Blues Blues!

Whereas with jazz , I like to be musically adventurous and explore all avenues of listening, I am stuck with the blues from back in the day. My theory is that jazz can become a cerebral exercise but because blues arise from the primordial depths of feelings and emotion you can’t sing it unless you have lived it.
I often make this quote which I read in a Time magazine review of Eric Clapton’s From The Cradle , his seemingly sincere attempt to sing the blues like way they should be sung.
It said something like this - When Robert Johnson- a dark dude if there was any - sang there is a hellhound on my trail you believed him, when Clapton sings the same you might wonder if it wasn’t named Patches.
The downside of this is that you cannot listen to the blues all the time , they get tedious.
But when you are in the mood for it there are few genres of music that can touch you like the blues do.

Last edited:
Whereas with jazz , I like to be musically adventurous and explore all avenues of listening, I am stuck with the blues from back in the day. My theory is that jazz can become a cerebral exercise but because blues arise from the primordial depths of feelings and emotion you can’t sing it unless you have lived it.
I often make this quote which I read in a Time magazine review of Eric Clapton’s From The Cradle , his seemingly sincere attempt to sing the blues like way they should be sung.
It said something like this - When Robert Johnson- a dark dude if there was any - sang there is a hellhound on my trail you believed him, when Clapton sings the same you might wonder if it wasn’t named Patches.
The downside of this is that you cannot listen to the blues all the time , they get tedious.
But when you are in the mood for it there are few genres of music that can touch you like the blues.
I agree , infact it is thought that jazz is the cerebral extension of blues which is primarily a form of work music. Just as Indian work music or folk music as we know it as , is the mother of the more cerebral indian classical music.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back