Black Velvet fabric

Tuhin Lavania

Has anyone here put on Black velvet fabric to cut on side wall, floor and ceiling reflections ?
I have a dedicated room, with flat black painted all over and black carpet. I knew paint is not going to do the job and the only thing which will work is Black velvet.

So i went ahead and brought 3 samples of the fabric from a manufacturing unit here, out of those three, one seems much darker but gives out some shine when subjected to direct light.
Is there any specification for this fabric ? The composition of the fabric ?
Some details like this would help.
I plan to cover ceiling, side walls and floor with the fabric, atleast till MLP. Goal is to create a image floating in the black type effect. So when sitting down to watch a movie, only the image should be visible and nothing else.
Gear is JVC NX 7 ( low lamp on HDR with color filter engaged ) and a 120 inch 2.35 1.0 gain screen.

Thank You.

No, its not treated. I think the room can be treated for sound, later ?
Might be a bit more work later i know but sound treatments cant be done now.
I have to mount the Projector as well and its a pain considering the carpet is done, but will have to go through it.

I'm more interested in doing video treatments now as i cant stand the reflections which the side walls and floor give. They are very distracting.

An acoustically transparent fabric is needed..
Black and non reflective.
As it should satisfy both Audio and video needs..
Velvet doesn't meet the audio requirements..
I recently tested 10 samples and found 3 of them suitable.

There are sound absorption panels which can absorb reflections as well. I mean with the materials they use. It would not be a cheap solution, but since you own a JVC, I guess you should consider that route. It will solve your audio and video problems.

I dont think there is anything better than Black Velvet for light reflections.

Plus i seriously doubt if a thin fabric like the velvet can pose any hindrance to sound.

What fabriic is used in theatres for the walls?

Has anyone here put on Black velvet fabric to cut on side wall, floor and ceiling reflections ?
I have a dedicated room, with flat black painted all over and black carpet. I knew paint is not going to do the job and the only thing which will work is Black velvet.

So i went ahead and brought 3 samples of the fabric from a manufacturing unit here, out of those three, one seems much darker but gives out some shine when subjected to direct light.
Is there any specification for this fabric ? The composition of the fabric ?
Some details like this would help.
I plan to cover ceiling, side walls and floor with the fabric, atleast till MLP. Goal is to create a image floating in the black type effect. So when sitting down to watch a movie, only the image should be visible and nothing else.
Gear is JVC NX 7 ( low lamp on HDR with color filter engaged ) and a 120 inch 2.35 1.0 gain screen.

Thank You.
Are the speakers in wall?
I dont understand why you would need a acoustic transparent fabric if the speakers are not in wall.
Am i missing something?

Are the speakers in wall?

I dont understand why you would need a acoustic transparent fabric if the speakers are not in wall.
Am i missing something?
No, the speakers are not in wall.

The problem is, if i have to black out, there is nothing better than Black Velvet / Commando Cloth or Duvetyne. Flat Black paint works but not like the fabric. How much it affects the sound, i will have to see.

Last edited:
Back