Blu-ray PC Drive

churfsan

Hi all,

Anyone aware whether Blu-ray drive for PC is available commonly in market? If so, can anyone advise the details of the brand and price, and availability in Hyderabad / Bangalore?

Can these drives play Blu-ray movies reliably? Does any one have first-hand experience?

Thank you very much
Churfsan

Hi,
Actually if you are looking at Blu-Ray for playing high defination movies, then why don't you also look at the option of buying a Sony Playstation3 for around 25K. In addition to amazing games, it also offers to play Blu-Ray movies. :D plus its upgradeable.

Any other branded Blu-Ray player would cost much much higher. ;)

While a BluRay drive on PC would limit your use to the PC....
Unless of course you have something else on you mind for the Blu Ray usage on PC.:confused:

Hi,
Actually if you are looking at Blu-Ray for playing high defination movies, then why don't you also look at the option of buying a Sony Playstation3 for around 25K. In addition to amazing games, it also offers to play Blu-Ray movies. :D plus its upgradeable.

Unless of course you have something else on you mind for the Blu Ray usage on PC.:confused:

I was thinking whether blu-ray drive is available less than 10K (maybe 5-6K), so that it is an inexpensive way to play blu-ray movies. Due to mass market of PC, it is likely to be cheaper.

I want to see blu-ray movie PQ whether it is really worthwhile to upgrade to blu-ray full setup. Of course, hardly any titles available ...

Sometime back I was also considering going in for Blu-Ray, but when I went around looking for them I realised that there are hardly any titles available:confused:and whatever are there are really very expensive.

I think only time will bring down the prices:p

Plus I feel that the true benefits of Blu Ray - high defination could only be seen on a display bigger that 40 ~ 42".
On a smaller PC monitor, you may not be able to get the real feel.

If you want to really want to audition some HD, then you can down load them from Microsoft WMD site and play them thru your window media player 11 on your PC's monitor. This will give you a good idea of the difference between HD ( either 720p or 1080p) and standard defination.:cool:

In Bangalore, Computer Warehouse has BD RW drives. I think it is like 16k for LG and 25k for Sony. They ship all over india. Computer Warehouse Online .

At this price, I dont think it makes any sense to buy these. If we wait for an year, I think the prices will come down to half of what they are selling now.

At this price, I dont think it makes any sense to buy these. If we wait for an year, I think the prices will come down to half of what they are selling now.

In US, for the 2008 X-mas sales, they sold BlueRay Drives (BD-ROM) for as low as $70 and stand-alone drives for $130. I think we will start seeing them in India once the economy starts recovering in a few months. But you won't see the prices go down much unless they start releasing BlueRay discs in India and increase the demand.

I remember when DVD players were launched in India, sometime around 7-8 years back, they used to cost 30K+.
And once I visited a shop and asked the guy to give a demo of the dvd player. And he used a VCD for demoing it ...LOL. Said that DVDs are too costly to purchase.
I think same is happening in the BD arena. There are'nt enough titles, only a few are true HD while many are actually upscaled versions and not true HD.
I have also tried HD content with my PV8 plasma, by playing a few HD (720p) clips downloaded on my PC and playing with wmv player as suggested by guridristi. The TV does look better even from 10-11 ft distance with HD content playing.

Hi

Checkout on Ebay.in -

2x=4x BD-R/BD-RW LG writer/reader :-

AMAZING PRICE OF 10k.:eek:

regards

Hi,

How is the PS3 upgradeable? Could you please explain?

How is the PS3 upgradeable? Could you please explain?

By upgradeable, probably what he meant was the firmware upgrades that Sony puts out regularly. Some of the f/w upgrades are feature rich. PS3 is now blu ray profile 2 compatible and also they have a plan to bring 3D Blu ray in 2009 through a firmware upgrade

Also, the hard drive on the PS3 is user upgradeable.

Moserw and Phantom are right.

In addition to the regular upgrades of firmware which are thru an ethernet connection, the hard drive of the PS3 is upgradeable as well. You can buy a bigger capacity hard drive and replace it at home.
If you currently have a 20 Gb hard drive , and you upgrade to a bigger hard drive (say 40, 80, 160, or even a 500GB):rolleyes:, This simply means that more space for games, movies, mp3s, photos, and anything else.:cool:

Since this player has ethernet connectivity, it could also work as a media centre in the future.

I understand wi-fi and upgradeable memory cards are also on the way.

I am also looking for a HD/Blu ray player.....and I am still debating whether to buy it or not:confused:..... Currently, the Blu ray discs are expensive and not many titles are available.
Enjoy

A PS3 makes more sense anyways you look at it. Its like 3-in-1 devices with a Blu-Ray player, gaming machine, and a media center to house all the movies and music. Even External HDD works great via USB which is not the case with the Wii.

Moserw,
Absouletely, I agree....
But since I am not a very big gaming guy... I think I will wait for some time till Bluray disc are freely available.
I fully believe that PS3 is a truly future-ready product. ;)

Hi,

Perhaps a little off the context (anyway much deviated from the original thread post!!), but how is the performance of PS3 as a SD DVD player / upscaling, let us say, compared to Oppo or even budget DVD players like Philips 5996.

Of course the main selling point for PS3 is BD + Game + Media Centre, but just curious on the DVD front.

Hi,

Perhaps a little off the context (anyway much deviated from the original thread post!!), but how is the performance of PS3 as a SD DVD player / upscaling, let us say, compared to Oppo or even budget DVD players like Philips 5996.

Of course the main selling point for PS3 is BD + Game + Media Centre, but just curious on the DVD front.

To add to your question, I would also like to know whether PS3 is region free for DVD...If yes, then Ps3 becomes an excellent choice @ 23K against an oppo (around 15K, i just came to know its cost) or any other DVD player.:cool:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back