Bookshelf Speaker upto 1L for pairing with valve amp

AMITNOIDA

Hi

Since last couple of months I am looking for Bookshelf speakers for pairing with valve amp. The source will be my PC with Asus Xonar card. I can spend upto 1L for speakers. I listen to hindustani classical, fusion, pop, soft rock, tagore songs and Jazz (just started listening) etc. The bookshelf speakers will be used in my bedroom (14 x 12 ft). The speakers can be placed with max 8"-12" distance from the rear wall due to space constraint and furniture layout. Please pour in your suggestions.

Hi
Have you finalised on your valve amp? Which one is it? It is difficult to make a suggestion without knowing this. If its a 3W SET, then most monitor speakers available in India will not work.

cheers
Sridhar

Hi Sridhar,

Valve amp is not yet finalised. But high probability is Lyrita 6C33C SET integrated amplifier (15 watts/channel single ended valve amplifier).

Hi

Since last couple of months I am looking for Bookshelf speakers for pairing with valve amp. The source will be my PC with Asus Xonar card. I can spend upto 1L for speakers. I listen to hindustani classical, fusion, pop, soft rock, tagore songs and Jazz (just started listening) etc. The bookshelf speakers will be used in my bedroom (14 x 12 ft). The speakers can be placed with max 8"-12" distance from the rear wall due to space constraint and furniture layout. Please pour in your suggestions.

You can search on the forum - from my perspective,

Swan
Tyler Acoustics
Totem Acoustic
Dynaudio
Triangle are excellent choices.

You may want to include the Audire range in your potential list. Single driver high efficiency speakers should pair well with a valve.

Cheers

You can search on the forum - from my perspective,

Swan
Tyler Acoustics
Totem Acoustic
Dynaudio
Triangle are excellent choices.

Dyns are superb but power hungry..so amp should be carefully chosen. Not sure if a low power valve amp will work here..

i've heard a push pull bout 30 watt cayin amp with a dynaudio bookshelf speaker and was ok notwithstanding their reputation as difficult loads.

regards

My experience with tube-amps is very less, am learning. For the speakers, here are few you might want to audition -

a) Focal Electra 1007 Be
b) B&W 805 S
c) ProAc Response D2

Other ones that comes to my mind are from Neat, PMC and Spendor. But most of these have modest sensitivity and am not sure about the local availablity or pricing.

Happy auditioning!

Amit:

For the Lyrita's the best would be single driver speakers. Your first choice would be to ask Viren to make a bookshelf for you. If he hesitates, look for the IO2 from Audire. They are award winning single driver speakers and should match very well with the Lyritas. Your advantage will be both Audire and Viren can make sure they work well together. A bit of coordination is needed, but the effort will be worth it.

Cheers

Venkat, is there anything wrong with the audire.in website. A simple search in google for "audire coimbatore" is showing up scary results!

Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

Malware warning.

Is there any alternative address?

Hi Unleash,

I got the same thing from my Apple bowser. I immediately informed that to Sandip Nair (I hope I am not making a mistake with the name, he is also a forum member), but he did not give any importance to it. This discussion was documented in a hifivision thread that I cannot trace now a few months ago. Recently I have tried to go the Audire website, but with same result, and since then I have not tried.

Regards.

Note Added: Found the thread where I pointed this out to "sadeepnaird" of Audire http://www.hifivision.com/press-release/4336-audire-technologies-new-speaker-system.html
Look for post #4 for my comments and post #6 for his response.

Last edited:
Hi Amit
I can throw in the Usher Be-718 as well as an option. While sensitivity is not high, its a pretty mellow impedance curve, a Leben 12W was sufficient to drive it. Overall, you will have plenty of options, but with your space constraints, it will be challenging to find a speaker from which you can get the best performance.

cheers

My experience with tube-amps is very less, am learning. For the speakers, here are few you might want to audition -

a) Focal Electra 1007 Be
b) B&W 805 S
c) ProAc Response D2

Other ones that comes to my mind are from Neat, PMC and Spendor. But most of these have modest sensitivity and am not sure about the local availablity or pricing.

Happy auditioning!

Can anybody tell about the price of ProAc Responce D2? Can this be driven by 15W per channel valve amp?

Venkat, is there anything wrong with the audire.in website. A simple search in google for "audire coimbatore" is showing up scary results! Is there any alternative address?

I just spoke to Sandeep. The webiste has had a serious virus attack and all their data has been destroyed. They are building new data and should have the site up in about a week.

Cheers

Can anybody tell about the price of ProAc Responce D2? Can this be driven by 15W per channel valve amp?

it would be in the 1.5 lakh regio but do talk to prithvi.

it can easily be driven by a 12W valve amp and I would believe rather well

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back