Bipole or Dipole speakers for rear?

TheSeeker

Hello,

i recently got an AVR and have almost finalised on the speakers to go with it. however, confused about the rear speakers. my listening position is very close to rear wall, and at times a little farther and down. in such a scenario, i read that bipoles suit better. could FMs here pls share their experience?

thanks.

Though my Polk Fxi A6 can be used either as Bipole or Dipole; I prefer Dipole over bipole. The ambient sounds (which is one of the most important functions of surround speakers) are much better in Dipole mode for movies.

Of course things like room geometry and acoustics will have major role to play in ultimate experience in my honest opinion.

Though my Polk Fxi A6 can be used either as Bipole or Dipole; I prefer Dipole over bipole. The ambient sounds (which is one of the most important functions of surround speakers) are much better in Dipole mode for movies.

Of course things like room geometry and acoustics will have major role to play in ultimate experience in my honest opinion.

thanks. unfortunately i had wharfedale diamond D10.DFS dipoles long back, but they were rarely used so had sold them. now i read that for my listening position (very close to rear wall), bipolars would be better (generally; and placing speakers on side walls wont be possible at my place unless i risk being eaten alive :D ), the dispersion pattern also being predictable with them.

Last edited:
thanks. this helped. had read a couple of pages earlier but this seems to have further info esp. regarding placement.

In my opinion, I haven't seen that much of any effect from dipoles. That's why I simply have 4 monopole speakers forming the 4 rear channels of the my 7.1 system.

They seem to have a more directed effect and works beautifully in an HT setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, I haven't seen that much of any effect from dipoles. That's why I simply have 4 monopole speakers forming the 4 rear channels of the my 7.1 system.

They seem to have a more directed effect and works beautifully in an HT setup

i did read that newer content has more focus on directional sound, hence monopoles are being more preferred (even IMAX is said to have monopoles). however, if sitting very close to rear speakers, diffused sound is said to be better (understandably), hence my preference for bi/dipoles.

going ahead....in bipolars, i have two offers, selecting between which am having a tough time.

1. wharfedale diamond 10.DFS speakers - 17.6k @hifimart

specs:

Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 25 - 200 Watts
Sensitivity (1W@1m) 90 dB
Frequency Response 70 - 20 kHz
Bass Unit: 2 x 125 mm Kevlar
Treble Unit: 2 x 25 mm Neo Textile Dome

2. SMDaudio bipolars (18k a pair)

specs:

2-way 4-driver bass reflex (front-ported)

nom. impedance - 8 ohms

mid-bass - 105mm paper cone

HF driver - 50mm full-range altec lansing

power-handling - 100W RMS

crossover-point - 500Hz

cabinet - 12mm high-density MDF

wall-mountable

damping mat - dupont fiberfill

connectors - banana plug compatible

Hi

Audition and decide.....I would prefer the Wharfedale unless there is a wow factor with SMD

means another round of demo! :(
i had a demo of the SMD bipolars, but unfortunately they werent set-up as the rear spkrs at that time.
Mr. Anil of HFM is also a helpful person. i'll book an appointment there first. will then head to SMD for another round, before taking a decision.

i did read that newer content has more focus on directional sound, hence monopoles are being more preferred (even IMAX is said to have monopoles). however, if sitting very close to rear speakers, diffused sound is said to be better (understandably), hence my preference for bi/dipoles.

If you have an option, you can wall mount it on speaker holders and tilt them to direct towards the seating position. Also, most of the heavy lifting is done by your fronts and center. Spending too much on rears is just a waste of money.

If you have a decent sub, go for cube speakers in the rear and angle them towards you since even the woofer is hardly used by the rear channels. And definitely don't spend on a separate amp for them. Let the integrated amp run the rears and later buy a dedicated 3 channel amp for the forward speakers

Last edited:
tough luck!

HFM doesnt have the wharfedale DFS for demo. :(

@efernand1 - do you know whether these wharfefdale DFS are bipolar or dipolar? HFM product-page tells them to be bipolar. however on the web am reading dipolar. i had these speakers a couple of years back but sold them off as had used them rarely. i clearly recall that even then these were known as 'dipoles'. something seems to be fishy. :rolleyes:

If you have an option, you can wall mount it on speaker holders and tilt them to direct towards the seating position. Also, most of the heavy lifting is done by your fronts and center. Spending too much on rears is just a waste of money.

If you have a decent sub, go for cube speakers in the rear and angle them towards you since even the woofer is hardly used by the rear channels. And definitely don't spend on a separate amp for them. Let the integrated amp run the rears and later buy a dedicated 3 channel amp for the forward speakers

dont have a sub yet.

@theseeker

Not too sure....suggest you see some YouTube videos and check...am sure all answers are there....

could barely find any video of the wharfedale DFS on youtube, let alone any review. :)
anyway, its a bipole speaker. read somewhere (i think in the manual). verified through some threads on other av forums.
one more point - HFM has listed a second pair of these speakers, but they have a little different innards. this particular pair is not listed on wharfedale's site, not does have a brochure. the link to the brochure on HFM's product-listing page is also dead. here's the product-page. thought of just apprising members:

original pair, listed on wharfedale's site too - Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS Rear Surround Speakers (Black Pair)

modified version, not listed on WD's site - Wharfedale Diamond DFS Diffuse Surround Speaker (Pair in Black finish)

the differences are in the mid-bass driver size, tweeter-material (perhaps), wattage, freq. response, sensitivity, dimensions, and in shade of colour perhaps.

nevertheless, after some royal confusion y'day between the SMDaudio and wharefdale bipolars and after much discussion, i finally discarded both and decided to relax my budgetary-constraint a bit, to include:

- surrounds (bipoles; 15" tall x 15" wide) - 165mm mid-bass driver, 250W RMS, freq. response of 38-20kHz, titanium-dome LFS tweeters with neodymium magnets

- sub - 12", 250W...could be made in dual-driver mode if size is an issue. but presently looks like can be accommodated in single-driver design itself.

@ The Seeker

Sounds promising......post pics once you have the setup in place....

surely!

i'll have the center and the ceiling speakers tomorrow. surrounds will take time as the cabinets are not yet ready. will pick up sub alongwith the surrounds after 3-4 weeks.

surely!

i'll have the center and the ceiling speakers tomorrow. surrounds will take time as the cabinets are not yet ready. will pick up sub alongwith the surrounds after 3-4 weeks.
Its all sounding quite interesting, please keep the thread updated with necessary pictures. Though I'm not, but There are many experienced FMs who could chip in with valuable suggestions.

totally, will. i just may require some suggestions about the optimum spot to install the satellites on the ceiling WRT the listening-position.

hello gents!

i got the center channel and the swivel satellites. the center channel itself can act like a mini floorstander for music-listening; its big, and its too good! will share the pics soon. :clapping:

furthermore, i got speaker-cables as well y'day. however, i've hit a roadblock now!

1. i dont have mounts to hang the satellites from the ceiling. i came across the following, but the feedback dont instill confidence.

2.1, 5.1, 7.1 Wall / Ceiling mount(MultiDirection) for Surround Speakers Price: Buy 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 Wall / Ceiling mount(MultiDirection) for Surround Speakers Online in India -Amazon.in

any suggestions/options?

2. i surmise that i'd need a small-medium sized AV rack as well, because in the present rack, it would be cumbersome to connect-disconnect cables frequently. the rear is blocked by wall, so everytime i will have to take the AVR out to sort the connections. again, any suggestions pls?

requesting attention of @efernand1, @drkrack, @sam9s, @mash, @spirovious, @elangoas, @balzac and others

poor foresight on my part. should have planned for some of these things beforehand itself, to avoid delay in the whole setup process.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back