Blu-ray player or Roku for Dedicated Home Theater

desibm

Hello Guys,

I Need advice for my dedicated Home theater room which is getting ready in a month.

I have a Sony VPL HW 45ES Projector with Yamaha RXV583 AVR and Kef T205 5.1.2 sound system

I will use my HT room for watching movies from Hard Disk(BR Rips) and not Bluray discs and Netflix/Youtube/Amazon.

My Projector is Full HD and i have access to Zero or very less 4k/UHD content. I will have HD or Bluray content available. If i choose to go with Bluray player, should i go with Sony X800 which is 4K UHD player which also upscales to 4K or the Sony S6500 which is a 4K upscale bluray player?

Do these players upscale the content played through USB in my hard disk or only the Bluray discs? Can i actually feel the difference after up-scaling? if not i am thinking of going with Roku ultra which streams several channels/apps and also plays content from my Hard disc through the usb port. I also read about Roku unable to play from WD 4TB hard discs due to power issues.

Please suggest me the right option.

Thanks!

If its going to be a br rips then a tv box or a HTPC will be a better option. HTPC is always comfortable and have more room for upgrade in the near future.

Sony UBX800 is a good 4k player without any doubt (based on the reviews online) but it will be useful only if you gonna use bluray or UHD disc.

You can build a budget HTPC at a cost of around 15k.

I am also in same situation i.e. looking for a player mainly to play content via USB and very occasionally YouTube.

I heard that Roku ultra (2016 model 84 USD) is not the best as a media player but great for online streaming so planning to go with Minix Neo U1+A2 Lite (125 USD) which comes with Kodi. You shall think about Himedia Q5 Pro too.

Hi

If you want an Android player which will play4k, HEVC265 formats etc....NVidia Shield seems to be the talk of the forum at this point...see the threads.....lot have purchased and shared their experience.......another option is Sony PS4

If you have a dedicated HT room...this means you need to have a Universal Player which can play all kinds of Discs and even read stored files on external storage....while everything is available online over cloud storage etc.....there could be a situation where you need to view your family events disc...marriage etc etc...which would be on DVD or VCD....hence this is where a universal player wins.....

Look at
Marantz UD5007 / 7007
Cambridge Audio CXU

Pls check the specs on HDD formats FAT32 / NTFS etc.....read reviews over CNET and Audioholics....which i trust....so far have never failed me in my decisions...

Hello Guys,

I Need advice for my dedicated Home theater room which is getting ready in a month.

I have a Sony VPL HW 45ES Projector with Yamaha RXV583 AVR and Kef T205 5.1.2 sound system

I will use my HT room for watching movies from Hard Disk(BR Rips) and not Bluray discs and Netflix/Youtube/Amazon.

My Projector is Full HD and i have access to Zero or very less 4k/UHD content. I will have HD or Bluray content available. If i choose to go with Bluray player, should i go with Sony X800 which is 4K UHD player which also upscales to 4K or the Sony S6500 which is a 4K upscale bluray player?

Do these players upscale the content played through USB in my hard disk or only the Bluray discs? Can i actually feel the difference after up-scaling? if not i am thinking of going with Roku ultra which streams several channels/apps and also plays content from my Hard disc through the usb port. I also read about Roku unable to play from WD 4TB hard discs due to power issues.

Please suggest me the right option.

Thanks!

You've mentioned that your projector is FHD. Then why are you concerned whether the player upscales to 4K? The picture you will see will be native to your display, i.e., FHD. Of course, it makes sense to buy a 4K player (BD or Media streamer) to future proof but upscaling is, in my experience, invisible to most people. On your other question, upscaling is done post the input stage so I would guess it will upscale all sources. I'd also say go with Roku unless you're serious about collecting (and storing) discs. If you are, then welcome to the club! :)

Nvidia shield looks cool, though expensive looks faster and smarter than other streaming players.. does anyone know if hotstar works on it? also is it possible to watch tata sky on nvidia shield tv?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back