Blind Luck

At the height of the pandemic last year, my cdp decided to throw a tantrum. Unable to find a sound technician, I decided to search for a replacement instead. Before anyone could yell 'Think!', Aretha style, I had tumbled headlong down the rabbit hole and swapped out every bit of kit.

Well, I'm back in the real world now with an entirely new setup. And, by sheer fluke, it manages to nail that elusive 'synergy' we all crave. This is pretty interesting because I religiously disobeyed the First Commandment - 'Thou Shall Not Buy Blind'! There were no auditions, no AB comparisons, no home demos, no posts seeking advice. I just pored over the numerous online reviews and user comments, and zeroed in on stuff that was being described as 'musical' rather than 'audiophile'.

So this post is my attempt at paying it forward. I hope FMs can glean some useful info, in case they're considering any of the gear listed below. Without further ado, here they are:

Audiolab 6000CDT > Denafrips Ares II > Cayin CS 55A > Wharfedale Linton

View attachment 66961

As mentioned above, there's amazing synergy at work here. Together, this kit produces great tone, timbre, detail, soundstage and, above all, musicality. It's the kind of setup where 3 hours feels like 30 minutes.

Right, enough hyperbole. Here's a quick look at each unit.

Audiolab 6000CDT
Colour me convinced, a dedicated CD transport can make a difference; even one as inexpensive as this. IMHO, the Audiolab is a stone cold bargain for the performance it delivers. However, you do have to be careful with the slot loader. Pressing down on the CD while inserting and removing discs can cause scratches on the playing surface. You'll need to focus after your third large.

Denafrips Ares II
I have very limited experience with DACs, so will avoid commenting on the chips v/s R2R debate. However, I can confirm that the sound is clearly 'analogue-like', with a beautiful ebb and flow to the music. I honestly did not expect my CDs to sound this fluid, while still transmitting all the subtle details. The only downside is that it needs ~30 minutes to warm up, before it starts singing. I run it in OS mode with the 'Slow' filter on.

Cayin CS 55A
I discovered Cayin only recently, and was intrigued by the fact that they're the ones who manufacture Primaluna amps. The CS 55A is the latest avatar of a model that was introduced in 2005, and I'm running it with KT88s in triode mode: 22wpc is plenty loud in my 26' x 18' living room. You can also swap out the KT88s for EL34s, KT77s or 6550s, and biasing is a breeze. The sound is a good balance of modern and vintage tube, with plenty of air, detail and sweetness. Thankfully, it doesn't sound solid state like some tube amps I've heard. Build quality and finish are stunning.

Wharfedale Linton
Online buzz (probably fueled by its retro style) would have you believe that this is a 'warm and fuzzy' speaker. Nonsense. A wide and deep soundstage, bags of detail, textured bass; it's all there. Laser-etched imaging is not their forte, but despite their size, they can disappear. I was a bit concerned that their 4 ohm impedance dip might cause problems for the amp. No such issue. Hooked up to the 8 ohm taps on the Cayin, the Lintons play loud without a hint of strain.

Guess that's enough gyan for now. If anyone has specific queries, please post here and I'll do my best to answer. Below are links to some of the reviews I found helpful.

Audiolab 6000CDT

Denafrips Ares II

Cayin CS 55A

Wharfedale Linton
Awesome Write Up! Congratulations on the setup!

Lovely ...my wife loved it too...another one added to consider for our future setup...one suggestion instead of the big painting you can consider putting a 18-24 inch monitor in portrait mode and it can display only the cover art of your music in big and set anything as wallpaper too (like samsung frame)

Nice writeup coaltrain. I've been thinking of getting a dedicated CDT but hesitant to cough up for the Audiolab. Your idea of nylon tags is what I use to manage the mess behind my rack. Works beautifully.
I guess a transport only makes sense if you have a reasonable collection of silver discs. I didn’t have much of a choice as all my music is on cd.
I did try switching in my two Blu-ray players as transports, when my cdp started misbehaving; a Toshiba and a Sony. For some reason, both sounded insipid In my setup.

instead of the big painting you can consider putting a 18-24 inch monitor
The poster of Dizzy blowing bubblegum has confused the hell out of new visitors for many years now! It’s worth keeping him just to watch people trying to figure out what’s going on :)

I guess a transport only makes sense if you have a reasonable collection of silver discs. I didn’t have much of a choice as all my music is on cd.
I did try switching in my two Blu-ray players as transports, when my cdp started misbehaving; a Toshiba and a Sony. For some reason, both sounded insipid In my setup.
I have an small LP collection of the classics ~ 150 - Floyd, Santana, Zappa, Shakti and blah, but never got into vinyl. In the 90s CDs were compact and most of the 'discoveries' were available to buy. LPs were very expensive then. The silver discs number close to 1200. I'm still buying :) , and have converted most to digital.

Been a Marantz fan for their 'utility' value and have cycled through a few KI series. They always end up with a broken tray mechanism which was unobtanium and then - R.i.P. Yes, I even replaced the tray, which broke again :(

Right now, have a CD6004 with a replaced tray which seems to be spinning ok :rolleyes:. Isn't the Audiolab CDT going for ~ 40K ?

They always end up with a broken tray
This!
CH Precision has just launched a transport for $46,000, and it has a cd tray. That’s the only reason I’m not buying one :)

1200 CDs is a more than reasonable collection! You’re definitely a candidate for a good transport; perhaps, even a Jay’s top loader?
Yes, the Audiolab is ~45k at HifiMart, which is where I bought mine.

Go on, Sunil, take the red pill! :)

:D the CH precision looks wow. Jay's top loader is going for $2000+, way above what I want to spend. I was looking at the Tascam CD200 for a while which has a well reviewed tray mechanism from the professional line.

Maybe Audiolab :)

At the height of the pandemic last year, my cdp decided to throw a tantrum. Unable to find a sound technician, I decided to search for a replacement instead. Before anyone could yell 'Think!', Aretha style, I had tumbled headlong down the rabbit hole and swapped out every bit of kit.

Well, I'm back in the real world now with an entirely new setup. And, by sheer fluke, it manages to nail that elusive 'synergy' we all crave. This is pretty interesting because I religiously disobeyed the First Commandment - 'Thou Shall Not Buy Blind'! There were no auditions, no AB comparisons, no home demos, no posts seeking advice. I just pored over the numerous online reviews and user comments, and zeroed in on stuff that was being described as 'musical' rather than 'audiophile'.

So this post is my attempt at paying it forward. I hope FMs can glean some useful info, in case they're considering any of the gear listed below. Without further ado, here they are:

View attachment 66961

As mentioned above, there's amazing synergy at work here. Together, this kit produces great tone, timbre, detail, soundstage and, above all, musicality. It's the kind of setup where 3 hours feels like 30 minutes.

Audiolab 6000CDT
Colour me convinced, a dedicated CD transport can make a difference; even one as inexpensive as this. IMHO, the Audiolab is a stone cold bargain for the performance it delivers. However, you do have to be careful with the slot loader. Pressing down on the CD while inserting and removing discs can cause scratches on the playing surface. You'll need to focus after your third large.

Denafrips Ares II
I have very limited experience with DACs, so will avoid commenting on the chips v/s R2R debate. However, I can confirm that the sound is clearly 'analogue-like', with a beautiful ebb and flow to the music. I honestly did not expect my CDs to sound this fluid, while still transmitting all the subtle details. The only downside is that it needs ~30 minutes to warm up, before it starts singing. I run it in OS mode with the 'Slow' filter on.

Cayin CS 55A
I discovered Cayin only recently, and was intrigued by the fact that they're the ones who manufacture Primaluna amps. The CS 55A is the latest avatar of a model that was introduced in 2005, and I'm running it with KT88s in triode mode: 22wpc is plenty loud in my 26' x 18' living room. You can also swap out the KT88s for EL34s, KT77s or 6550s, and biasing is a breeze. The sound is a good balance of modern and vintage tube, with plenty of air, detail and sweetness. Thankfully, it doesn't sound solid state like some tube amps I've heard. Build quality and finish are stunning.

Wharfedale Linton
Online buzz (probably fueled by its retro style) would have you believe that this is a 'warm and fuzzy' speaker. Nonsense. A wide and deep soundstage, bags of detail, textured bass; it's all there. Laser-etched imaging is not their forte, but despite their size, they can disappear. I was a bit concerned that their 4 ohm impedance dip might cause problems for the amp. No such issue. Hooked up to the 8 ohm taps on the Cayin, the Lintons play loud without a hint of strain.

Guess that's enough gyan for now. If anyone has specific queries, please post here and I'll do my best to answer. Below are links to some of the reviews I found helpful.

Audiolab 6000CDT

Denafrips Ares II

Cayin CS 55A

Wharfedale Linton
The setup looks great. Getting the right tonality right in one go as a combo is wonderful. Individually , the components seem to punch way above their weight. ENJOY.

View attachment 66961

Audiolab 6000CDT

Denafrips Ares II

Cayin CS 55A

Wharfedale Linton

Audiolab 6000CDT

Denafrips Ares II

Cayin CS 55A

Wharfedale Linton
Drool worthy setup - in a country like ours with mostly blind buying as the only option it's nice to see you found what you are looking for

mostly blind buying as the only option

Further compounded by Covid.
I should mention that I didn’t get everything at one shot; rather, it was one component at a time, with a lot of research in between. Knowing what you want, and reading between the lines, is perhaps essential to the process.
It also helped that these were relatively inexpensive buys. I wouldn’t have attempted this otherwise.

Further compounded by Covid.
I should mention that I didn’t get everything at one shot; rather, it was one component at a time, with a lot of research in between. Knowing what you want, and reading between the lines, is perhaps essential to the process.
It also helped that these were relatively inexpensive buys. I wouldn’t have attempted this otherwise.
Going thru the same myself so I know exactly what you mean. Happy listening sir!

A pretty accurate take on the Linton’s sound signature.
One point most of these YT reviewers don’t get right is regarding the grilles. They’re supposed to be kept on, in order to ameliorate the effects of the wide baffle and chamfered edges. No point yanking them off for listening sessions.

Update: Tube Rolling the Cayin CS55A

Stock:
Preamp: Electro Harmonix 12AU7 x 2; 12AX7 x 2
Power: Shuguang KT88 x 4
Rolled:
Preamp: BEL 5814A x 2; ECC83 x 2 (NOS)
Power: Psvane KT88C x 4 (new production)

Notes:
- The 5814A is a military spec 12AU7 with a more rugged construction for lower noise/microphonics.
- ECC83 is the European nomenclature for the 12AX7.
- The Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) factory was set up by Mullard-Phillips in 1954 at Bangalore. The BEL tubes are sometimes referred to as 'Indian Mullards', but I'm hearing something else, too...
- Psvane was formed by a group of ex-Shuguang engineers. They're known for their Western Electric replica tubes, and they also collaborate(d?) with Audio Note UK.
- Prior to rolling, I contacted Cayin to enquire which set of tubes had the greatest impact on the sound. They replied that changing the 12AU7s would reap the biggest sonic benefits. This was borne out by what I experienced as I rolled each set separately.
- All listening was done with the amp in Triode mode. (22wpc)

Sound (NOS preamp tubes)
- The stock EH tubes are very quiet and have high gain, but they're also rather bright on top with a thinner midrange.
- The 5814A definitely has the signature Mullard sound of sweet top end and liquid midraqnge, with plenty of body and detail. However, I was not expecting the bass to be this prodigious. It's hard to believe that a couple of tiny glass bottles from 1965 could sound like you've added a subwoofer, but that's exactly what I'm getting. Is this a feature of the 5814A? No idea, but I'll take it!
- The ECC83 was another surprise as it sounded very different from the 5814A. While the latter had a Mullard signature, the ECC83 sounded like an Amperex: airy top end, clean open midrange and tighter bass.
- The BEL au7 and ax7 complement each other very well to create a beautifully balanced sound. The music has great body, tone and timbre, with a real sense of flesh and blood, particularly on acoustic instruments and vocals. Not SET level, of course, but enough meat on the bone. Definitely a huge step up from modern tubes like EH, JJ, Tungsol, Genalex GL, etc, which all tend to be on the brighter side.

Sound (new production power tubes)
- While there's nothing really wrong with the Shuguangs, the Psvanes just bettered them to varying degrees in every area.
- One very noticeable difference was in soundstage width and depth; definitely larger with the Psvanes. I also noted that, despite all the tube rolling, the soundstage remains in line with the speaker plane and extends behind them.
- Overall, the Psvanes are on the neutral side. This allows them to simply amplify the sonics of the preamp tubes, without getting in the way.

Value
- At around 50-60% the cost of original European glassware, the NOS BELs are a real bargain. Especially when you consider that these are closely matched pairs.
- Thanks to the current situation, new production Russian tubes are ridiculously overpriced. To my ears, the Psvane is a better option and definitely great value for the sound it delivers.
- Avoid the 'gray bottle' Psvanes that are double the cost. The gray coating hides the fact that they're exactly the same as the KT88C on the inside.

Bonus
With the volume knob set to 10 o'clock and your ear squished against the tweeter, you'd swear the amp was switched off! All the tubes are dead silent, which translates to effortless detail even at lower volume levels.

Below: The BELs reveal their European ancestry by flashing spectacularly on startup

1C1A9F82-852A-4838-87A6-81F9053A9A31.jpeg

View attachment 66961

Beautiful room. Can spend whole life there😍 Wife and daughter too say "Wow, beautiful arrangement".

Reminded me of the ads of Klipsch Heritage series (III and IV) with the brick wall background.

Stick a length of 40 or 50mm caping & casing (trunking) behind the rack, make some slots for wire entry from the amp and they exit on the two ends to speakers.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind words, Subbu
Tbh, I’ve given up on the backstage mess. All the cables (except for a Mogami 2803 rca that’s super thin) are thick and unwieldy. It just might be simpler to cover the back of the rack :)

Thanks for your kind words, Subbu
Tbh, I’ve given up on the backstage mess. All the cables (except for a Mogami 2803 rca that’s super thin) are thick and unwieldy. It just might be simpler to cover the back of the rack :)
Don't give up . Covering the back of the rack spoils the aesthetics. Now it gives an airy look.

Your rack has a good, thick frame..A length or two of trunking can easily be fitted and wires hidden away.. for illustration see below link.

or use open cable tray or mesh tray they use for computer wiring. Or fix a piece of simple wire mesh (jaali) on the back of the rack and tie the cables with cable ties.

We fit much thicker and heavier cables in trunkings in the field.. not so easy but doable.

Stock:
Rolled:

Notes:
- The 5814A is a military spec 12AU7 with a more rugged construction for lower noise/microphonics.
- The Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) factory was set up by Mullard-Phillips in 1954 at Bangalore. The BEL tubes are sometimes referred to as 'Indian Mullards', but I'm hearing something else, too...
- Psvane was formed by a group of ex-Shuguang engineers. They're known for their Western Electric replica tubes, and they also collaborate(d?) with Audio Note UK.
- Prior to rolling, I contacted Cayin to enquire which set of tubes had the greatest impact on the sound. They replied that changing the 12AU7s would reap the biggest sonic benefits. This was borne out by what I experienced as I rolled each set separately.

Sound (NOS preamp tubes)
- The stock EH tubes are very quiet and have high gain, but they're also rather bright on top with a thinner midrange.
- The 5814A definitely has the signature Mullard sound of sweet top end and liquid midraqnge, with plenty of body and detail. However, I was not expecting the bass to be this prodigious. It's hard to believe that a couple of tiny glass bottles from 1965 could sound like you've added a subwoofer, but that's exactly what I'm getting. Is this a feature of the 5814A? No idea, but I'll take it!
- The ECC83 was another surprise as it sounded very different from the 5814A. While the latter had a Mullard signature, the ECC83 sounded like an Amperex: airy top end, clean open midrange and tighter bass.
- The BEL au7 and ax7 complement each other very well to create a beautifully balanced sound. The music has great body, tone and timbre, with a real sense of flesh and blood, particularly on acoustic instruments and vocals. Not SET level, of course, but enough meat on the bone. Definitely a huge step up from modern tubes like EH, JJ, Tungsol, Genalex GL, etc, which all tend to be on the brighter side.

- While there's nothing really wrong with the Shuguangs, the Psvanes just bettered them to varying degrees in every area.
- One very noticeable difference was in soundstage width and depth; definitely larger with the Psvanes. I also noted that, despite all the tube rolling, the soundstage remains in line with the speaker plane and extends behind them.
- Overall, the Psvanes are on the neutral side. This allows them to simply amplify the sonics of the preamp tubes, without getting in the way.

Value
- At around 50-60% the cost of original European glassware, the NOS BELs are a real bargain. Especially when you consider that these are closely matched pairs.
- Thanks to the current situation, new production Russian tubes are ridiculously overpriced. To my ears, the Psvane is a better option and definitely great value for the sound it delivers.
- Avoid the 'gray bottle' Psvanes that are double the cost. The gray coating hides the fact that they're exactly the same as the KT88C on the inside.

Bonus
With the volume knob set to 10 o'clock and your ear squished against the tweeter, you'd swear the amp was switched off! All the tubes are dead silent, which translates to effortless detail even at lower volume levels.

Below: The BELs reveal their European ancestry by flashing spectacularly on startup

View attachment 69082
Glad to hear the BEL tubes are sounding great.

Btw, when you say not SET level , any particular SET amp you’ve compared to ?

Stock:
Rolled:

Notes:

Sound (NOS preamp tubes)

Value

Bonus

Lovely set up coaltrain. I just had one question. Apple music has come up with lossless audio starting with CD standard of 16/44. Does it still make sense to have a CD collection and a dedicated player/ transport ? Why not use apple music + a good DAC ? Or is it the nostalgia which keeps ppl hooked to CDs ?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back