bookshelf speakers - 8 ohms and minimum 89 dB

nandac

I am looking for a mid price hifi setup in Mumbai and would like to know the options for bookshelf speakers with the above specs. amps in consideration are a topping tp20 and a musical fidelity b1 - both of which I already possess.

I know the jbl control 1 is considered to pair well with the topping. but I am looking for better quality speakers than the control 1.

I live in Singapore and so can buy speakers (new or used) from here as well.

so let me know your suggestions guys - appreciate the insights.

nandac,
why particularly speakers with 8 ohms and minimum 89 dB ? Whether 4 or 8 ohms: , if ya have a normal amp... do not take care for... that's history! And why minimum 89 dBs? Do you want to blow off your ears ? Any idea what a SLP of 89 dB makes in a room? With bookshelfs, usually listened in a near- to mid-field distance... However, to feed yours, look for KLIPSCH speaker, even the BSs producing up to 97db... have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
nandac,
why particularly speakers with 8 ohms and minimum 89 dB ? Whether 4 or 8 ohms: , if ya have a normal amp... do not take care for... that's history! And why minimum 89 dBs? Do you want to blow off your ears ? Any idea what a SLP of 89 dB makes in a room? With bookshelfs, usually listened in a near- to mid-field distance... However, to feed yours, look for KLIPSCH speaker, even the BSs producing up to 97db... have fun!

I use omegas (93db) with my tube amp and nothing what you say is true with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikhil, thanks for the suggestion. but did you have any particular one in mind? they all seem to be in the 86-87db sensitivity range.

Depends on your budget. The best of them all is the Classic Three.
FM and Mod Sidvee had written a review on them some years ago ...

SoundStage! Equipment Review - NHT Classic Three Loudspeakers (3/2007)

Note: Prices on their website are for each speaker (not pair)

From the Mumbai WhatHiFi show thread I saw that Avenue Sound is the D&D for NHT in India.

I am looking for a mid price hifi setup in Mumbai and would like to know the options for bookshelf speakers with the above specs. amps in consideration are a topping tp20 and a musical fidelity b1 - both of which I already possess.

I know the jbl control 1 is considered to pair well with the topping. but I am looking for better quality speakers than the control 1.

I live in Singapore and so can buy speakers (new or used) from here as well.

so let me know your suggestions guys - appreciate the insights.

Don't get stuck at 8 Ohms and 89dB I'd say.

Depending on your budget you may consider Tannoy Mercury, Dali Zensor, Klipsch entry level, KEF Q300.

All are high VFM in my books as well as Dali and Klipch are high sensitivity with easy drivability.

Last edited:
how about psb alpha1 and paradigm atom both of which are 90db? anybody tried these with the topping?

I wouldn't recommend Tannoy Mercury with Topping TP20. The amp doesn't have enough power to drive the Tannoys (86db)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back