Bookshelves for Kitchen

superczar

So of late, I seem to be spending a lot of time cooking in the kitchen
Unfortunately, this also means that my music playback is limited to a JBL voyager sitting on the kitchen rack :indifferent14:

I was thinking of putting in a pair of basic bookshelves, maybe sub 20K
The kitchen is around 150 sqft , more long than wide
I have an old marantz integrated amp (PM-17) that is gathering dust and I intend to use that to drive these.

I am fine with spending more but I am a sucker for value (i.e. wouldn't want to pay 15K for a $150 pair but fine with spending 25K on what normally sells for say $350)

What would the knowledgeable folks around here suggest?

JBL Control One comes to my mind. Available @just 8.5K on Amazon India. . It's rugged and I think will be suitable for kitchen.
If you want to spend full 20K, then nothing can beat Wharfedale 220 @19K OR BA-A26 @17K .Both are available at HifiMart!

I am in fact split between these two although more inclined towards the A26 (bit of a sucker for depth of sound which I think the 6.5" drivers on the A26 would do better at than the 5 incher on the 220)
I would prefer buying locally (i.e. within India) for warranty support + to avoid the hassle of lugging a heavy speaker
I do however have a short trip to the US lined up next month and if there is something significantly better I can find within $300, I am open to that as well.

The Control one seems to be great VFM but am not very sure if the 4" (?) woofer would offer a substantial improvement over the existing JBL voyager other than creating a narrow soundstage (perhaps)

Hi Superczar,

I am sure these babies will do good justice for music once paired with the Marantz.....weather proof..something you require in a kitchen which emits smoke, moisture etc....

Pyle PLMR24B 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (Black): Amazon.in: Electronics

Well within budget.....if you get them, please make sure you pen down your experience with them.....

All the best

The drivers on those Pyle speakers look suspiciously similar to the ones that used to be seen in the cheap speakers sold in the neighborhood local electronic shacks back in the 80s/90s :)
I suspect the SQ would probably be a notch below the (albeit mono) sound from the current setup.. Not to mention that the lady of the house would rather throw me out than have them in the house :-/

Last edited:
+1 to the JBL Control 1s. I have a pair in the kitchen too :p They crank out a reasonable amount of bass (relative to their size). Corner placement should help in squeezing out a little more bass out of them. They are fantastic for the price.

Whatever you get for the kitchen make sure none of your selected speakers have paper pulp cones. A polypropylene is a desired option.

I am fine with spending more but I am a sucker for value (i.e. wouldn't want to pay 15K for a $150 pair but fine with spending 25K on what normally sells for say $350)

Consider Taga Harmony Platinum B40 BS for 22K in Hifimart.com. This one price is less in India compared to Europe..

I do however have a short trip to the US lined up next month and if there is something significantly better I can find within $300, I am open to that as well.

When you have option of getting it from US & if you have baggage then you should get it there.. Plenty of options for $300..

Getting from US would be an ideal situation. Look at Paradigm Atom bookshelves and of course the Elac B6. Both have good bass and are within $250.

Getting from US would be an ideal situation. Look at Paradigm Atom bookshelves and of course the Elac B6. Both have good bass and are within $250.
Ordered the A26 ..Thanks for the inputs :)
Was tempted by the B6 but they weight 6kg a piece
Opted for the convenience of home delivery and the fact that since I have to buy blind anyway, it is equally likely that I would have preferred the sonic signature of the A26 over the B6 (or vice versa).

On a side note, My stereo setup has KEF towers which are quite clean and crisp - Another reason why I was tempted towards the so called rich sound of the A26s was to appreciate the difference :licklips:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back