Blumenhofer Genuin , Einstein and Illayaraja

Square_wave, I knew that you were using AP amplification with your BH before. What significant differences did you hear when you upgraded to LFD compared to AP? I also have an AP power amp that is powering my KEFs now.

-John.

The move from AP to LFD is not an upgrade in the strictest sense. To put it correctly, for the speakers that I own, it is more of a wise (lateral) move since I wanted a slightly lower powered amp so that I get more volume range to play with. So for all practical reasons, I am a happier person.

With AP electronics, with the right kind of speakers (especially the speakers that they make), the AP pre/power would be a better choice.

Both AP and LFD are very musical amplifiers. The key is to match each with the right kind of gear.

As an aside, with my speakers, I found the LFD to be a much better match and performer across the board than the nait 5i.

Last edited:
Interesting read on the time and phase coherence and why is that important .

Green Mountain Audio - Time-and-Phase-Coherence

"When a speaker is not time-coherent, it often allows the highs to come out too soon. This usually makes the aggressive sounds of rock far too aggressive. However, the common remark heard is, "These speakers are very revealing of what must be a bad recording."

The high cross-over freq at 5KHZ to the tweeter in the Spendors helps to create the pure tones ( mid to top ) ? It means the mid driver has to handle most of the range and phase/timing issues are minimized

Last edited:
@Killerbrain,

I know two people who run these speakers. First order crossover -- phase and time coherent!

Phase and time coherency are essential for all speakers and many designers are successful in implementing these lofty ideals. GMA takes this to the next level. Along with their inert cabinets, they are very successful in making the speakers completely disappear!

Square_wave , is any one from Bangalore who owns these ? Have you listened to these ? Looks like a easy to drive speakers

An indicator for time coherence is the step response. When I bought my FS5 Jochen showed me the step response curves of a Blumenhofer speaker. The curves are which are actually ideal curves. At that time he said that Manger speakers can also achieve this ideal of a perfect step response. But when I look at the measurements of the GMA speaker on Stereophile the step response is not really ideal. But far better than most other reputed brands. And the speaker that has been reviewed is quite an old model. Perhaps in the meantime GMA got it right.

BTW my Genuin FS5 are becoming better day by day. I would have played them about 50 hours now and they are really opening up now. It is just incredible what these speakers can do. No comparison to my earlier Kef speakers.

Hi Killerbrain, if you would like to listen to Harbeth speakers (SHL 5) in a domestic setting, you are welcome to come over. I have recently got them set up to my liking. My room is rather small (about 11 X 18 feet) and is acoustically treated. They are a very different kettle of fish to my other speakers and each do some things well.

An indicator for time coherence is the step response. When I bought my FS5 Jochen showed me the step response curves of a Blumenhofer speaker. The curves are which are actually ideal curves. At that time he said that Manger speakers can also achieve this ideal of a perfect step response. But when I look at the measurements of the GMA speaker on Stereophile the step response is not really ideal. But far better than most other reputed brands. And the speaker that has been reviewed is quite an old model. Perhaps in the meantime GMA got it right.

BTW my Genuin FS5 are becoming better day by day. I would have played them about 50 hours now and they are really opening up now. It is just incredible what these speakers can do. No comparison to my earlier Kef speakers.

Which KEFs did you have before? What amplification are you using for your new BH?

Hi Killerbrain, if you would like to listen to Harbeth speakers (SHL 5) in a domestic setting, you are welcome to come over. I have recently got them set up to my liking. My room is rather small (about 11 X 18 feet) and is acoustically treated. They are a very different kettle of fish to my other speakers and each do some things well.

Thanks Staxxx , That is really great ... We will plan for it

Any chance of auditioning these in Delhi? Am going to check out the Harbeths available here one of these days and would be great to do a A/B with these speakers!

@Staxx,

How long will you have these speakers in-house ? Did you buy them or on home demo ?
Would like to hear them myself too.

I have only heard harbeths at a demo room.

@HMV,

Agree.

Apart from GMAs, I have seen Blumenhofers doing the complete disappearing act ! They are very time coherent.

The new GMAs with movable treble units and can be worked / adjusted to make sure you do not hear the tweeter at all. Adjusted correctly, all the sound comes from the middle of the mid-woofer. It is a bit of a pain but worth the effort. GMAs require you to sit in the sweet spot for it to do this disappearing act.

I like the blumenhofers better because they are more versatile with all this. A wider sweet spot and great images front to back and sideways too. In the right room, they can create a great sound stage.

I am sure there are many speakers out there which achieve great performance. Although I have heard many speakers at different situations, I have not played with a lot in a domestic environment. These are observations about speakers I have spent a lot of time with.

Last edited:
The more Im listening to these speakers I feel they are more like music instruments. They make everything sound so exceptionally natural. This is what the dealer explained to me when I got them, that Blumenhofer does not do any or very limited structural bracing inside the cabinets to minimize the resonances and thereby enhancing the fidelity of the music. This is unlike most others who minimize resonances and sadly often the music becomes sterile. Blumenhofer lets them resonate like every music instrument resonates and therefore creates a special natural timbre. Its just magic. Im extremely glad to have got the Genuin FS5 speakers.
I think there is only one more manufacturer, which is Auditorium23 from Germany, who has the same approach with his single driver speakers. These are supposed to sound also so very natural and coherent.

Hi there is Soundkaos Wave 40 which also resonates freely and uses tone woods. Audio Note speakers also resonate. I think Harbeth too resonates if I am not mistaken

Hi there is Soundkaos Wave 40 which also resonates freely and uses tone woods. Audio Note speakers also resonate. I think Harbeth too resonates if I am not mistaken

Yup both Harbeth and Audio note are designed around the philosophy of Lossy cabinets..all a heritage left behind by Snell.

The more Im listening to these speakers I feel they are more like music instruments. They make everything sound so exceptionally natural. This is what the dealer explained to me when I got them, that Blumenhofer does not do any or very limited structural bracing inside the cabinets to minimize the resonances and thereby enhancing the fidelity of the music. This is unlike most others who minimize resonances and sadly often the music becomes sterile. Blumenhofer lets them resonate like every music instrument resonates and therefore creates a special natural timbre. Its just magic. Im extremely glad to have got the Genuin FS5 speakers.
I think there is only one more manufacturer, which is Auditorium23 from Germany, who has the same approach with his single driver speakers. These are supposed to sound also so very natural and coherent.
=================================================
HMV,

what are your speaker stands like ?

The reason i askied is that the "lossy" cabinet wallahs seem to prefer
"open " stands a la.. harbeth or the Epos ST12i..

Do put up a pic of your setup.. will be nice to see..

regards,
mpw

To get good speaker stands will be the next step. The dealer recommended to make the stands as light as possible, something like the stands for the Lindemann bookshelf speakers. He has shown me photos, but I find the design not very attractive. Will have to wait and think.

At the moment I have placed them on two small tables of 18 inches height, which is just the right height for these speakers. Decoupled with 3 aluminium cones which the dealer has given to me for the time being.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back