Bone conduction headphones?

Analogous

Does anyone have personal experience using bone conduction headphones?
I have seen a few models advertised and seen a pair of sunglasses with built in bone conduction (via BT) from Bose.
I also came across this:

If you have used a pair of BC headphones please share your impressions of the SQ

I have heard a Shokz. if you compare it with any other wired/wireless headphone you feel its relatively low rez

Hence its great for its intended use where the ear is kept free..but for good sound quality better stick to traditional...

If you have used a pair of BC headphones please share your impressions of the SQ
I had heard a pair when the technology was first introduced in a bluetooth device. This was a good 4 years ago. I don't remember the brand or the model, the SQ was anaemic at best. But, the intended purpose of this technology is to aid people with hearing issues.

Thank you @arj, @aeroash
Looks like marketing hype and money is being spent on promoting this tech as a lifestyle product. I will not waste more time on this.

These have certain advantages in specific use cases. A friend of mine is a pro cyclist and uses these

So while cycling you want to hear horns of cars/trucks and yet to want to listen to music, then it works great. Same for jogging on open roads where regular headphones are dangerous.

While he swears they are better than his regular headphones, I am very skeptical of their use outside specific scenarios.

as @sud98 said these are headphones with a specific use case, where you want to hear your surroundings.

Now laws of physics apply, where most IEM & HP companies are striving for a good isolation, likes of etymotic going painfully deep to achieve that, a product that allows you to take it all in - is definitely not meant for an audiophile and isn't created with sound first approach clearly, but for a certain crowd. Also this tech is in a very nascent stage - so maybe not now but keep an eye on it, it might be worth something.

Let me give you a few more use cases - (other than cycling)
1 - If you are a rider and wear a helmet - wearing earphones inside a helmet can make your ears really stuffy, causing ear infections. Also the isolation most IEMs provide can be dangerous specially if you use a good quality helmet (as they reduce the noise quite drastically). I use an Arai XD 4 and earphones inside that is dead quiet. Not very safe on the road.
2 - If you wear hearing aids.
3 - If you want to zone out of a very boring conversation - without being rude. :p

Thank you @arj, @aeroash
Looks like marketing hype and money is being spent on promoting this tech as a lifestyle product. I will not waste more time on this.
I dont think they promise superior sound quality to good ear/headphones just that the ear is kept free.

I would also suspect that if one is of low of hearing this might be a far better option...after all Beethoven composed hit 9th when he was stone deaf and with an iron rod for bone conduction to hear his own piano !

Last edited:
I gifted my fiancé shokz openrun (non-pro version) and use them from time to time.
To compare them with my daily use bose qc35 II OR sony wf1000mx3 isn't fair since they're intended for different use.

But to my shock, they sound pretty decent. They're not great with bass( sound a little tinny). But with ears open and them being so light, music listening experience is pretty nice.
My 1000xm3 and a lot others these days allow on board mics to get some 'ambient sound in, but really having your ears open to air naturally is pretty nice.

Thank you @arj, @aeroash

If I remember correctly the tech was first used by doctors as a hearing aid was it not ? And its great for medical use.

Ofcourse how can bone thats made of primarily calcium compare to PCOCC ohno continuous casted single crystal copper with 99.999999999999999999% purity(or whatever that number maybe) to conduct a audio signal without any losses ? 😉

If I remember correctly the tech was first used by doctors as a hearing aid was it not ? And its great for medical use.

Ofcourse how can bone thats made of primarily calcium compare to PCOCC ohno continuous casted single crystal copper with 99.999999999999999999% purity(or whatever that number maybe) to conduct an audio signal without any losses ? 😉
Not quite.
Tuning forks of different frequencies were used to test hearing loss by placing the base of the vibrating fork against the mastoid process ( bony part behind the ear)
Funnel or cone shaped objects were used to auscultate (listen to) heart and lung sounds and foetal heart sounds too. Hand held funnels (Horns!) were also used as hearing aids in Europ.

Not quite.
Tuning forks of different frequencies were used to test hearing loss by placing the base of the vibrating fork against the mastoid process ( bony part behind the ear)
Funnel or cone shaped objects were used to auscultate (listen to) heart and lung sounds and foetal heart sounds too. Hand held funnels (Horns!) were also used as hearing aids in Europ.
True true. 👍

Micro Seiki engineers used to hold a screw driver to their head with the metal part in contact with the turntable to "hear" vibrations at different parts. And in those days of 60s/70s almost every japanese turntable had something made by them !

Micro Seiki engineers used to hold a screw driver to their head with the metal part in contact with the turntable to "hear" vibrations at different parts. And in those days of 60s/70s almost every japanese turntable had something made by them !
This I have to see !

Ha ha..i read it in one of their "Manuals" :) and i tried it and it works. put the wooden handle touching your head and near your ear and try to "Hear" the vibrations..the intensity/frequency changes are pereceptible.

Ha ha..i read it in one of their "Manuals" :) and i tried it and it works. put the wooden handle touching your head and near your ear and try to "Hear" the vibrations..the intensity/frequency changes are pereceptible.

Why not use a stethoscope ? ???

a Screwdriver is cheaper and they all have one anyway. they did have measuring instruments but this was a quick and dirty hack

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back