Bookshelf speaker (Budget under Rs. 40000)

chiraagm

Hi

I am bit confused regarding which speaker to buy, the reason is more to do with the setup (where I will be placing these speakers).

The bookshelf speakers I buy will be placed in an alcove (essentially a bookshelf, but covered all over except the front). There is good depth, maybe around 2.5ft.

I am essentially looking at 3 speakers (in my budget of under Rs. 40000). The question is on two fronts,
A. Will front firing port be better than back firing one (considering the positioning)?
B. Which speaker amongst the ones I have listed below would you recommend, keeping in mind the positioning of the speakers ( I am happy to consider something else on your recommendations, as long as it is under my budget)

1. Q Acoustics 3030i (back port)
2. Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (front port)
3. Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 (front port)

Would love to hear from you guys!

The receiver/amp is a Pioneer VSX 523

Thanks
Chiraag

Hi

I am bit confused regarding which speaker to buy, the reason is more to do with the setup (where I will be placing these speakers).

The bookshelf speakers I buy will be placed in an alcove (essentially a bookshelf, but covered all over except the front). There is good depth, maybe around 2.5ft.

I am essentially looking at 3 speakers (in my budget of under Rs. 40000). The question is on two fronts,
A. Will front firing port be better than back firing one (considering the positioning)?
B. Which speaker amongst the ones I have listed below would you recommend, keeping in mind the positioning of the speakers ( I am happy to consider something else on your recommendations, as long as it is under my budget)

Thanks
Chiraag
I guess Q-acoustics 3030i retails for 50k if i am not mistaken (M. Z. Audio, Bandra)

Traditional wisdom says to avoid rear-ported speakers, especially if you are going to place them close to a wall or boundary. It may work, it may not work - and if it doesnt work, you dont have the option to play around with spacing.

Get front-ported speakers.

Hi

Thanks
Chiraag

Traditional wisdom says to avoid rear-ported speakers, especially if you are going to place them close to a wall or boundary. It may work, it may not work - and if it doesnt work, you dont have the option to play around with spacing.

Get front-ported speakers.
Agree with that whole heartedly. The only reason to pop this question was since I don't get to audition front ported vs rear ported in my room, I would like to get opinions.

Which according to you, between the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, would you recommend?

You have mentioned there is approx 2.5m depth space available.
In this case rear ported speakers should work well too. And could possibly be an advantage depending on the low frequency response of the speaker you choose.

You can add Dali Spektor 2 bookshelves to your list within your budget. Have heard them and they are good.

Last edited:
In this case rear ported speakers should work well too. And could possibly be an advantage depending on the low frequency response of the speaker you choose.

You can add Dali Spektor 2 bookshelves to your list within your budget. Have heard them and they are goo

You can add Dali Spektor 2 bookshelves to your list within your budget. Have heard them and they ar

You can add Dali Spektor 2 bookshelves to your list within your budget. Have heard them and they are good.
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have mentioned 2.5ft (maybe pushing to 3ft), not 2.5m. Does your assessment re rear ports remain the same?

Re the Dali Spektors, frankly I am currently only looking at 6.5inch speakers. Room has high ceilings and is pretty big (20 x 15 x 12ft), besides the fact that my setup does not have a sub. So would want the bigger woofers to push the bass

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have mentioned 2.5ft (maybe pushing to 3ft), not 2.5m. Does your assessment re rear ports remain the same?

Re the Dali Spektors, frankly I am currently only looking at 6.5inch speakers. Room has high ceilings and is pretty big (20 x 15 x 12ft), besides the fact that my setup does not have a sub. So would want the bigger woofers to push the bass
Expecting bass from bookshelves that too powered by AVR may not be a good idea in a room this size. You should consider buying a subwoofer

Expecting bass from bookshelves that too powered by AVR may not be a good idea in a room this size. You should consider buying a subwoofer
I am sure a subwoofer is going to provide the better bass, currently cannot budget for bookshelf and sub both, so looking to build towards it, eventually

Until then, the bookshelf speakers will have to do the job

the front ported vs the rear is VERY traditional indeed

my personal advice
todays bookshelfes are tuned for this all

pick the speaker by tone
forget all this
otheriswe you will just be making a compromised decesion

get the speaker you like tonally and one that will work best with your amp
that is more important

and the theory that front ported speakers only can be placed close to the back wall is not compleely accurate

the rear port isint exactly farting from the rear and having a back draft fromthe wall

I am sure a subwoofer is going to provide the better bass, currently cannot budget for bookshelf and sub both, so looking to build towards it, eventually

Until then, the bookshelf speakers will have to do the job
If you dont mind moving away from traditional brands do consider Micca RB42. Excellent speakers with enough bass.

the front ported vs the rear is VERY traditional indeed

my personal advice
todays bookshelfes are tuned for this all

pick the speaker by tone
forget all this
otheriswe you will just be making a compromised decesion

get the speaker you like tonally and one that will work best with your amp
that is more important

and the theory that front ported speakers only can be placed close to the back wall is not compleely accurate

the rear port isint exactly farting from the rear and having a back draft fromthe wall
Interesting outlook!!!

Thanks for that...
Will make my decision based on this awesome advice!!

On a side note, any clue where I could audition (in Mumbai), preferably in 1 location

1. Polk Audio Signature ES20
2. Q Acoustics 3030i
3. Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2

?

Sorry for the typo. It was meant to read 2.5ft.
So my assessment on rear ports remain the same with 2.5ft.
You can now choose the speakers based on tonality.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back