Captinnoob

It would be mainly used for listening to music and gaming,

Am a complete Noob at this, so help me find something good

Cheers!!

Cheers!!
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Are you looking for active speakers or amplifier+passive speaker setup?

What is your source?

Have a pair of NHT super ones if you are interested. 17k
New ones sell for 39k

I have heard them and did not receive them well. Underwhelming, no matter what permutation and combination of DACs and Amps I tried, ranging from the Topping E30, Chord mojo to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS paired with a Marantz PM6006, SMSL DA-9 and a Cambridge Audio CXA81. The speaker has no dynamics so to speak of and neither can it go loud. It images fine and so is the soundstage but the tweeter is unrefined so details you hear across the soundstage are coarse. This all adds up to a presentation that is not harsh or unpleasant but rather, underwhelming as alluded to earlier 😋.

Even while paired with dual REL T9is, the presentation was flat and uninteresting and I never managed to pump any life into or out of them, any which way you look at it.

Applying the yardstick of a layman, a friend I lent them to much preferred his Marshall Stanmore. Now while the Marshall is not a bad speaker by any means and costs almost twice as much, you have to factor in amplification with the LX-2 mk-ii so that'll be an additional 15-25k. I would recommend anybody contemplating the Mission LX-2 Mk-ii to hear it first.

My two cents would be to stick to active/powered speakers at this budget. The Hivi D1200 is a good place to start since it has an entire digital connectivity suite, while avoiding the Edifier 1280DBs - another popularly bought but underwhelming speaker.

Spend an additional 7k to get the HiVi D1090 and you have a speaker that is untouchable by any passive setup below 50K I've ever heard. Its the bees knees of budget speakers.

Last edited:

Cheers!!

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

Besides the many threads posted by our Fellow Members on their experiences with products etc. have you auditioned any systems or speakers yet? Everyone has their own level of preferences when it comes to budget or performance etc.

If you can share some details of what all you need and within what budget and also let us know if there are placement limitations, we can guide further.

I think it would help if you can specify your audio source. Since you mention gaming would assume you would use a PC/Laptop as an audio source?

Cheers!!
If you are looking for used well maintained bookshelf speakers, I have a Quad 11L

I have heard them and did not receive them well. Underwhelming, no matter what permutation and combination of DACs and Amps I tried, ranging from the Topping E30, Chord mojo to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS paired with a Marantz PM6006, SMSL DA-9 and a Cambridge Audio CXA81. The speaker has no dynamics so to speak of and neither can it go loud. It images fine and so is the soundstage but the tweeter is unrefined so details you hear across the soundstage are coarse. This all adds up to a presentation that is not harsh or unpleasant but rather, underwhelming as alluded to earlier 😋.

Even while paired with dual REL T9is, the presentation was flat and uninteresting and I never managed to pump any life into or out of them, any which way you look at it.

Applying the yardstick of a layman, a friend I lent them to much preferred his Marshall Stanmore. Now while the Marshall is not a bad speaker by any means and costs almost twice as much, you have to factor in amplification with the LX-2 mk-ii so that'll be an additional 15-25k. I would recommend anybody contemplating the Mission LX-2 Mk-ii to hear it first.

My two cents would be to stick to active/powered speakers at this budget. The Hivi D1200 is a good place to start since it has an entire digital connectivity suite, while avoiding the Edifier 1280DBs - another popularly bought but underwhelming speaker.

Spend an additional 7k to get the HiVi D1090 and you have a speaker that is untouchable by any passive setup below 50K I've ever heard. Its the bees knees of budget speakers.
Do you know of any seller that has the D1090 available? I could not find any in stock online. I am in Bangalore if that helps.

It's regularly available on Amazon. Keeps on going out of stock periodically.
Thanks have kept it in my wishlist for now. As an alternative, which one of the following would you suggest for use with a TV? To be used primarily for watching movies and some music. TV only has optical and HDMI ARC for audio. I currently use an old Altec VS2621 with the TV paired with a bluetooth receiver.

Hivi M1000MKIII
Hivi D1200
Polk Audio Signa S2 Soundbar (Only considering this because of HDMI ARC)

Do you know of any place in Bangalore where I can audition Swans speakers?

Last edited:
Thanks have kept it in my wishlist for now. As an alternative, which one of the following would you suggest for use with a TV? To be used primarily for watching movies and some music. TV only has optical and HDMI ARC for audio. I currently use an old Altec VS2621 with the TV paired with a bluetooth receiver.
That's a great set. An Altec Lansing MX5021 user out here. :) have held on to that set for over 16 years now cuz it's a peach of a speaker and still capable of delivering a hugely enjoyable sound.
Hivi M1000MKIII
Hivi D1200
Polk Audio Signa S2 Soundbar (Only considering this because of HDMI ARC)

Do you know of any place in Bangalore where I can audition Swans speakers?
I would choose between the Hivi D1200(16k) and the Hivi M200dsp(19k) instead of the M100 Mkiii, simply because they sport a larger 5.25 inch woofer versus a 4 inch and thus, likelier to give better bass output and extension. Since the possibility of adding a sub does not exist, it's better to be safe on that front and go with a known commodity in a larger woofer.

Insofar as the Polk is concerned, the only advantage with HDMI Arc that i perceive is controlling the volume of the soundbar through the TV remote instead of resorting to two remotes with the Hivis. Auto power on upon detecting a signal is supported on the HIVI if I'm not mistaken so no advantage to the Polk in this regard as a consequence of ARC. Therefore, You'll have to decide between convenience (volume control through one remote) versus Sound Quality.

However, if you can find the D1090, you'll have a stonker of a speaker. A few FMs on this forum have both the Q Acoustics M20HD and the D1090 and they were not entirely convinced with the performance of the former after experiencing the Hivi, it's that good. Thunderous and impactful are the words that best describe it's sound.

Last edited:
That's a great set. An Altec Lansing MX5021 user out here. :)

I would choose between the Hivi D1200 and the Hivi M200dsp instead of the M100 Mkiii, simply because they sport a larger 5.25 inch woofer versus a 4 inch and thus, likelier to give better bass output and extension. Since the possibility of adding a sub does not exist, it's better to be safe on that front and go with a known commodity in a larger woofer.

Insofar as the Polk is concerned, the only advantage with HDMI Arc that i perceive is controlling the volume of the soundbar through the TV remote instead of resorting to two remotes with the Hivis. Auto power on upon detecting a signal is supported on the HIVI if I'm not mistaken so no advantage to the Polk in this regard as a consequence of ARC. Therefore, You'll have to decide between convenience (volume control through one remote) versus Sound Quality.
I have always wanted to own an mx5021. I tried looking for a used set but it is practically impossible to find one. :)

I wont miss the bass much right moving from the altec 2.1 to the d1200 or the m200?

I have always wanted to own an mx5021. I tried looking for a used set but it is practically impossible to find one. :)

I wont miss the bass much right moving from the altec 2.1 to the d1200 or the m200?
Can't say for sure since i haven't heard either your particular Altec model or the two HIVI contenders.

However, if i have to make a similar comparison for one segment higher for both brands, my D1090 absolutely creams my MX5021 in both bass output, extension and loudness.

I have measured the damn thing down to 38hz (which is the rated spec) and the bass is clean as a whistle. I don't think any passive loudspeaker below 40k (except the Mission QX-2) can even go down below 45hz, let alone dream about the 30s.

HIVI are known for their drivers and their Actives use them to good effect.

Last edited:
Can't say for sure since i haven't heard either your particular Altec model or the two HIVI contenders.

However, if i have to make a similar comparison for one segment higher for both brands, my D1090 absolutely creams my MX5021 in both bass output, extension and loudness.

I have measured the damn thing down to 38hz (which is the rated spec) and the bass is clean as a whistle. I don't think any passive loudspeaker below 40k (except the Mission QX-2) can even go down below 45hz, let alone the 30s.
Thanks a lot for responding to my queries. Much appreciated.

I will continue looking for the D1090 for a couple of weeks. I can settle for a used pair too. I will probably go for the D1200 if I don't manage to find one. Cheers!

Thanks a lot for responding to my queries. Much appreciated.
Always a pleasure.
I will continue looking for the D1090 for a couple of weeks. I can settle for a used pair too. I will probably go for the D1200 if I don't manage to find one. Cheers!
Get the M200 DSP instead of the D1200 if you're relegated to only those two options. The extra 3k will be well worth it.

Always a pleasure.

Get the M200 DSP instead of the D1200 if you're relegated to only those two options. The extra 3k will be well worth it.
Will do. Right now I am drooling over the D1090 in my mind. :😀

Hope I manage to grab one.

If you want to use your speakers for regular TV, PC , Mobile use cases , you need to have Active Speakers.
As other suggested I can vouch for HiVi D1200 or higher models from HiVi . I use D1200 for music listening and it is a gem . Clarity and sound signature is Audiophile grade and can't be matched with any other 5.1/2.1 within 40K price . I suggest you visit swanspeaker website and check what are the equivalent latest models available in Indian market place . With newer models the probability of getting better DSP and connectivity options are higher .

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back