Blind Luck

coaltrain

At the height of the pandemic last year, my cdp decided to throw a tantrum. Unable to find a sound technician, I decided to search for a replacement instead. Before anyone could yell 'Think!', Aretha style, I had tumbled headlong down the rabbit hole and swapped out every bit of kit.

Well, I'm back in the real world now with an entirely new setup. And, by sheer fluke, it manages to nail that elusive 'synergy' we all crave. This is pretty interesting because I religiously disobeyed the First Commandment - 'Thou Shall Not Buy Blind'! There were no auditions, no AB comparisons, no home demos, no posts seeking advice. I just pored over the numerous online reviews and user comments, and zeroed in on stuff that was being described as 'musical' rather than 'audiophile'.

So this post is my attempt at paying it forward. I hope FMs can glean some useful info, in case they're considering any of the gear listed below. Without further ado, here they are:

Audiolab 6000CDT > Denafrips Ares II > Cayin CS 55A > Wharfedale Linton

89BC3B3F-5B75-41E6-8AE0-402E0C606F36.jpeg

As mentioned above, there's amazing synergy at work here. Together, this kit produces great tone, timbre, detail, soundstage and, above all, musicality. It's the kind of setup where 3 hours feels like 30 minutes.

Right, enough hyperbole. Here's a quick look at each unit.

Audiolab 6000CDT
Colour me convinced, a dedicated CD transport can make a difference; even one as inexpensive as this. IMHO, the Audiolab is a stone cold bargain for the performance it delivers. However, you do have to be careful with the slot loader. Pressing down on the CD while inserting and removing discs can cause scratches on the playing surface. You'll need to focus after your third large.

Denafrips Ares II
I have very limited experience with DACs, so will avoid commenting on the chips v/s R2R debate. However, I can confirm that the sound is clearly 'analogue-like', with a beautiful ebb and flow to the music. I honestly did not expect my CDs to sound this fluid, while still transmitting all the subtle details. The only downside is that it needs ~30 minutes to warm up, before it starts singing. I run it in OS mode with the 'Slow' filter on.

Cayin CS 55A
I discovered Cayin only recently, and was intrigued by the fact that they're the ones who manufacture Primaluna amps. The CS 55A is the latest avatar of a model that was introduced in 2005, and I'm running it with KT88s in triode mode: 22wpc is plenty loud in my 26' x 18' living room. You can also swap out the KT88s for EL34s, KT77s or 6550s, and biasing is a breeze. The sound is a good balance of modern and vintage tube, with plenty of air, detail and sweetness. Thankfully, it doesn't sound solid state like some tube amps I've heard. Build quality and finish are stunning.

Wharfedale Linton
Online buzz (probably fueled by its retro style) would have you believe that this is a 'warm and fuzzy' speaker. Nonsense. A wide and deep soundstage, bags of detail, textured bass; it's all there. Laser-etched imaging is not their forte, but despite their size, they can disappear. I was a bit concerned that their 4 ohm impedance dip might cause problems for the amp. No such issue. Hooked up to the 8 ohm taps on the Cayin, the Lintons play loud without a hint of strain.

Guess that's enough gyan for now. If anyone has specific queries, please post here and I'll do my best to answer. Below are links to some of the reviews I found helpful.

Audiolab 6000CDT

Denafrips Ares II

Cayin CS 55A

Wharfedale Linton

At the height of the pandemic last year, my cdp decided to throw a tantrum. Unable to find a sound technician, I decided to search for a replacement instead. Before anyone could yell 'Think!', Aretha style, I had tumbled headlong down the rabbit hole and swapped out every bit of kit.

Well, I'm back in the real world now with an entirely new setup. And, by sheer fluke, it manages to nail that elusive 'synergy' we all crave. This is pretty interesting because I religiously disobeyed the First Commandment - 'Thou Shall Not Buy Blind'! There were no auditions, no AB comparisons, no home demos, no posts seeking advice. I just pored over the numerous online reviews and user comments, and zeroed in on stuff that was being described as 'musical' rather than 'audiophile'.

So this post is my attempt at paying it forward. I hope FMs can glean some useful info, in case they're considering any of the gear listed below. Without further ado, here they are:

View attachment 66961

As mentioned above, there's amazing synergy at work here. Together, this kit produces great tone, timbre, detail, soundstage and, above all, musicality. It's the kind of setup where 3 hours feels like 30 minutes.

Audiolab 6000CDT
Colour me convinced, a dedicated CD transport can make a difference; even one as inexpensive as this. IMHO, the Audiolab is a stone cold bargain for the performance it delivers. However, you do have to be careful with the slot loader. Pressing down on the CD while inserting and removing discs can cause scratches on the playing surface. You'll need to focus after your third large.

Denafrips Ares II
I have very limited experience with DACs, so will avoid commenting on the chips v/s R2R debate. However, I can confirm that the sound is clearly 'analogue-like', with a beautiful ebb and flow to the music. I honestly did not expect my CDs to sound this fluid, while still transmitting all the subtle details. The only downside is that it needs ~30 minutes to warm up, before it starts singing. I run it in OS mode with the 'Slow' filter on.

Cayin CS 55A
I discovered Cayin only recently, and was intrigued by the fact that they're the ones who manufacture Primaluna amps. The CS 55A is the latest avatar of a model that was introduced in 2005, and I'm running it with KT88s in triode mode: 22wpc is plenty loud in my 26' x 18' living room. You can also swap out the KT88s for EL34s, KT77s or 6550s, and biasing is a breeze. The sound is a good balance of modern and vintage tube, with plenty of air, detail and sweetness. Thankfully, it doesn't sound solid state like some tube amps I've heard. Build quality and finish are stunning.

Wharfedale Linton
Online buzz (probably fueled by its retro style) would have you believe that this is a 'warm and fuzzy' speaker. Nonsense. A wide and deep soundstage, bags of detail, textured bass; it's all there. Laser-etched imaging is not their forte, but despite their size, they can disappear. I was a bit concerned that their 4 ohm impedance dip might cause problems for the amp. No such issue. Hooked up to the 8 ohm taps on the Cayin, the Lintons play loud without a hint of strain.

Guess that's enough gyan for now. If anyone has specific queries, please post here and I'll do my best to answer. Below are links to some of the reviews I found helpful.

Audiolab 6000CDT

Denafrips Ares II

Cayin CS 55A

Wharfedale Linton
I must say, beautiful looking setup and well written.

This is a dream setup for many including me!!!
Awesome choice of gear, enjoy the greatness of these.
Would like to hear a demo of these in action :p

Mucho gracias, kind people!

@panditji
Grass is always greener on the other side. While it’s certainly a nice space, I’m always casting covetous glances at pix of dedicated listening rooms! Of late, mrs.coaltrain has been getting mighty suspicious every time I mention moving to a new place :)

@amrutmhatre90
Would be happy to host FMs for a listening session once this @#&$*!% virus nonsense is over.

@Sushant Sharma
It was your cd transport query that prompted me to get off my lazy butt and post my impressions. So, thank you :)

Mucho gracias, kind people!

@panditji
Grass is always greener on the other side. While it’s certainly a nice space, I’m always casting covetous glances at pix of dedicated listening rooms! Of late, mrs.coaltrain has been getting mighty suspicious every time I mention moving to a new place :)

@amrutmhatre90
Would be happy to host FMs for a listening session once this @#&$*!% virus nonsense is over.

@Sushant Sharma
It was your cd transport query that prompted me to get off my lazy butt and post my impressions. So, thank you :)
Yes, been using it for a few days now. Will be careful with the slot loading. Dead quiet when spinning. No whirring at all. Good purchase.

Audiolab 6000CDT

Denafrips Ares II

Cayin CS 55A

Wharfedale Linton

Very Beautifiul and tasteful setup and so happy you found the elusive synergy !

That Rack just enhances the visuals

I meant a Video Clip but would be happy to enjoy these in person :p
Unfortunately, I’m a Luddite; so no clue how to post videos on YT. Oh, and I’m in B’lore :)

What was your older system?
Cambridge Audio, Pathos and Proac. So more of a sidestep, rather than an upgrade, at least in monetary terms.

Dead quiet
Very true. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

That Rack
All thanks to HFV!
Someone (I think it was @Nikhil) posted this pic many moons ago and I got it made, along with the brick wall. The only downside is the mess of wires you can see behind.

F9F219A3-0ADC-455F-BB78-D9C257208803.jpg

Someone (I think it was @Nikhil) posted this pic many moons ago and I got it made, along with the brick wall. The only downside is the mess of wires you can see behind.
'you can use something like the below and stick it behind the rack to guide cables. https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B097N8JW4M/
71NNkIxv3FS._SL1500_.jpg

Very nice setup and good research. And there is a dot has been kept to all, most of the speakers in market will sound very good if it is properly setup and also connected to nicely powered amplifier to get the juice on... Just add source too..

Regards

Nice writeup coaltrain. I've been thinking of getting a dedicated CDT but hesitant to cough up for the Audiolab. Your idea of nylon tags is what I use to manage the mess behind my rack. Works beautifully.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back