BIC America F12 Subwoofer Board Issue and Possible Solutions

GauravK

Dear Community Members,

I've been a regular visitor to the HiFiVision for about a year now, seeking advice on AV-related matters. I would like to thank everyone who has shared their insights on this platform which helped me in my decision making process. This is my first time owning a HiFi audio system and participating in this forum, so please bear with me if my knowledge is limited.

Last year, I purchased a Denon AVR-X1700H along with a pair of Q Acoustic 3030i speakers (purchased from shop) and a BIC America F12 subwoofer (purchased from Amazon.in). However, after two months of use, the F12 unexpectedly stopped working one evening due to a blown fuse and couldn't power up. The amp board got replaced under warranty. Everything seemed fine until last week when the same issue occurred again during operation. Once again, the subwoofer has been sent for warranty claim, and I'm currently awaiting its return.

After researching various threads, I've noticed similar complaints from other users about this recurring problem. I'm thinking whether to sell the subwoofer or explore alternative solutions to prevent such mishaps. Following the first incident, I purchased V-Guard Digi 200 voltage stabilizer to safeguard against power surges/fluctuations. While I haven't observed significant fluctuations in my area, there are frequent momentary outages where the electricity goes off and back on within a second. Interestingly, the second time the F12 amp blew, a similar power outage occurred. It's worth noting that the AVR and all other appliances, such as the TV and gaming console, remain unaffected; the issue seems isolated to the F12 subwoofer.

I would appreciate your suggestions on how to proceed. I'm considering investing in an online UPS, although noise could potentially be a concern given that my setup is in the living room. Alternatively, I'm thinking about selling the F12 and upgrading to a DC power supply subwoofer like the SVS PB-1000.

Thank you for your insights.

Best regards,
Gaurav

Dear Community Members,

I've been a regular visitor to the HiFiVision for about a year now, seeking advice on AV-related matters. I would like to thank everyone who has shared their insights on this platform which helped me in my decision making process. This is my first time owning a HiFi audio system and participating in this forum, so please bear with me if my knowledge is limited.

Last year, I purchased a Denon AVR-X1700H along with a pair of Q Acoustic 3030i speakers (purchased from shop) and a BIC America F12 subwoofer (purchased from Amazon.in). However, after two months of use, the F12 unexpectedly stopped working one evening due to a blown fuse and couldn't power up. The amp board got replaced under warranty. Everything seemed fine until last week when the same issue occurred again during operation. Once again, the subwoofer has been sent for warranty claim, and I'm currently awaiting its return.

After researching various threads, I've noticed similar complaints from other users about this recurring problem. I'm thinking whether to sell the subwoofer or explore alternative solutions to prevent such mishaps. Following the first incident, I purchased V-Guard Digi 200 voltage stabilizer to safeguard against power surges/fluctuations. While I haven't observed significant fluctuations in my area, there are frequent momentary outages where the electricity goes off and back on within a second. Interestingly, the second time the F12 amp blew, a similar power outage occurred. It's worth noting that the AVR and all other appliances, such as the TV and gaming console, remain unaffected; the issue seems isolated to the F12 subwoofer.

I would appreciate your suggestions on how to proceed. I'm considering investing in an online UPS, although noise could potentially be a concern given that my setup is in the living room. Alternatively, I'm thinking about selling the F12 and upgrading to a DC power supply subwoofer like the SVS PB-1000.

Best regards,
Gaurav
Hi Gaurav,

Sorry to hear about the multiple failures. By any chance, is the sub plugged into a dedicated socket which is only supplying the subwoofer and not the TV. And during these fuse blows, did the RCCB at the mains box trip by any chance. And did you by any chance check to see if the fuse is slow or fast blow type.

Last edited:
Hello @Yelamanchili manohar,

Thanks for taking out time answering the query :)

Stabilizer has 2 out ports and is connected directly to 16A wall socket. Stabilizer's one port is dedicated to sub and other one to AVR and Gaming console. Neither MCB nor RCCB was tripped during sub failure. Sub. came with ceramic slow blow fuse but at first replacement, they plugged glass fast blow type. When I tried to change the fuse last week after failure, fuse continued to blow but my MCB tripped during that time.

Last edited:
Dear Community Members,

Best regards,
Gaurav
When the 2nd time the subwoofer blew, was it on the stabilizer? I'm also from Pune. It is notorious for voltages above 240v which is as per the new attrocious electricity standards set for this country. Earlier it was 230 +- 5%. Now it is 240 += 10 %. So as per the new standards it is perfectly OK if you get 264 volts. 264 volts will fry most equipments imported in the country before 2022 or so. New equipments have to undergo certification to withstand 240 +- 10 %.

I have installed stabilzers everywhere. Before the stabilizers I have lost few equpments from the post covid era when the new voltage standars were implemented. Many in your complex have lost tv sets. I have come across few reports of AVRs going bad in Mumbai. So anything precious, don't run it without a stabilizer.

Also many subwoofers the warranty becomes void if you use a UPS. Their power supplies need a perfect 50 or 60Hz perfect sine wave and not the semi-perfect sine wave from UPS. Even the building generator gives a perfect sine wave output.

When the 2nd time the subwoofer blew, was it on the stabilizer? I'm also from Pune. It is notorious for voltages above 240v which is as per the new attrocious electricity standards set for this country. Earlier it was 230 +- 5%. Now it is 240 += 10 %. So as per the new standards it is perfectly OK if you get 264 volts. 264 volts will fry most equipments imported in the country before 2022 or so. New equipments have to undergo certification to withstand 240 +- 10 %.

I have installed stabilzers everywhere. Before the stabilizers I have lost few equpments from the post covid era when the new voltage standars were implemented. Many in your complex have lost tv sets. I have come across few reports of AVRs going bad in Mumbai. So anything precious, don't run it without a stabilizer.

Also many subwoofers the warranty becomes void if you use a UPS. Their power supplies need a perfect 50 or 60Hz perfect sine wave and not the semi-perfect sine wave from UPS. Even the building generator gives a perfect sine wave output.
Yes, right after the first incident, I installed stabilizer so I'm also wondering how this happened second time. There is a 3 second time delay in stabilizer so eventually it should protect from potential sudden power surge I believe.

Unfortunately, warranty replace is rejected this time so I'm now paying it from my pocket to get it repaired (Work in process). I'm actually a bit hesitating now to plug it back knowing there might be a high possiblity that it should brick again : (

Will Online UPS going to help prevent this problem in future? What do you guys suggest.. Any pointers are appreciated.

Yes, right after the first incident, I installed stabilizer so I'm also wondering how this happened second time. There is a 3 second time delay in stabilizer so eventually it should protect from potential sudden power surge I believe.

Unfortunately, warranty replace is rejected this time so I'm now paying it from my pocket to get it repaired (Work in process). I'm actually a bit hesitating now to plug it back knowing there might be a high possiblity that it should brick again : (

Will Online UPS going to help prevent this problem in future? What do you guys suggest.. Any pointers are appreciated.
Unfortunate that it went bad even after putting a stabilizer. Could be an issue with the unit. Why did they reject the warranty claim this time?

Many subwoofer void warranty if running on UPS (my subwoofer has a warning to not use any UPS). So I can use just a stabilizer and I also use a high voltage cut out which shuts of electricity if it goes above 240 volts.

Online stabikizer cinsidered to be bedt protection. Leave about warranty issues. If online ups is there you will get protection and nay be no need to vusit service center .
At my place dailh morning 7.30 i observe reading shows 254 v. Getting scared even through had servo. Go with online ups.

Unfortunate that it went bad even after putting a stabilizer. Could be an issue with the unit. Why did they reject the warranty claim this time?

Many subwoofer void warranty if running on UPS (my subwoofer has a warning to not use any UPS). So I can use just a stabilizer and I also use a high voltage cut out which shuts of electricity if it goes above 240 volts.
BIC America service work in Pune is delegated to National Electronics, Somwar Peth (They were also not aware about this and come to know when I submitted my first warranty claim in December 2023 so dont know how this works). I come to know from them about warranty claim is not getting approved, no specific justification I received. Since the product has warranty of only 1 year in India, second claim I submitted was just 12 days before warranty end and I got this messege after the end date. So I thought I should just get it repaired as its not worth my time fighting BIC on this subject. Despite BIC America's wonderful products, I experianced poor after sales support in India so its a big "NO" for me in future purchases.

I am having exact issue. I purchased BIC F12 in July. Last weekend suddenly it stopped working. When I checked, the fuse was blown. I am having a hard time to find the compatible fuse. Checking BIC service center in Pune. Is "National Electronics" the only one in Pune?

Even if I get it repaired now I am worried if it will keep happening after fixing it.
Any recommendation for online stabilizer? Will it prevent this issue from happening again?

I am having exact issue. I purchased BIC F12 in July. Last weekend suddenly it stopped working. When I checked, the fuse was blown. I am having a hard time to find the compatible fuse. Checking BIC service center in Pune. Is "National Electronics" the only one in Pune?

Even if I get it repaired now I am worried if it will keep happening after fixing it.
Any recommendation for online stabilizer? Will it prevent this issue from happening again?
Remove the fuse and take a photo. The fuse rating will be in a label inside the glass housing or on the cylindrical metal barrel. Fuse is very easy to get. Most likely you have used the subwoofer without any stabilizer. The country's voltage regulation has been lowered to suit one or two private players (actually one of Hindenberg fame) and the voltage can go upto 264 volts. Most equipment are rated to go upto 240v. Before the covid it was 230 +- 5%. Now it is 240 +- 10%. Just hope the SMPS board has not got fried. New equipments coming into the country has to comply with the new regulations.

F12 is notorious for it. I owned one, blew out the fuse thrice in a month and then replaced it with PL200ii and have been using it without any issue since.
My advice would be change the sub.

Fuse spec if writted on the back of subwoofer. It says 5x20mm, 1.6A, 250V. None of the shops in Pimpri electronics market had it. They had 1A, 2A, 5A etc. Trying to get it from robu.in.
Right, I wasn't using any stabilizer. Which one is recommended? Does it help? Because someone in the thread was seeing issue even with stabilizer.

Overall, looking at multiple threads about this fuse blowing issue, I am regretting buying this. Wish I had known this before.

Fuse spec if writted on the back of subwoofer. It says 5x20mm, 1.6A, 250V. None of the shops in Pimpri electronics market had it. They had 1A, 2A, 5A etc. Trying to get it from robu.in.
Right, I wasn't using any stabilizer. Which one is recommended? Does it help? Because someone in the thread was seeing issue even with stabilizer.

Suggest you drop a mail to BIC America (USA) and ask them to provide you alternative fuse that can be used. I am not sure but possibly a 2A one should work. Only a skilled electrician can confirm if a 2A one can be used instead of 5A

If you do not want to spend so much money again if this happens either sell the subwoofer immediately after repair or use it and if it happens again you can go for external subwoofer amplifier.

I have given my subwoofer for repair (as it is under warranty) to national electronics. Will see how it goes. Will ask them the reason for this issue and what if it happens again etc.

I got the subwoofer repaired from National Electronics. It was under warranty. It has been working fine for last couple of days. Wondering if I should keep it or sell it off.

I got the subwoofer repaired from National Electronics. It was under warranty. It has been working fine for last couple of days. Wondering if I should keep it or sell it off.
It's prudent to sell it. But are you comfortable with the depreciation hit?
Yes, the brands products are sensitive to our voltage conditions.
I suggest following what @mbhangui says in this case, as he too is from your city. His posts on voltage conditions and protective measures are of great help.
Selling your equipment is not easy apart from depreciation hit. Packing and sending it to your buyer from other cities is time taking. Furthermore the buyer would face "your" problem and pester you.
Retain the sub and take voltage protective measures.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back