BookShelf Speakers - (Random auditions & your views)

Sidharth Trehan

Dear all,
Most of my friends who know me, by know that i am quite a QUAD lover.
And yes, i absolutely relish what my Quad Pre-Power + 11L2 book shelves produce.

Now, i am just curious & looking forward to hear a few brands of bookshelf speakers preferably with the OWNERS with whom i can discuss what they like or dislike about their speakers ..apart from most of us terming them as musical (hearing at a dealers place will be second choice, unless invited to).

Now, i shall share my bits about the speakers i will listen to in & around Delhi
and to start off i am looking at friends/members who have in their possession the following brands of bookshelf speakers and who can INVITE ME OVER a cup of tea & an hour long of music session.

1) B&W 600 series
2) B&W 805 series
3) JM Focal (any series)
4) KEF
5) ...more to be added.

Will be kind of you to share the information of your bookshelf speakers and if i could come over for a session together with you. I would then discuss with you over PM. Or if you know of any friend/relative who has and can lend me a chair to sit and list ..it shall be kind of him.

P.S.
This will not happen in just about a week or two, i shall just have one or max two sessions per month (per weekend), subject to availability of the BOOKSHELF speakers. And i am certainly not keen on Towers for now. I shall be sharing pictures and as much details i can share in the thread. And if someone else has auditioned & is in love with the Bookshelves can share his her feedback in here.

This is a very personal interest and something that should make me be more aware of what surrounds us out of our personal AV rooms. I am sure there is much more musicality than we can think of.

Thanks in advance. Do let me know.

Wishes
Sid

Nice thread Siddharth...count me in if you find any Spendors, Harbeths....Heard the Spendor S3/5R at Boomerang, Mumbai and loved those little speakers and the sound they made...

Nice thread Siddharth...count me in if you find any Spendors, Harbeths....Heard the Spendor S3/5R at Boomerang, Mumbai and loved those little speakers and the sound they made...

@Sid: that's the one for you, as you are quite the spendor! :lol::lol::lol:
Though, I though you've laid such questions to rest!

what questions dada?
I would certainly love to hear some brands of bookshelves before i pick 'the one' to last me the next decade at the least. Thats about it.

@ Panditji
I have also heard alot about ATC from Venkat sir, i hope the ATC bookshelves shall also pack in some magic.

But well, i am yet to know of ppl in Delhi-NCR at whose place i can hear the bookshelves play. Shall buzz u for sure if i find any of ur choice.

Wishes

@Sid: that's the one for you, as you are quite the spendor! :lol::lol::lol:
Though, I though you've laid such questions to rest!

Thanks for remembering ATC...that is one brand I have heard so much about and have never heard any of their speakers....count me in as for auditions of these speakers too...

Hi !

I found Dali Lector 2 quite musical at their price point. On first impression, I liked them more than Quad 11L2.
Cute little babies.

cheers

@ Sand64
Dali's are quite forward and musical indeed, Quad sound on the contrary is calm, reasonably open, musical and time tested. It takes a bit of time to understand nuances of a Quad and once you do, its a sheer pleasure. You can listen to it for hours without tiring your ears.

NOTE:
Got an invite to audition B&W 805s for tomorrow, on an all Quad set up. Shall share feelers.

Sir,
It is ..QUAD CDP2 + PRE (am carrying it with me) + Power 909

The person had a Valve-Pre hooked to these, but the pre is in a ground loop issue for now.
Anyway, its better since it shall give a near my-room&rack perspective.

P.S.
If in Delhi, you must meet him. Quite a gentleman and with distinguished tastes.

Last edited:
@ Sand64
Dali's are quite forward and musical indeed, Quad sound on the contrary is calm, reasonably open, musical and time tested. It takes a bit of time to understand nuances of a Quad and once you do, its a sheer pleasure. You can listen to it for hours without tiring your ears.

Ok... may be you r right. Will like to pick a pair of either one (Quad 11L2 or Lektor2) in near future, so will try to audition both in more detail. Also Quads are rear ported, so require back clearence and perhaps proper setting (read stands etc.)

Tell me more about "nuances of a Quad"..

I may be wrong to your ears but to understand Quads or rather any you need continuous listening. I have done that between Quads and the Dali Ikon series bookshelves.
Words for Quads will just revolve around what i initially said about them, so better audition.

Ok... may be you r right. Will like to pick a pair of either one (Quad 11L2 or Lektor2) in near future, so will try to audition both in more detail. Also Quads are rear ported, so require back clearence and perhaps proper setting (read stands etc.)

Tell me more about "nuances of a Quad"..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back