Bookshelf speaker or any other type of speaker under 20k

If you want to use your speakers for regular TV, PC , Mobile use cases , you need to have Active Speakers.
I use a passive setup with my PC which is connected to my TV. it all depends on the connectivity options available on the Amp. The new offerings from SMSL are pretty rock solid with good connectivity options and power.
As other suggested I can vouch for HiVi D1200 or higher models from HiVi . I use D1200 for music listening and it is a gem . Clarity and sound signature is Audiophile grade and can't be matched with any other 5.1/2.1 within 40K price . I suggest you visit swanspeaker website and check what are the equivalent latest models available in Indian market place . With newer models the probability of getting better DSP and connectivity options are higher .
That is highly debatable. A PSB Alpha P5 coupled with a cheap class D amp such as the ones from SMSL (A100, DA9, DA8s etc), approx 40K, will blow circles around the D1200 top to bottom. In fact, if you can find the Mission QX-2 for 30k roundabouts and pair it with a cheap amp, it'll mince the D1200. In December 2022, I got the QX-2 Mk-ii with the SMSL DA-8s (approx 35K total) and it betters even the Hivi D1090 on various fronts, especially midrange and overall refinement with greater fullness of sound and a more expansive soundstage.

Last edited:
I use a passive setup with my PC which is connected to my TV. it all depends on the connectivity options available on the Amp. The new offerings from SMSL are pretty rock solid with good connectivity options and power.

That is highly debatable. A PSB Alpha P5 coupled with a cheap class D amp such as the ones from SMSL (A100, DA9, DA8s etc), approx 40K, will blow circles around the D1200 top to bottom. In fact, if you can find the Mission QX-2 for 30k roundabouts and pair it with a cheap amp, it'll mince the D1200. In December 2022, I got the QX-2 Mk-ii with the SMSL DA-8s (approx 35K total) and it betters even the Hivi D1090 on various fronts, especially midrange and overall refinement with greater fullness of sound and a more expansive soundstage.

You are absolutely correct when the audio system is manually assembled to more independent component . But this requires minimum budget of 50K for a cheap assembled one which can sustain for a long period. But OP has budget fixed. So within that budget HiVi would be a plug & play audiophile grade Speakers system . Any regular 5.1/2.1 audio system which is aviable in Croma/Reliance Digital cant match the simple Hivi D1200.

Always a pleasure.

Get the M200 DSP instead of the D1200 if you're relegated to only those two options. The extra 3k will be well worth it.
Hi again. Looks like the D1090 wont be available anytime soon. So will probably be getting the M200DSP or the D1200. But I found the specs of the M200DSP and the D1200 to be almost the same. Both have 5.25 inch woofers. Both go down to 56Hz. The M200DSP has 1.1" tweeters while the D1200 sports 1" tweeters. Also, the only review I could find for the M200 is for the MkII and MkIII variants. Is the sound from the M200 DSP comparable to the MkII and MkIII?

Hi again. Looks like the D1090 wont be available anytime soon. So will probably be getting the M200DSP or the D1200. But I found the specs of the M200DSP and the D1200 to be almost the same. Both have 5.25 inch woofers. Both go down to 56Hz. The M200DSP has 1.1" tweeters while the D1200 sports 1" tweeters. Also, the only review I could find for the M200 is for the MkII and MkIII variants. Is the sound from the M200 DSP comparable to the MkII and MkIII?
The proper specs are up on the HIVI website. There is a minor difference in extension and power. The M200 is also 50% heavier which is always a good thing in my books. Whether those differences are perceptible and significant enough to justify the added outlay is something i can't attest to. :)

An added thing to consider is that the M200 is angled up which helps if you are on a desk or if the surface you'll be placing them on is lower than the level of your ears.

The proper specs are up on the HIVI website. There is a minor difference in extension and power. The M200 is also 50% heavier which is always a good thing in my books. Whether those differences are perceptible and significant enough to justify the added outlay is something i can't attest to. :)

An added thing to consider is that the M200 is angled up which helps if you are on a desk or if the surface you'll be placing them on is lower than the level of your ears.
Is the M200DSP the same thing as the first gen M200? Asking because there is no M200DSP mentioned on their website.

Is the M200DSP the same thing as the first gen M200? Asking because there is no M200DSP mentioned on their website.

Yes, it's one and the same.

What about models like Hivi 1080 mkii and Hivi 1080 mkiv

It would be mainly used for listening to music and gaming,

Am a complete Noob at this, so help me find something good

Cheers!!
Go for active bookshelf speakers with all modern connectivity features. If you have amp and other gears available then you can look at passive speakers and then you have a wide choice but 20K will restrict you on getting very good speakers. On Hifi mart Magnat multi monitor 220 available for 27K (active speakers), check.

Impressions please?
I am pretty satisfied. It is a good all-rounder. Good for movies as well as music. Dialogue is crystal clear. Lows aren't muddy. Highs aren't shrill. They get pretty loud without distorting. The only downside is that the sound output in the Bluetooth mode is quite underwhelming.

I am pretty satisfied. It is a good all-rounder. Good for movies as well as music. Dialogue is crystal clear. Lows aren't muddy. Highs aren't shrill. They get pretty loud without distorting. The only downside is that the sound output in the Bluetooth mode is quite underwhelming.
Nice to hear. I'm also in BLR, and sailing a similar boat. Trying to get a budget stereo system going, primarily for music and as a TV speaker. Looks like the prices have gone up significantly since this thread started! Have a friend bringing an Aiyima T9 Pro from the US next month. Looking for decent used/demo bookshelf speakers now.

Nice to hear. I'm also in BLR, and sailing a similar boat. Trying to get a budget stereo system going, primarily for music and as a TV speaker. Looks like the prices have gone up significantly since this thread started! Have a friend bringing an Aiyima T9 Pro from the US next month. Looking for decent used/demo bookshelf speakers now.
If Tannoy XT Mini excites you with some minor scratches , ping me.

If Tannoy XT Mini excites you with some minor scratches , ping me.
Thanks. Will certainly take a look. I'm new here, so don't seem to have enough posts to PM. You might be able to - please send me the details when you get a chance.

A doubt. This is about the M200DSP. Will using a bluetooth receiver that supports lossless codecs boost audio quality?

@roygarg ... Power adaptor is ac110v or ac220v?

u ordered from which Website?

Used Bose 301 Series V available

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back