Black Friday Roon Labs

But the interface and ease is at another level... Hardly any comparison
True Indeed. That's why I said, once you are in the Roon eco-system, it's challenging to move out. Enjoy it... Just make sure you disable the Auto-Renewal; it will automatically be upgraded to the Yearly plan after three months.

Just downloaded it, so far hate it. JRiver is infinitely better.
In what sense do you hate it sir? The sound quality is far better on Roon than Jriver when I last tried it last year around the same time. Apparently they have made improvements in the past year to the sound quality whereas Jriver has had none.. So curious to know if you hate the interface, the sound quality, the price (I hate it's price which is why I have stuck with Jriver) or maybe the name itself?

In what sense do you hate it sir? The sound quality is far better on Roon than Jriver when I last tried it last year around the same time. Apparently they have made improvements in the past year to the sound quality whereas Jriver has had none.. So curious to know if you hate the interface, the sound quality, the price (I hate it's price which is why I have stuck with Jriver) or maybe the name itself?

The interface and the sound, JRiver sounds better to me. This sounds like it's trying to modify the signal.

You can't actually "improve" the sound quality in a player, you can either playback the file perfectly or you can modify it. Subjective preferences aside.

The interface and the sound, JRiver sounds better to me. This sounds like it's trying to modify the signal.

You can't actually "improve" the sound quality in a player, you can either playback the file perfectly or you can modify it. Subjective preferences aside.
Fair enough... I for one find a huge improvement in SQ vis a vis the details, openness of sound in Roon versus the Jriver.. It's the bloody price which I hate and which makes me stick with Jriver..

True Indeed. That's why I said, once you are in the Roon eco-system, it's challenging to move out. Enjoy it... Just make sure you disable the Auto-Renewal; it will automatically be upgraded to the Yearly plan after three months.
Hehe yeah that's the first thing I did

Fair enough... I for one find a huge improvement in SQ vis a vis the details, openness of sound in Roon versus the Jriver.. It's the bloody price which I hate and which makes me stick with Jriver..

If the software was worthy I'd pay the price.

As an aside, you can get more details/openness with DSP. It is highly likely that Roon is manipulating the signal. I prefer to add flavor to my sound via DSP rather than through the player.

1 dollar for 3 months was a no-brainer. Will try it out this weekend. Since my primary source is MooDe Audio based transport, will have to see how to integrate.

Having heard so much about Roon, I am inclined to try it out given the software stack is practically free during the trial.

However before setting it all up, I was curious to know if there is any benefit to using this for a user who is otherwise indifferent to sampling rates higher than 44.1 /48khz?

If the software was worthy I'd pay the price.

As an aside, you can get more details/openness with DSP. It is highly likely that Roon is manipulating the signal. I prefer to add flavor to my sound via DSP rather than through the player.
The know devil vs unknown angel :)

Wanted to pick your brain on this since you seem to know what exactly to do. what is the typical kind of flavour one could add ie is it usually any particular frequency range one can modify on the main signal or is it some kind of harmonics/timbre control etc ?

... As an aside, you can get more details/openness with DSP. It is highly likely that Roon is manipulating the signal. I prefer to add flavor to my sound via DSP rather than through the player.
If as you allude, Roon is likely manipulating the signal, that "manipulation" is also termed DSP. DSP is a terminology used to refer to any alteration made, in the digital domain, to the original signal data. At what stage it is done is of no relevance.

Last edited:
One can improve the SQ rendered by a player (if one codes it) vs. another player. Depends upon how the rendering was done in the other player and external to the renderer, depends on the layers of OS software it passes through post render and depends on scheduling priorities given to those layers (among other tweaks) and..... I can go on and on but it will be a humongous post hence I'll refrain from going any further.
If one gathers the data output at the final endpoint of both players and compares the gathered dsta, they will be bit identical but that is NOT the whole story.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back