Bluray Region's:would these be a problem in the future?

mandeep

hello all,

Currently all the bluray movies available at various stores in india are

(a) Region free as sold by SONY (region A,B,C, mentioned on them, i.e all players belonging to region A/B/C can play these without any fuss.

(b)Region C as sold by bigvideo and Excelhomevideos.

The question is, would this trend continue ---if yes, then i think there is no harm in getting a region "C" bluray player/PS3 as currently available in india----if not ( like in the case of DVD) then we will have to wait for the Region free players.

thanks

Most of the movies are region free on Bluray, refer to this site to know which movies are region free!!!

In Region C India is clubbed with Russia, China etc where its difficult to import them for the region locked titles!!!

Most of the movies are region free on Bluray, refer to this site to know which movies are region free!!!

In Region C India is clubbed with Russia, China etc where its difficult to import them for the region locked titles!!!

AS per the link above all movies are region free for REGION C, then whats the fun to have different region's.I think BDA should answer this.

(b)Region C as sold by bigvideo and Excelhomevideos.

This is not quite accurate. IronMan, for example, which is sold by Big, is not region coded. There's a world graphic with ALL written on the packaging.

I also suspect that the fourth Indiana Jones film is not region coded as well because there is nothing on the packaging to indicate that it is coded. From what I've heard, the BDA requires that coded discs have their codes specified on the disc/packaging. Both the Big discs that I own, don't have this.

Sony, as you stated, clearly marks their discs, which makes things easier for the end user.

As far as Excel is concerned, I've only seen Quantum Of Solace and that is region coded. The packaging indicates region C, but the BD itself is labelled B and C.

What really worries me is DVD playback.I have several discs purchased from Excel that are region 3 coded and these won't play on my PS3.

Last edited:
I thing that a mod chip would be made avaliable(in the future) for PS3 to make it multi region. Right now the multi region chips are avialiable for Panasonic and Pioneer player (Google them and then you would find plenty) Sony's circuit is little complicated to modify. They range around 70 $ + shipping, also checkout ebay.com for region free blue ray players. With the panasonic BD30 and 60 (avaliable in India) its possible to make them multiregion for DVD playback with a simple remote hack, same goes true for Sony's S350 but there is nothing for PS3. As the region locked Blue ray disk's have started to sell in the market so it would always be better to buy an Indian Blue Ray player as the Multi Region Modification is possible.

As the region locked Blue ray disk's have started to sell in the market so it would always be better to buy an Indian Blue Ray player as the Multi Region Modification is possible.

The players are as scarce as hen's teeth, that's why I got a region locked PS3 with the proper coding. I'm enjoying it one hell of a lot for BD playback but had to retain my Sony DVP-NS50 for use with some of the DVDs that I've collected.

Regarding prices, BD movie software is outrageously priced, at the moment, but if one shops around, particularly at the smaller stores *around one's local chandni market*ahem!*, one can get around Rs 200/- off the MRP of the discs. I paid Rs 1075/- for IronMan in Kolkata, MRP is Rs. 1299/-. It's not great, but it is, at least, something.

Last edited:
KDM - Is the Ironman available here in India is the 2 disc edition???

No, as far as I know, it's only available in it's single disc edition, which is disc one of the two-disc set. That's the disc that I have.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back