the 40hz peak now, you'd miss your room soon :)

Anthem Room correction is supposed to be superior over Audessey as far as the FM opinions (international forums) go. But the option to specifically target a certain frequency via mobile app is available only with Audessey I suppose (check about ARC) . Either way you need to look for SW based digital room correction (I'd prefer Dirac here) because your room is going to change soon.

Considering the voltage incompatibility issues & better prices in USA, it's prudent to buy it overseas ; according to your new (room) requirements. Since you are planning to sell your existing Genelac setup, it is advisable to buy a totally compatible system later.
Yeah.. that's the right route.. but I haven't bought anything since 2 years and have instead sold my CXN .
Having severe upgraditis.

Wish to buy qsc SC 1120. But scared coz both carrying it and selling it will be difficult.
Otherwise I would have surely bought these speakers first.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back