Bollywood and Music in India

dazoy

Ive been thinking about the role of Bollywood on music in India. I think Bollywood is a blessing in promoting music industry in India and curse for advancing music in India.

Unfortunately music business has been run like a mafia, more or less like rest of the film industry in Bombay. There are more problems that can be fixed with this system.

Music and its gatekeepers. There are a select few in power and control in Bollywood. Be it the artist to perform, or the style of music etc, there are a few people who have the authority to decide the course of music as far as India is concerned. In the past this was controlled by music directors, now it's controlled by music directors and producers. Music producers in Bollywood are stuck with what seems to work (formula) and don't want to experiment with new artists, styles, compositions and genres. Their interest is in being relevant by regurgitating and copying music that has worked before.

Music and Bollywood. Producers don't care about the music,. It's just a tool to get more audience in the cinema. If they could get 2 goats each other on screen they will do that instead. The main purpose of music now in a movie is to get screen time on youtube and TV/radio. as I said, 2 goats......

Music and money. There is tons money in Bollywood. But is there is money in music in India or it has to survive on leftover of of Bollywood? There have been a few artists who have broken the mould and started with Bollywood and moved to main mainstream (if there's mainstream in India apart from Bollywood). They are still famous because of Bollywood and have to remain relevant by aligning with the film industry. They are performing the same old Bollywood songs when they are not singing in a wedding for money. It's still rather difficult to survive in India as an independent artist.

Music and TV. Shows like Indian Idol have done more damage to the music industry in India than befitted it. They are the same gatekeepers as the judges and their interest is not in getting the best artist but the best sellable artist. They still want the contestants to sing the same old Bollywood songs (with a slight twist), touch their feet and ask for blessings (to sing just like they did!). It feeds their ego's and their interest is in promoting themselves and not the contestants. The TV producers only care about the ratings and ad revenue. They want more drama than music! The whole music contest TV industry is churning boring, predictable imitators, not artists or musicians.

Music and Audience. we have an overkill of music in India. It's everywhere, and not just there, its in your face! Its blaring from an old radio at every paan shop, a new streaming device speaker at your favorite hairdresser or grocery store. Its everywhere! It's fatiguing to listen to just this amount of good or bad music. We are hearing music but are not listening to it as there is just so much of it. Most of us don't have the luxury to invest in a good Hi-Fi, interest in music to need one, and the time to make use of it. Mist of our countrymen and women are pretty happy with the music being fed to them than developing the time, interest and money to invest in it. We are happier with youtube and facebook feeds than look for music on spotify and apple music.

I think the combination of Bollywood and its role in influencing the public to sell cinema and lack of opportunities for independent artists is slowing the advancement of music in India. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with most of what you said. But I don’t find the situation as bleak.

To begin, on the positive side I find a good number of Indian artists who have emerged, grown and established themselves outside of the film music space. Like Prateek Kuhad has made his own mark in the independent music space as a singer-songwriter. So much so that he has been signed on by some international music publishers too. Then there’s Raghu Dixit with his modern take on folk music. And of course Indian Ocean with their Folk Rock have gained a large following and play to sellout crowds. Or Rabbi Shergill with his Sufi Rock. Among female pop singers you find Shubha Mudgal has created a distinct space for herself while someone like Sona Mohapatra continues to create her own style of singing. These are just top of mind recollections. There are many more who are making good music outside the film music space and gaining both recognition and popularity. And the online streaming platforms have a large contribution in promoting their music.

I am not even touching the Indian classical (both Hindustani and Carnatic) music or the wonderful Fusion music the classical musicians create with artists of the world. They are recognised world over and some have a dedicated followership, not just here, but abroad too. This space has remained largely unaffected by the success or travails of Bollywood. The same applies to the wonderful Sufi as well as Pop music created by artists from Pakistan, but well appreciated by Indian followers.

In short, for an Indian music fan looking for quality Indian music, there’s no dearth of quality new music as well as musicians if one looks beyond the Bollywood space. It’s not just good, but innovative as well.

And then there’s the space beyond published music. It’s full of small local artists, mostly folk. Some get found out and promoted (like the Manganiyars), but if one looks around, there’s a lot to hear in the live music space around oneself, in one’s own town.

Coming to Film music, the primary focus of your post - rightly so as a large percentage of Indian music listeners still consume only film music unlike any other country in the world, there is a steady revival in the last twenty years. After the dark ages of Indian film music in the 80s and 90s, the Hindi film music world has seen steady inflow of new generation composers, starting with AR Rahman. And they have been actively promoted by the corporates that rule the music world now and widely followed by the music listeners of the younger generation (those born after 1990) as well as those older in age but open to newer experiences. To name a few - Vishal Bharadwaj, Shantanu Moitra, Amit Trivedi, Sagar Desai, MM Kreem, Ram Sampath, Ajay-Atul, Sneha Khanwalkar. Each one of them is talented and innovative - more than any in the 80s/90s, and equal to some stalwarts before that. And that’s just the Hindi film music today. Since music knows no boundaries, if one looks down South or towards the East, one finds a similar strong revival of quality film music. Would like to hear from @Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra, @sandeepss and others on the situation in Kolkata, Chennai or Trivandrum.

It’s possible that it doesn’t appeal to the aesthetic sensibilities of listeners exclusively wedded to old world music. And perhaps the strike rate of finding new good Hindi film albums today is 2/10 while it was 5/10 in the 60s or 70s, but still there‘a a lot of good new Indian music going around even for the most voracious listener.

Yet, the malaise you elaborated in the post is real. But the situation, in my opinion, is nowhere as gloomy. Rather, it is quite hopeful. As a listener of Indian music from the 50’s era onwards, I find myself eagerly looking for the next good release today, within as well as outside the film world. And I find my quest is gratified more often than not.

It is true that there is a "winner takes all" kind of scenario, which is more pronounced in the film music industry. The makers try to reduce/limit their risk by going with tried and tested lyricist and composers, who in turn employ the most proven voices. If we consider a singer-songwriter/band performing/creating their own music at their own will as against a set deadline and lyrics to suit the screenplay, I think both have their merits. It all finally boils down to how talented the person is. This can result in very few getting a real chance. But, I do think there could be a revival, as Sachin has so well put across in his post, the artists have been enjoying some success on their own. The Indian economy is improving, which means there could be a lot more youngsters who would be willing to risk a rather comfortable career and instead try their luck with the Indie singer-songwriter/band scene, as opposed to the 1970-90s, when getting a gainful employment itself was a real difficulty. US/UK was already in a comfortable state in the 1960-70s, which too could've resulted in such a large influx of famous musicians.
With platforms like Spotify and YouTube, there is an unprecedented access the artist has in connecting with his followers, bypassing the record labels, so it becomes a more level playing field for all....

Thanks for the replies.

It's a sliding scale of how much one thinks Bollywood has hurt the music scene in India in terms of quality (we have too much quality I think)

It's just sad that despite a rich musical history, we don't have an independent, self reliant music industry because the it's eclipsed by the film industry, where it stay as a subservient second cousin to the film (for obvious reasons). The whole infrastructure is build around producing playback singers rather than musicians.

Really a very nice write up about Indian music. I agree with you as I also think that the Bollywood has always eclipsed our music and demanded the top most position . Apart from the Carnatic , Hindustani and Tagore songs, the other genres are not properly nurtured and taken care of. The FM stations and TV channels cater to the Bollywood numbers round the clock with out presenting the other genres . Some times TV channels telecast Indian classical, folk or the regional songs but not as frequently as those serve the Bollywood music. I am also a fan of the Bollywood music but that does not mean that the other forms will receive a step motherly attitude from the end of TV, FMs and the like. As regards new experiments , I don't have any clear idea but back in 90's some Bengali singers started a new genre called Jeevonmukhi gaan that means songs of life. Sumon chatterjee alias kabir sumon , Nachiketa , Protul Mukherjee began to write new Bengali songs , composed music and sang their songs. The uniqueness lies in the fact that their lyrics are modern and music is totally different from the typical tunes. Some others also made experiments on Tagore songs which I do not like. However, the Bollywood movies and music thwart the natural flow of our own vernacular movies and music. Even now the Bengali movies don't get the screen if a Bollywood music gets released at the same time. Our country has a vast treasure in music but unfortunately those don't have exposer and even proper nourishment. The Carnatic and Indian classical have limited listeners but those will never die ,though some other genres of music play second fiddle to Bollywood music. Besides, modern people have no time for experiment in regional music and I don't blame them. Just as we like cricket more than Indian football , people like Bollywood more than the other music forms. Though some musicians made experiments and catered to something new , they don't get the recognition. Really Bollywood is the destroyer and the preserver.
As FM Sachin Chavan has requested let me try to focus something about Bengali music and new experiments. Bengal is a land of poets and musicians. Apart from Tagore we have Atul prasad, D. L .Roy, Rajani kanta, Kazi Nazrul , and so on. But sadly the new generation is not interested with their creations or a few of them listen to those. The reason may be most of them read in English medium schools and are far from our rich legacy in music. As regards new experiments I recently heard that kabir sumon would make some Baandish in Bengali and sing raaga based songs, though I don't listen to those. Bangla Bands are here and they are also performing on stage, but this is not my cup of tea so can't elaborate in this.
Regards

Last edited:
It boils all to what music is fed and how its taken by audience. Its true bollywood imposes its own choices and acts as mafia somewhere. Before Lata, female singers used to have heavy voices like big bold voices. Lata changed the scene so much that now a days a female without high pitched and delicate sensual voice is not even considered good enough. A good reason of how bollywood was able to do this all is because of the extended reach to masses, especially before tv era and became part of lives of people. Second is that playback singing hampered musicians and even singers. Lot of people dont know which is the singer of the song but do know who was the hero. and only handful of people know the real musicians involved just because they were not to be seen so nobody cared.

Really a very nice write up about Indian music. I agree with you as I also think that the Bollywood has always eclipsed our music and demanded the top most position . Apart from the Carnatic , Hindustani and Tagore songs, the other genres are not properly nurtured and taken care of. The FM stations and TV channels cater to the Bollywood numbers round the clock with out presenting the other genres . Some times TV channels telecast Indian classical, folk or the regional songs but not as frequently as those serve the Bollywood music. I am also a fan of the Bollywood music but that does not mean that the other forms will receive a step motherly attitude from the end of TV, FMs and the like. As regards new experiments , I don't have any clear idea but back in 90's some Bengali singers started a new genre called Jeevonmukhi gaan that means songs of life. Sumon chatterjee alias kabir sumon , Nachiketa , Protul Mukherjee began to write new Bengali songs , composed music and sang their songs. The uniqueness lies in the fact that their lyrics are modern and music is totally different from the typical tunes. Some others also made experiments on Tagore songs which I do not like. However, the Bollywood movies and music thwart the natural flow of our own vernacular movies and music. Even now the Bengali movies don't get the screen if a Bollywood music gets released at the same time. Our country has a vast treasure in music but unfortunately those don't have exposer and even proper nourishment. The Carnatic and Indian classical have limited listeners but those will never die ,though some other genres of music play second fiddle to Bollywood music. Besides, modern people have no time for experiment in regional music and I don't blame them. Just as we like cricket more than Indian football , people like Bollywood more than the other music forms. Though some musicians made experiments and catered to something new , they don't get the recognition. Really Bollywood is the destroyer and the preserver.
As FM Sachin Chavan has requested let me try to focus something about Bengali music and new experiments. Bengal is a land of poets and musicians. Apart from Tagore we have Atul prasad, D. L .Roy, Rajani kanta, Kazi Nazrul , and so on. But sadly the new generation is not interested with their creations or a few of them listen to those. The reason may be most of them read in English medium schools and are far from our rich legacy in music. As regards new experiments I recently heard that kabir sumon would make some Baandish in Bengali and sing raaga based songs, though I don't listen to those. Bangla Bands are here and they are also performing on stage, but this is not my cup of tea so can't elaborate in this.
Regards
I think a few regional music genres have thrived - Bengali is one of them. Bollywood is a monster we have created which is threatening the survival of a diverse music industry in India.

As a listener of Indian music from the 50’s era onwards, I find myself eagerly looking for the next good release today, within as well as outside the film world. And I find my quest is gratified more often than not.

Interesting! how many good releases have you found? Care to share a few? I find Indian mainstream music scene rather depressing. we have a few jems by virtue of sheer volume of film music, but they are far and few in between. Tons of talent gets un noticed because they dont fit he mould our film industry is looking to sell its movies with.

I get your point though, and my post was rather a rant born of frustration of hearing substandard manufactured music being fed to us by Bollywood!

Interesting! how many good releases have you found? Care to share a few? I find Indian mainstream music scene rather depressing. we have a few jems by virtue of sheer volume of film music, but they are far and few in between. Tons of talent gets un noticed because they dont fit he mould our film industry is looking to sell its movies with.

I get your point though, and my post was rather a rant born of frustration of hearing substandard manufactured music being fed to us by Bollywood!

I have named a few of current day film composers who make good music in my post if you care to read. I have also listed a number of non-film musicians and singers too.

But since you want me to be specific and provide you some good recent Hindi film albums, here are a few (all since 2010). Hope you listen to them with an open mind (not fixated on a certain type of music) and decide.

Ankhon Dekhi (2014)
Paharganj (2019)
Aisha (2010)
Gully Boy (2019)
A Death in the Gunj (2018)
Haider (2014)
Dedh Ishqiya (2014)
7 Khoon Maaf (2011)
Shor in the City (2011)
Lahore (2011)
Barfi! (2012)
Dhanak (2016)
Begum Jaan (2017)
Ek Thi Daayan (2013)
Katiyabaaz (2013)
Aashiqui 2 (2013)
Bombay Velvet(2015)
Dear Zindagi (2016)
Finding Fanny (2014)
Fitoor (2016)
Citylights (2014)

Jugni (2016)
Lootera (2013)
Masaan (2015)

Ive been thinking about the role of Bollywood on music in India. I think Bollywood is a blessing in promoting music industry in India and curse for advancing music in India.
I think the fact remains that Mumbai Film Industry (I hate calling Bollywood) movies being in Hindi which is most spoken language in the country and one of the top 5 most spoken languages of the world gets an edge of a big audience or in some case the additional budget push to promote in multiple languages gives then the edge. So it is obvious that such an industry which is so successful will obviously have some dictating terms and influence on music industry. But are they alone, definitely not. Regional film industries also have their part, of course talent need patronage unless everyone is born rich where passion rules over money, they both go hand in hand, its like I (artist) take your (music director, producer, music company, etc) influence and mold it with my talent and you make sure that it is valued and marketed and famed well, just human nature of survival and satisfying their own ego

Music and TV. Shows like Indian Idol have done more damage to the music industry in India than befitted it.
I would not completely agree, such a massive scale talent search needs funding and publicity to attract talents and without sponsorship and the corresponding commercialization this is impossible. I mean Sony alone would never venture into such a venture all by alone and quietly. So the resulting model is such that even if they fail to find long standing talent, the publicity and airing of the process would end up covering the cost for the search including turning it into a profitable business mode eventually. Yes these kind of shows may not be the only channel of recruiting talents but it sure does ease out their struggle to find a launching pad for their career. Otherwise it would have been artists begging music directors and producers to give them a chance unless they are spotted through local programs or through references or connections which majority does not have.

After the dark ages of Indian film music in the 80s and 90s, the Hindi film music world has seen steady inflow of new generation composers, starting with AR Rahman
Was 90s really dark? From late 80s with movies like Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and then getting into 90s with several successful combinations like Sameer-Anjan-Nadeem-Shravan-KumarSanu-Alka-Kavita-Abhijit storming in there was nothing more that could have been asked for. Even till date 90s era is one of the most musical era of Hindi film industry. Even some of Rehman's Gem like Bombay, Roja were all from this era.

Music and its gatekeepers. There are a select few in power and control in Bollywood. Be it the artist to perform, or the style of music etc, there are a few people who have the authority to decide the course of music as far as India is concerned. In the past this was controlled by music directors, now it's controlled by music directors and producers. Music producers in Bollywood are stuck with what seems to work (formula) and don't want to experiment with new artists, styles, compositions and genres. Their interest is in being relevant by regurgitating and copying music that has worked before.
I would like to inform here that in past, even some famed singers have been known to be political with producers and directors to make sure their budding competitors do not get adequate chance or else to blacklist those production houses. Yes, in modern days since cost of production has gone higher due to several reasons, producers expect a ROI before considering investing so they try to go all out on, songs as you have rightly said is a way to market the movie apart from compelling trailers, why? People are choosy and have limited time so more the appeal better chance of them landing up in cinema halls to watch it. Those days of majority college goers or officer goers flocking in cinema halls for every damn movie that was released is gone, they simply do not have enough time.

By the way I noticed you are a CA guy like me, good to know.

In current generation Amit Trivedi is one music director who gives excellent music. Check his filmography. His recordings are also excellent. Rich diversity in his work.

Aamir
Wake up sid
Devd
Kai po che
Lootera
Queen
Fitoor
Udta punjab
Dear zindagi
Bhavesh joshi
Andhadhun
Kedarnath

An excellent example. take a look at this video, these are all Amit Trivedi's songs, see how regional music can influence and even inspire bollywood and if correctly done what can be the impact. The problem is no. of views of this as compared to baadshahs, kakkars, baghchi's etc. Its not they decide how many people will listen to this kind of excellent and original music, its we.

Last edited:
I have named a few of current day film composers who make good music in my post if you care to read. I have also listed a number of non-film musicians and singers too.

But since you want me to be specific and provide you some good recent Hindi film albums, here are a few (all since 2010). Hope you listen to them with an open mind (not fixated on a certain type of music) and decide.

Ankhon Dekhi (2014)
Paharganj (2019)
Aisha (2010)
Gully Boy (2019)
A Death in the Gunj (2018)
Haider (2014)
Dedh Ishqiya (2014)
7 Khoon Maaf (2011)
Shor in the City (2011)
Lahore (2011)
Barfi! (2012)
Dhanak (2016)
Begum Jaan (2017)
Ek Thi Daayan (2013)
Katiyabaaz (2013)
Aashiqui 2 (2013)
Bombay Velvet(2015)
Dear Zindagi (2016)
Finding Fanny (2014)
Fitoor (2016)
Citylights (2014)

Jugni (2016)
Lootera (2013)
Masaan (2015)

I wasn't being sarcastic, and was genuinely curious about the albums. You had mentioned a few artists etc, but wasn't sure which albums you were talking about.

Not sure about the second part of the post. Which type of music should I not be fixated upon?

Cheers.

In current generation Amit Trivedi is one music director who gives excellent music. Check his filmography. His recordings are also excellent. Rich diversity in his work.

Aamir
Wake up sid
Devd
Kai po che
Lootera
Queen
Fitoor
Udta punjab
Dear zindagi
Bhavesh joshi
Andhadhun
Kedarnath

I think we are getting distracted from the point. I don't argue that Bollywood hasn't given some good music and there aren't talented artists, but rather their talent is wasted in producing mediocre music (because of sheer volume etc) .
as you have also noticed in your post, what I was trying to say was that that because how the music industry is subservient to film industry, the interests of the film are above the music in it.
As an example, I am sure if given a free hand Amit Trivedi would produce music he wants to create than what the film director might want - he is still in the system. I am not saying that always happens, but more often than not it does.

as you have also noticed in your post, what I was trying to say was that that because how the music industry is subservient to film industry, the interests of the film are above the music in it.
As an example, I am sure if given a free hand Amit Trivedi would produce music he wants to create than what the film director might want - he is still in the system. I am not saying that always happens, but more often than not it does.

That has been the case historically. Late Jagjit singh quit hindi film music after arth and saath saath because directors wanted him to give music as per their conditions, he felt he was not free to express there. In film music there are lots of restrictions because of story situations etc and directors and producers pressure. That is how the industry works. People like javed akhtar have written songs called dard e disco. If anyone wants to have freedom he tends the album way, but then noone is interested to listen to him.

But I look at this whole thing from the different angle. Non-bollywood music have always been there but in early days, they were not popular mostly because of affordability. Do we remember the days when a cassette of film OST came for Rs. 25 while the ones of Pt. Bhimsen Joshi and Pt. Ravishankar would cost around Rs. 100. Then mix the angle of liking with this, one decides whether one likes a particular kind of music or not only when one lives with it, listens to it for sometime so, since I could not afford, did not get opportunity to live with it so it never became popular with me.

Now, with internet, availability is at its best and I listen whole lot of different kinds of music and Bollywood would just be 10% of it.

But I look at this whole thing from the different angle. Non-bollywood music have always been there but in early days, they were not popular mostly because of affordability. Do we remember the days when a cassette of film OST came for Rs. 25 while the ones of Pt. Bhimsen Joshi and Pt. Ravishankar would cost around Rs. 100. Then mix the angle of liking with this, one decides whether one likes a particular kind of music or not only when one lives with it, listens to it for sometime so, since I could not afford, did not get opportunity to live with it so it never became popular with me.

Now, with internet, availability is at its best and I listen whole lot of different kinds of music and Bollywood would just be 10% of it.

You are right with the availability part, these days we can listen to anything so thats a good thing. But i feel that doesnt mean everyone will like non film music like classical even if he lives with it. Every art form at the highest level has few admirers, rest dont understand it, it may not be all about access, similarly for music. Light film music was created only for popularity and used as a business tool inside films. It appeals to masses as its melodious and not complex to even hum or sing for someone who is not familiar with music. To go beyond light film music, it requires a certain bent of mind towards music and its understanding. So its never popular among masses. Thats my thought.

That reason (non-affordability of non-film music in the past) is questionable. Yes, it’s true that classical/ghazal cassettes and CDs were available at anywhere between 2-5 times the cost of OST cassette or CD, making it difficult to own. Myself I had fewer of the non-film variety till I started earning. But then there were other avenues for me to listen to the non-film music - the radio and the TV (besides a neighbouring household who had a good collection). Doordarshan had a number or musical programs devoted to different genres - classical, ghazals, devotional etc - even western music. Doordarshan Mumbai (till it got merged into the national channel) and then DD Metro was particularly good at it. Many of these were live shows by stalwarts. But still the masses that crowded to Chhayageet were order of magnitude higher than those who watched these other musical programs. That’s the appeal of popular music - which in Indian context has always been film music - since 50’s, before which it must have been local folk music. Simplicity of tunes and ease of singing along is always a big reason for popularity like you pointed out. But so is the backing of visuals and storyline that films provide (there’s another recent thread where we are discussing the impact of visuals - positive and negative - on music). Likewise radio had entire stations dedicated to non-film music. In Mumbai we had the Mumbai-B station which had largely classical music - which even as a child I remember often tuning into as background music till someone else in the house came and changed to Vividh Bharati.

We have to accept that in music, as in any art form, there’re the masses and the cognoscenti. The masses will always be attracted to popular music - which has been film music in India and pop in the western world. The cognoscenti, usually a small fraction of the entire population, will have diverse and evolved taste and can discern a good performer/performance from an average one across genres. They will admire a good Hindi film album/track - even in the 2010s as much as a good album in their favourite genres even if they listen to the latter more. Yes, business considerations will always mean that bigger labels pursue popular music. But there will always be labels (for eg Water Lily acoustics or De Kulture Music) that cater to niches. Today, the popularity of internet streaming apps is allowing artists to reach out to audiences without the marketing backup of a big label.

We can keep blaming the supply side (music companies) for the fall in quality content inspite of rich artist talent pool. But I am not sure that leads us anywhere. Can we also consider ways and means to cultivate art appreciation among listeners (across ages, but especially youngsters who are usually more open)? Back when I was at college, initiatives like SPICMACAY were quite active, bringing artists to our college - even hostels - for lec-demo. Doing my engineering at a premier institute helped me in developing my musical interest and following - through the western music played on the excellent hostel lounge system to the myriad music festivals focused on different genres through the year and especially during the annual festival spanning 4-5 days. I believe there’s nothing like exposure to live musical performance at early age to develop a broader and keener interest in music. As we develop listeners, artists would find audience and music companies more viable segments. This forum itself is one of such initiatives - besides its natural focus on audio video systems, there’s a sizeable portion of it focused on music too. But the average age here is perhaps in the 35-45 range. Am sure the kids brought up in the households of the FMs benefit from the passive/active musical exposure they get. May be local chapters could consider conducting some curated listening meets in colleges/schools where they take audiophile equipment along and develop appreciation for good music and good sound among the youth - while also explaining basics of an audio system.

In India Film Music dominates the market and Bollywood is the biggest of all ...Also since it attracts talent from all over the country (Hindi is widely spoken / understood) that creates a pan indian presence in terms of content , quality and acceptability .

Hindi Film Music draws inspiration from our diverse cultural landscape ... lot of folk music / classical etc have been used in our film songs

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back