Book shelf or floor stander

brejeshvarma

I am thinking of exchanging my Bookshelf JMLAB COBALT 806 (...dB/ 75W) with QUAD 22L Floor standing (89dB/300W) with my friend.I need your valuable opinions regarding this.

1. I listen more to Indian Classical music...both genres,old Hindi and Malayalam Songs,few English,very few western classicals.

2. I prefer to keep in low volumes,still want the clarity,details and punch.

3. In reasonably Higher volumes,sound shouldn't get distorted.

4. Have already biamped the system.

5.Room size 14 feet by 16 feet

What are the pros and cons,you would like to tell me ?

regards

Brejesh

Re: Book shef or floor stander

Like ajinkya mentioned above, this has been discussed a lot here.

As a matter of fact, I was commenting about this few days back -
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/4143-feedback.html#post43880

First of all, you have a really nice pair of speakers. I have heard the 806 and 816 many times and really loved the sound. Any particular reason you want to trade it? For your room size a stand mount might be adequate. If you absolutely need more punch, why not try the excellent SW150?

On the other hand, if your room can accommodate the 22L, by all means switch! We have few members here who has the same quad. Lets hear from them about its merits.

Cheers.

hi brejesh!

though the jm labs are good speakers, you should be able to hear more of the lower end with the quad floorstanders.

but i think it depends on what amps you are using. listening to both of them with your amps and making an a/b comparison should help.

regards,
abhishek.

I am thinking of exchanging my Bookshelf JMLAB COBALT 806 (...dB/ 75W) with QUAD 22L Floor standing (89dB/300W) with my friend.I need your valuable opinions regarding this.

1. I listen more to Indian Classical music...both genres,old Hindi and Malayalam Songs,few English,very few western classicals.

regards

Brejesh

Hi Brejesh varma, your choice should be floorstanders.

I would always vote for the floorstander,they are grat value for money, they add to the aesthetic appeal of your room, they dont need special stands and they cost just a tiny bit more than equivalent bookshelves.

It's really a personal decision as to how much bass you like to listen to, and how much your neighbors can tolerate. Personally I would probably be fine with a good set of bookshelves in a small room because sound quality is much more important to me than having a lot of bass. In a mid size room I would prefer small towers. A good tower can do wonders, particularly in a larger room. Generally, they will have a fuller low end, all else being equal. A standmounted speaker can sound well in a small room.

Bookshelf speakers sacrifice bass response, generally, but they also tend to be free of box resonances, more detailed, articulate, punchy, and smoother. Some floorstanders may really need a subwoofer.

Anil

regards

Brejesh

Thanks for your feed backs.

One think i don't know was/is not knowing where to look for the things I am searching for.In audio magazines ,I have read about them(In general).I was looking for the experiences of the members wrt these particular models.

I am more than happy about my Cobalts.I will say it as the biggest change that has brought new life into my system when they replaced Wharfedale evo-8.Its just that I got an opportunity to jump,so thought of getting your valuable suggestions.Quads are very highly reviewed in several discussion forums.So that's it.

Cheers
Brejesh

The easiest & simplest thing is to get the quad's & it a listen in your set up. reading reviews is not going to help.
All the best.
Cheers

If you are happy with your current set up, then DON'T upgrade. Use the money wisely on family or charity or buying good CDs or DVDs.

There is no guarantee that an upgrade will make you contented as the options are too many along price and products range.

Thanks for your feed backs.

One think i don't know was/is not knowing where to look for the things I am searching for.In audio magazines ,I have read about them(In general).I was looking for the experiences of the members wrt these particular models.

I am more than happy about my Cobalts.I will say it as the biggest change that has brought new life into my system when they replaced Wharfedale evo-8.Its just that I got an opportunity to jump,so thought of getting your valuable suggestions.Quads are very highly reviewed in several discussion forums.So that's it.

Cheers
Brejesh

Hi Brijesh

As Marsilians pointed out , If you are happy with the current set up , why are you changing ? Even though the Quads are a Fantastic speakers and they produce better bass then the standmount , if i am in your situation i will prefer a standmount purely because music is much more lively and the sound is more perfect in a stand mount. Instead of changing the speakers ( since you already have a very good cobalt ) try changing the speaker cables and the Interconnects , upgrading your interconnects will make a difference in the low and hi freq. I personally have used a Jamo floorstanders and i was more convinced when i went for a Epos stand mount. Sold the FL and kept the Epos.

david.

"Use the money wisely on buying good CDs"
Dear Marsilians
I took your message and went for a CD exhibition and bought 2 fantastic
CDs !:yahoo:
"music is much more lively and the sound is more perfect in a stand mount".
Dear David,
I think that's more important for me and my music.So currently dropping the idea:)

Thank u neo,Marsilians & David for your wise and valuable suggestions.

Dear Marsilians

Way to go...you will be much happier and financially a step ahead with this choice. Happy listening.

Where is this cd exhibition in Bangalore? I would like to check it out today.

I've purchased more than 8K worth of CDs in the last 4 months and not a single fantastic one!! :( In fact I'm going to throw away most as I abhor keeping junk.

Thank god for torrents.!! :) The music companies are ripping people off!! :mad:

Cheers

:confused:

Dear Gobble,
It's in Kerala,not in Bangalore.

Cheers

Very very true...:sad:

Dear Marsilians
"music is much more lively and the sound is more perfect in a stand mount".
Dear David,
I think that's more important for me and my music.So currently dropping the idea:)

Thank u neo,Marsilians & David for your wise and valuable suggestions.

Brejesh,
sorry to barge in, but where is this cd exhibition in Kerala? What kind of Cds are available?

So did you try out your friends quads with your set up? or gave up the idea entirely?

Gobble, When you are to throw away your cds gimme a pm, I ll gladly pick it up and save you the space, he he!

I've purchased more than 8K worth of CDs in the last 4 months and not a single fantastic one!! :( In fact I'm going to throw away most as I abhor keeping junk.

Cheers

While I do understand your frustration, you can always listen to samples from most CDs on amazon or cduniverse. This may give you a little peep into how it sounds overall.

While I do understand your frustration, you can always listen to samples from most CDs on amazon or cduniverse. This may give you a little peep into how it sounds overall.

A couple of other good options to try out new artists/music...

Last.fm - Listen to free music with internet radio and the largest music catalogue online & YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Welcome! - Rate Your Music is a great site where users/listeners rate artists and albums. I've gone many times by their recommendations and not regretted it.

Also, Amazon user reviews are more reliable than the editor reviews.

Brejesh,
sorry to barge in, but where is this cd exhibition in Kerala? What kind of Cds are available?

So did you try out your friends quads with your set up? or gave up the idea entirely?

Gobble, When you are to throw away your cds gimme a pm, I ll gladly pick it up and save you the space, he he!
Dear iaudio,

The exibition is at Palakkad... probably ending today...They were at Thrissur 2 weeks back.Some shop from Cochin...near marine drive...name I dont remember.They had held similar exhibitions last year also.

Type of CD,s...NO WESTERN

Lot of Indian classicals..both forms...

Then all those commercial stuffs..mp3,movie VCD,DVD etc.

Gobble, When you are to throw away your cds gimme a pm, I ll gladly pick it up and save you the space, he he![/QUOTE]

Gobble, same offer from here..:D

iaudio,

I thunked,thuked and thunked....finally dropped it altogether:lol:Until tomorrow;)

I will save the CD's then until one of you drop by Bangalore.

I hope you are open to picking up scratched CD's too. They can be ripped without failure.

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back