Advent of Fyne audio and decline of Tannoy?

Miany

Hi,

Having owned and enjoyed Tannoys in the past, its sad to see them losing their reputation..... especially for their much hyped STIRLING III LZ SE .... see the what hi-fi review....

Not sure what's happening with them.. looks like most of the technical guys including their lead Dr. Paul Mills have left them and is right now with FYNE AUDIO.

The self-proclaimed "BIGGEST TANNOY FAN" Mr. Kevin Deal (upscale audio) seems to have taken a U-turn and is now favoring FYNE AUDIO. See his video comparing TANNOY STIRLING III LZ with FYNE AUDIO CLASSIC X.. still remember him referring to FYNE AUDIO as "CLONOY" in one of his earlier videos.

Now it seems like Fyne audio is getting everything right and Tannoy is on a decline....

Thanks,
Miany

Hi,

Having owned and enjoyed Tannoys in the past, its sad to see them losing their reputation..... especially for their much hyped STIRLING III LZ SE .... see the what hi-fi review....

Not sure what's happening with them.. looks like most of the technical guys including their lead Dr. Paul Mills have left them and is right now with FYNE AUDIO.

The self-proclaimed "BIGGEST TANNOY FAN" Mr. Kevin Deal (upscale audio) seems to have taken a U-turn and is now favoring FYNE AUDIO. See his video comparing TANNOY STIRLING III LZ with FYNE AUDIO CLASSIC X.. still remember him referring to FYNE AUDIO as "CLONOY" in one of his earlier videos.

Now it seems like Fyne audio is getting everything right and Tannoy is on a decline....

Thanks,
Miany
Coincidentally, I went through the FYNE story today, while I was looking for the specs of Fyne F301 speakers. Got to know about the TANNOY connection.

Yes. This has been known in a few circles for some time.
Fyne Audio is making some incredible gear and it is sad to see Tannoy decline.

Your extremely late to the party. Old Tannoy may be good but in 2002 or so it was bought by TC IIRC and in 2015 by Behringer (Uli). I'd say anything they made after 2002 is automatically rubbish, just my thoughts, not that I'd consider a Tannoy, not the old stuff either. Pro coaxials today are generally far better than the older coaxials from different companies, some people think all things old makes it better, or at least different enough to show off online. As far as I am concerned fyne is the same as Tannoy, more or less, not worth a consideration. Though if I had to choose Tannoy is what I'd choose, at least their designs are more interesting. Fyne is cookie cutter boring.

Your extremely late to the party. Old Tannoy may be good but in 2002 or so it was bought by TC IIRC and in 2015 by Behringer (Uli). I'd say anything they made after 2002 is automatically rubbish, just my thoughts, not that I'd consider a Tannoy, not the old stuff either. Pro coaxials today are generally far better than the older coaxials from different companies, some people think all things old makes it better, or at least different enough to show off online. As far as I am concerned fyne is the same as Tannoy, more or less, not worth a consideration. Though if I had to choose Tannoy is what I'd choose, at least their designs are more interesting. Fyne is cookie cutter boring.
Did your good selves listen to the Tannoy's or the newer Fyne's. I ask because I've tried a few well regarded pro power amps. And quickly came to the conclusion, that all pro-gear might not necessarily out perform a domestic product, despite qouting better specs on the box. And though I dont have any experience with pro coaxial drivers per se. Iam rather hesitant after my experience with the pro power amps. Hence my query.

Did your good selves listen to the Tannoy's or the newer Fyne's. I ask because I've tried a few well regarded pro power amps. And quickly came to the conclusion, that all pro-gear might not necessarily out perform a domestic product, despite qouting better specs on the box. And though I dont have any experience with pro coaxial drivers per se. Iam rather hesitant after my experience with the pro power amps. Hence my query.
I tried the top of the line crown amp once and it was utter junk.

Pro audio is just for SPL. You don't get the nuances that audiophile equipment gives you.

The only pro audio brand which floats my boat is ATC but then it is not strictly a pro brand but caters to domestic market as well.

I tried the top of the line crown amp once and it was utter junk.

Pro audio is just for SPL. You don't get the nuances that audiophile equipment gives you.

The only pro audio brand which floats my boat is ATC but then it is not strictly a pro brand but caters to domestic market as well.
That is the exact conclusion I came to as well....Big SPL's with acceptable amounts of distortion, and not much else.

You are definitely wiser than me to stop with the Crown.... It took me a few more amps to get the same enlightenment 🤣

That is the exact conclusion I came to as well....Big SPL's with acceptable amounts of distortion, and not much else.

You are definitely wiser than me to stop with the Crown.... It took me a few more amps to get the same enlightenment 🤣
Tell me about it. I initially thought I will hold on to it and use it as a subwoofer amp. But then better sense got into my head thanks to the better half as to why am I holding on to junk.

Tell me about it. I initially thought I will hold on to it and use it as a subwoofer amp. But then better sense got into my head thanks to the better half as to why am I holding on to junk.
Once again you are wiser than me :p.

I still have a crown XTI-4002 in the cup board for...................ahem.........................future subwoofer duties 🤣

See all of us think alike.

Please enlighten us as to what pro audio coaxials are better than tannoys.

Hmmm ... that is a strong statement. I did like the sound of the Fynes.
I would not have a problem recommending having a listen especially to their Vintage series.

I am extremely familiar with the Tannoy sound having heard the Turnberry multiple times, Definition DC8 multiple times and the Kensington once. I loved all of them in their own ways. Fantastic, honest speakers as far as I am concerned.

Never heard a fyne but considering our tastes match with respect to speakers, I definitely would think the fyne will be a good speaker.

Tannoys are definitely colored. But in a nice way. Adds to much emphasis on mid bass. Not as transparent as I would have liked. But I can understand why people love them. Altecs are less colored. JBL even lesser.

I am extremely familiar with the Tannoy sound having heard the Turnberry multiple times, Definition DC8 multiple times and the Kensington once. I loved all of them in their own ways. Fantastic, honest speakers as far as I am concerned.

Never heard a fyne but considering our tastes match with respect to speakers, I definitely would think the fyne will be a good speaker.

I have owned Turnberry GR and Turnberry GR Special Editions (Kensington driver in a Turnberry cabinet). Loved both the speakers and obviously the special editions more...

Fyne "vintage" and "vintage classic" series seems to be getting rave reviews. am yet to hear them though.. but they look absolutely gorgeous... especially the "vintage" series, which I think are entirely made in Scotland.

Tannoy, yes. Fyne, no.
Please enlighten us as to what pro audio coaxials are better than tannoys.

Pick up any pro coaxial manufactured today from a reasonably respected company. Don't forget to spend a few months designing the box and add DSP.

Hmmm ... that is a strong statement. I did like the sound of the Fynes.
I would not have a problem recommending having a listen especially to their Vintage series.

I would not call it a statement, an opinion. I don't believe in "absolute" superiority in anything. Most people believe in superiority based on price and/or technical capabilities. I believe in subjective perception and personal preference, this applies to everything, not just audio or tannoy and fyne. In reality most things are about preference.

Tannoy, yes. Fyne, no.

Pick up any pro coaxial manufactured today from a reasonably respected company. Don't forget to spend a few months designing the box and add DSP.
Why are you bringing DIY into this? We are talking about commercial speakers here. If you want to do DIY there are mighty fine designs at a third the price using SB Acoustics. And why use DSP? The driver isn't good enough by itself?

Why are you bringing DIY into this? We are talking about commercial speakers here. If you want to do DIY there are mighty fine designs at a third the price using SB Acoustics. And why use DSP? The driver isn't good enough by itself?

You asked about a pro audio driver, a driver by itself is not usable. If you were to try it you would need an enclosure.

There isn't a commerical speaker on earth that I have heard or read about that would suit my preference without DSP. For my use DSP is necessary, I think all systems would benefit from DSP for all people by shaping the sound to preference. As I said before things are about preference, it is highly unlikely that a commercial product in it's raw form will be the "perfect fit" for a given individuals taste. I will note I do not endorse using DSP to "fix" issues that is the common use of DSP except in some cases.

Folks, AND with all due respects to DS, in the past there have been many discussions where he had quite a difference of opinion to the general audiophile narrative ( and experience) due to a vast difference in his tastes and specific requirements. He is on a very different trip :cool:

W.R.T to the Fyne / Tannoy discussion, I had the privilege to meet some of the fine folks at fyne at the Bristol audio show and also to listen to some of their offerings. If you like the coaxial sound originally pioneered by tannoy, you will like either brand although fyne has been making forward strides beyond what tannoy did in the past. Some of the older models by Tannoy are still held in very high esteem and are outstanding.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back