Bookshelves suggestions

firearm12

Hello friends,

I am looking for some suggestions on a pair of bookshelves primarily for music. Please let me know some suggestions, maybe the speaker brands should I go with.

- Room size is 12*18 ft.

- music taste is soft rock, jazz, instrumental, acoustic, indian classical, good old bollywood. No interest in metal.

- looking for a speaker that is on little warm side of neutral, not bright and no metal tweeters. particularly caring for accuracy in the timbre of acoustic instruments like Guitar, sitar, tabla etc, should have airy highs but no fatigue for long time listening. I play a guitar and so know the sound of a real acoustic guitar.

- Amp is marantz pm8003 and recently acquired belles Soloist 5.

- Current speakers are Boston acoustics a26 which have big bass but I find them lacking in clarity and bass/treble quality is somewhat artificial. Acoustic instruments sound somewhat artificial as comapred to dali menuet.

Please note that this is my 2nd setup at my native place. I have Naim/dali Mentor menuet for my 1st which I like very much for my tastes. Along with a sub, the setup really shines. Should I go for Dali again or any better alternative? I don't have any option for audition at where I am right now. Thanks for reading. Any suggestions pls let me know.

"Current speakers are Boston acoustics a26 which have big bass but I find them lacking in clarity and bass/treble..." - you just reinforced my thoughts on these speakers.

I own a pair of GoldenEar AON3s, paired to Cambridge Audio SR10. Brillant sound. Leonard Cohen's and KJ Yesudas' voices get the rich baritone texture that I like from these speakers. I'm not sure if your 8003 is warm sounding, and if yes, you shouldn't miss the AON3s.

I liked the Tannoys (mercury 7 series) as well. Nice mid-range, but the bass was lacking. What's your budget?

Your music taste is similar to mine. I do like the Dali Spektors as well as the Rega speakers. I have the Rega rx5 floors but as such the rx1 bookshelves have a similar sound signature. The tweeter and mid bass drivers are actually the same in both. I did take a listen to Tannoy mercury 7 floors but preferred the other two.

I have a pair of Piega Classic 3.0 for sale. Superb for Smooth Jazz, classical Rock and folk music

Just realised it's pretty useless to buy a speaker without hearing it. Will stick to what I have heard or wait till I am back in Delhi to hear something new.

Boston acoustics a26 which have big bass but I find them lacking in clarity and bass/treble quality is somewhat artificial. Acoustic instruments sound somewhat artificial
Boston acoustics a26 does sound the way you have mentioned, I also do not like it's tonal quality.

- music taste is soft rock, jazz, instrumental, acoustic, indian classical, good old bollywood. No interest in metal.

- looking for a speaker that is on little warm side of neutral, not bright and no metal tweeters. particularly caring for accuracy in the timbre of acoustic instruments like Guitar, sitar, tabla etc, should have airy highs but no fatigue for long time listening. I play a guitar and so know the sound of a real acoustic guitar.
Why don't you check for Sonodyne bookshelf speakers, they are world class, but unfortunately they are mistakenly underrated in this forum. Once I had enquired in Bass n Treble, and they said they keep Sonodyne.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back