Blumenhofer Genuin , Einstein and Illayaraja

vijwilso

Again , i am thinking of upgrading the speakers and some of the brands sort-listed are Neats , Harbeth , Spendor Classic Lines/D7 .( Pls add more in this price bracket )

With my family not in the town , i wanted to cover some of them in the list . I called Jochen from Listening room on Sunday afternoon and got the appointment on the same day later at around 3 . It was not very difficult to locate his house on the Huskur road.

We Spent around 3 hours, more of listening and 'less talk between the tracks' . I carried some jazz/rock tracks and songs from the movies

The setup was blumenhofer genuin bookshelf speaker connected to the Einstein hybrid Amplifier and source was the digital music server , and also switched to Trigon integrated for some of the tracks .

When we played the Jazz , the B-H sounded very similar to my Spendors S5E in the tonal characteristics and a very smooth integration of the mid/top driver. Like in the BBC monitors , the human voice is beautifully rendered . This is a very coherent speakers like my spenders. The instruments got a lush and full body to it with just enough details without overwhelming with too much of information which usually spoils the musicality , atleast for me . The Voice is very clean , emotional connect was there without any shrill or sibilance which is the first most important criteria for me.

I was talking to another friend of mine who gives more emphasis on the details , separation / imaging . Some of the very popular, Audiophile grade speakers does these tricks , but in most of the cases it loses its tonal balance and or tend to sound lean , on the brighter side and lacks the musical warmth in it. May be more suited for HT applications or may be my musical taste is not audiophile enough !.

So on the similarities side , I liked the B-H for its tonality , coherent nature , presentation of the treble, which is neither laid back nor harsh . It is just like the way i wanted to have it . but I have these in spendors also.

Now to the improvement part , the sound stage is much bigger , more open compared to S5Es . I think these B-H BS may need more space to perform , which is a limitation in my current house . It is more dynamic and faster in the low-end compared to my speakers , but not artificially punchy enough to create fatigue .

The real improvement is in the timing. Some of the energetic tracks from Illayaraja ( not electronic type ) played really really well . it is common with the audiophiles that folks look for a specific quality during the audition and look for the improvement in it . I do it , constantly monitor what is important to me , But this time , i stopped tracking it ( in fact it all fall into place when the music started ) and started enjoying the music and allowed the whole track to complete it and played two more tracks in full . There is lot of musicality in illayaraja songs and I think only the speakers with the good tonal balance and good timing can bring out the magic in it . I really enjoyed it with B-H , wanted to have some of his tracks recreated in vinyl, and that will not happen anyway :(. I am not nostalgic about this kind of music , I have grown up listening to more of ARs , the period overwhelmed with ARs music , but now I tend to like Illayarajas more , however it is unfortunate that these are not recorded well . To my surprise , the compressed mp3 sounded so good that I did not care about the flaws in it . I think it was the timing that did that magic , which made me to ignore other flaws in the recording .

Finally Jochen played a rock/jazz tracks from the TT . This was in a different league compared to the digital audio , Compared the same track in TT and CD . With CD its is leaner , cleaner and musical warmth is lost a bit, hmmm i think to a greater extent .

Here is the exact information of the associated equipments , which i just got if from Jochen .

Speakers: Blumenhofer Acoustics 'Genuin FS5'

Digital:
Set-up 1: Trigon 'Recall II' CD-Player >>> Trigon 'Energy' Integrated Amp; WSS 'SilverLine' Interconnect and Speaker Cables, WSS 'PowerCube' with 'SilverLine' Power Cords

Set-up 2: Trigon 'Chronolog' Music Server >>> Einstein 'The Absolute Tune' Integrated Hybrid Amp; Einstein 'Electron' interconnect cables, Einstein 'Vivace Superiore' speaker cables, Einstein 'The Shield' power cords

Analog:
Scheu Analog 'Premier Mk III' turntable, Scheu 'Cantus' 12" tonearm, Scheu 'MC' cartridge >>> Einstein 'The Turntable's Choice' phono amp >>> Einstein 'The Absolute Tune' Integrated Hybrid Amp; Einstein 'Neutron' interconnect cables, Einstein 'Vivace Superiore' speaker cables, Einstein 'The Shield' power cords

Last edited:
All right dude.. another upgrade bug :). Good luck with your new hunt dude.

One very important thing that can DRAMATICALLY affect the sound stage and most of the characteristics of a speaker is the room acoustics and speaker placement. I would strongly recommend you to get an home audition. I think if you offer the dealer a small "fee" for the home audition and also offer them to carry the speakers from and back to their showroom after the home demo in you own car along with the dealer. I think its really worth to spend that extra "fee" and get an home audition. If you are considering BS speakers, then this is all the more easier. I think the dealer will feel that you are genuine if you offer them a "fee". Well, you can try to get the home audition for free if the dealer is okay with that :D. But I doubt any dealer in Bangalore will let you do that. You can always try your luck.

BTW, if have not already done it or doesn't mind sharing, could you please share your audition tracks? That would be a great help I guess. I am looking at the Illayaraja and Rock tracks you usually use.

BTW, I have listened to all the Harbeth models at Pritvi's place. Very polite and super musical speakers. He played them from high power krell SS power amp and 35W pure class A tube setup. Tube setup was nothing but real musical BLISS. I don't know if you like single malt whiskeys? Its as 'smooth" as sipping down a great single malt neat :).

However, they are not aggressive at all. You might find your rock music marginally lifeless. I was really looking at them, but kinda dropped now because of the crazy price and I am doubtful whether they will be able to fill my 400sft, acoustic room.

Thanks,
John.

Last edited:
BTW, I have listened to all the Harbeth models at Pritvi's place. Very polite and super musical speakers. He played them from high power krell SS power amp and 35W pure class A tube setup. Tube setup was nothing but real musical BLISS. I don't know if you like single malt whiskeys? Its as 'smooth" as sipping down a great single malt neat :).

Thanks,
John.

John , what is the exact model of Harbeth ? I liked your analogy of the whiskey , but i have been a teetotaler for quite a long time !!

I think you are correct , it may not be able to fill the large accoustically treated room , for that matter any of the BBC types. But you can consider one for the bed-room for the late night low volume listening with the tube gear :) . It would be a musical BLISS

John , what is the exact model of Harbeth ? I liked your analogy of the whiskey , but i have been a teetotaler for quite a long time !!

I think you are correct , it may not be able to fill the large accoustically treated room , for that matter any of the BBC types. But you can consider one for the bed-room for the late night low volume listening with the tube gear :) . It would be a musical BLISS

I listened to the following driven by Krell high power SS AMP

1. P3ESR. They are tiny speakers and you wont belive the amount of bass it produces in a SMALL room. We were sitting around 6-7 ft from the speakers.
2. Compact 7. These very a big step up from the P3ESR.

3. SHL-5 mated with a very expensive tube amp. I don't remember the amp as the price of the amp made me forget them right away :lol: This was in his larger living room and that I tell you was the musical BLISS :). Please take an appointment with Prithvi and have an audition. He is one gem of a person.

Well, my bedroom now has one pair of KEF Q300 that are "retired" from my HT room. They are just okay. But the weak link is the amplification. They are driven by my 10 yr old Onkyo HTIB AVR, 320HTS :). The combo sounds pretty lean and bright. I am also using the small subwoofer from the same HTIB setup. But its okay for low volume listening. I use this setup mainly to listen to MP3 based online radio, youtube videos, MP3 and "light" sounding RomComs for wifey. I don't want to spend money on an amp now. I might later think of a Norge Mosfet / Sonodyne integrated later.

-John.

Again , i am thinking of upgrading the speakers and some of the brands sort-listed are Neats , Harbeth , Spendor Classic Lines/D7 .( Pls add more in this price bracket )

With my family not in the town , i wanted to cover some of them in the list . I called Jochen from Listening room on Sunday afternoon and got the appointment on the same day later at around 3 . It was not very difficult to locate his house on the Huskur road.

We Spent around 3 hours, more of listening and 'less talk between the tracks' . I carried some jazz/rock tracks and songs from the movies

The setup was blumenhofer genuin bookshelf speaker connected to the Einstein hybrid Amplifier and source was the digital music server , and also switched to Trigon integrated for some of the tracks .

When we played the Jazz , the B-H sounded very similar to my Spendors S5E in the tonal characteristics and a very smooth integration of the mid/top driver. Like in the BBC monitors , the human voice is beautifully rendered . This is a very coherent speakers like my spenders. The instruments got a lush and full body to it with just enough details without overwhelming with too much of information which usually spoils the musicality , atleast for me . The Voice is very clean , emotional connect was there without any shrill or sibilance which is the first most important criteria for me.

I was talking to another friend of mine who gives more emphasis on the details , separation / imaging . Some of the very popular, Audiophile grade speakers does these tricks , but in most of the cases it loses its tonal balance and or tend to sound lean , on the brighter side and lacks the musical warmth in it. May be more suited for HT applications or may be my musical taste is not audiophile enough !.

So on the similarities side , I liked the B-H for its tonality , coherent nature , presentation of the treble, which is neither laid back nor harsh . It is just like the way i wanted to have it . but I have these in spendors also.

Now to the improvement part , the sound stage is much bigger , more open compared to S5Es . I think these B-H BS may need more space to perform , which is a limitation in my current house . It is more dynamic and faster in the low-end compared to my speakers , but not artificially punchy enough to create fatigue .

The real improvement is in the timing. Some of the energetic tracks from Illayaraja ( not electronic type ) played really really well . it is common with the audiophiles that folks look for a specific quality during the audition and look for the improvement in it . I do it , constantly monitor what is important to me , But this time , i stopped tracking it ( in fact it all fall into place when the music started ) and started enjoying the music and allowed the whole track to complete it and played two more tracks in full . There is lot of musicality in illayaraja songs and I think only the speakers with the good tonal balance and good timing can bring out the magic in it . I really enjoyed it with B-H , wanted to have some of his tracks recreated in vinyl, and that will not happen anyway :(. I am not nostalgic about this kind of music , I have grown up listening to more of ARs , the period overwhelmed with ARs music , but now I tend to like Illayarajas more , however it is unfortunate that these are not recorded well . To my surprise , the compressed mp3 sounded so good that I did not care about the flaws in it . I think it was the timing that did that magic , which made me to ignore other flaws in the recording .

Finally Jochen played a rock/jazz tracks from the TT . This was in a different league compared to the digital audio , Compared the same track in TT and CD . With CD its is leaner , cleaner and musical warmth is lost a bit, hmmm i think to a greater extent .

Here is the exact information of the associated equipments , which i just got if from Jochen .

Speakers: Blumenhofer Acoustics 'Genuin FS5'

Digital:
Set-up 1: Trigon 'Recall II' CD-Player >>> Trigon 'Energy' Integrated Amp; WSS 'SilverLine' Interconnect and Speaker Cables, WSS 'PowerCube' with 'SilverLine' Power Cords

Set-up 2: Trigon 'Chronolog' Music Server >>> Einstein 'The Absolute Tune' Integrated Hybrid Amp; Einstein 'Electron' interconnect cables, Einstein 'Vivace Superiore' speaker cables, Einstein 'The Shield' power cords

Analog:
Scheu Analog 'Premier Mk III' turntable, Scheu 'Cantus' 12" tonearm, Scheu 'MC' cartridge >>> Einstein 'The Turntable's Choice' phono amp >>> Einstein 'The Absolute Tune' Integrated Hybrid Amp; Einstein 'Neutron' interconnect cables, Einstein 'Vivace Superiore' speaker cables, Einstein 'The Shield' power cords

How much these speakers cost roughly. I've started my hunt on auditioning tower speakers.

For the price, the Blumenhofers are a far better choice. i have always been impressed by them and prefer their presentation to the Harbeths (My personal opinion though as the monitor series of the harbeths, which i liked were priced too high for what they do)
my only issue with them was they need SS to play really well...at least did not do too well with my Lebens. But with the trigons (and the Einstein) they are truly breathtaking

the Harbeths are classics -no doubt, but for the price never could think of them as VFM

Completely agree. Blumenhofers are absolutely stunning speakers especially the fun17 and this fs5 bookshelf. They do really well with fast amplifiers and are very very neutral sounding with the right electronics. At the special price for the fs5 that Jochen is offering, they are stellar vfm.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Can BH Big Fun 17 effortlessly fill a 400sft room driven by a 100/150w/ch SS power amp? How do they perform in a hybrid combination ? Like a tube pre + ss power?

I am yet to hear a bad review about these speakers and i am really excited to give them a listen. Everyone who has auditioned these speakers with variety of music genera loves them. Are these speakers that good all rounders ? :).

-John.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Can BH Big Fun 17 effortlessly fill a 400sft room driven by a 100/150w/ch SS power amp? How do they perform in a hybrid combination ? Like a tube pre + ss power?

I am yet to hear a bad review about these speakers and i am really excited to give them a listen. Everyone who has auditioned these speakers with variety of music genera loves them. Are these speakers that good all rounders ? :).

-John.

you must listen to it in Jochen,s room..must be double of the above size with high cathedral kind of a ceiling.
When i heard it it played everything from Hindi LPs to rock exceptionally well. These speakers seem to prefer slightly high current SS amps as my leben could not excite them enough. Squarewave has heard them with Acoustic portait and appeared to like them.
Nothing like hearing it yourselves ;) and you should value that much higher than what we all say as all oif us have out own Likings and Biases around music and equipment.

you must listen to it in Jochen,s room..must be double of the above size with high cathedral kind of a ceiling.
When i heard it it played everything from Hindi LPs to rock exceptionally well. These speakers seem to prefer slightly high current SS amps as my leben could not excite them enough. Squarewave has heard them with Acoustic portait and appeared to like them.
Nothing like hearing it yourselves ;) and you should value that much higher than what we all say as all oif us have out own Likings and Biases around music and equipment.

Thanks ARJ. My visit to Jochen's place is long due.

Do you think it's worth taking my Emotiva XPA 200?. Do you think Emo can do any justice to those speakers? He also asked me to get my Oppo 105 as well.

Thanks,
John.

Thanks ARJ. My visit to Jochen's place is long due.

Do you think it's worth taking my Emotiva XPA 200?. Do you think Emo can do any justice to those speakers? He also asked me to get my Oppo 105 as well.

Thanks,
John.

defnitely do that.You MUST listen to a speaker with the amp you plan to run it with..if you are taking the cdp, take your ICs also. it will also give you a first hand knowledge of your amps capabilities.
Sugestion is to Listen to Jochens amp first and then put in your amp..thats what works for me in A/B

-John.

Since I own the big fun 17, I can vouch for their ability to fill a large room with breath taking music. The fun 17 needs about 50 watts of good quality power - tubes or SS does not really matter. But when you plan with tube amplification, keep in mind that some amps may not work with them. It is always good to check. Quality of amplifier is key since the speaker is very transparent.

I have them playing on an LFD Zero signature MK3 amplifier. About 50 watts per channel. Splendid match. I cant even use quarter of the volume knob.

Square_wave , it is time to change your signature for the amplification . I heard great things about the LFD , i think you are really enjoying it there . ...

Do you think my room size is big enough for the B-H book-shelf .. Do you recall the size ?

Last edited:
Square_wave , it is time to change your signature for the amplification . I heard great things about the LFD , i think you are really enjoying it there . ...

Do you think my room size is big enough for the B-H book-shelf .. Do you recall the size ?

Killerbrain,

Genuin BS is rear ported right? So it might need some good breathing space behind them right? Like 3-4' from the wall behind?

-John.

Killerbrain,

Genuin BS is rear ported right? So it might need some good breathing space behind them right? Like 3-4' from the wall behind?

-John.

Yes , That is for the bass . Apart from that i think the energy level is much higher for my small room for the optimal playback ..

Since I own the big fun 17, I can vouch for their ability to fill a large room with breath taking music. The fun 17 needs about 50 watts of good quality power - tubes or SS does not really matter. But when you plan with tube amplification, keep in mind that some amps may not work with them. It is always good to check. Quality of amplifier is key since the speaker is very transparent.

I have them playing on an LFD Zero signature MK3 amplifier. About 50 watts per channel. Splendid match. I cant even use quarter of the volume knob.

Square_wave, I knew that you were using AP amplification with your BH before. What significant differences did you hear when you upgraded to LFD compared to AP? I also have an AP power amp that is powering my KEFs now.

-John.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back