Bose 301 Direct/Reflecting

saketselot

Hello folks,

What are the forum member's views on the Bose 301 direct reflecting speakers. How do they compare with similarly priced bookshelves from other brands?

I was thinking of the following package:

1) Norge 1000 Gold Reference Amp
2) Bose 301 direct/reflecting (Have auditioned them in their showroom, and to me they sound as good as some of the others that I've heard. But then I am pretty darn sure that I dont have the trained ear of many of you audiophiles out there, so am not too sure) Ease of buying is certainly a big plus point with bose, can even buy them online!
3) Philips CD/DVD Player

Suggestions please

Warm Regards,
Saket

Saket:

Comparison of Bose speakers with others is difficult as Bose does not publish too much technical details. You will not get too many answers to any question on Bose.

At the same time, as I have said many times before, your ears are the ultimate judge. If you like what you heard from the Bose, you should go ahead and buy it. This is irrespective of what anyone says.

Cheers

What you will get with the Bose 301s is a more immersive sound because of Amar Bose's original funda about how realistic concert-sound is achieved when you reflect the sound of the walls in addition to hearing it directly. In terms of definition, clarity and fidelity you will probably find better bookshelf speakers from other brands for the same price. As Venkat said, let your ears be the judge, but do listen to all the others, using a few of your favourite CDs, and then decide for yourself.

Hi,
Buy it only after hearing what the other options in the price range are. My guess is that these 301 s are about 20K and around that price there are many competent stand mounts available.

HAve heard that this avataar of the 301 is not good and that the earlier series II and III were better. Do these also have 2 tweeters (one side firing) and an 8 inch woofer?

I know most people ridicule Bose and u wont get any positive feedback on most forums. I had bought the 301 in 1990(series II i think) as they sounded good at the time and nothing much was available. They are still there and going strong in my office!!!!!
Regards

Last edited:
have both bose 301 and 901 speakers, using with Sonos system. Both are really good, but you have listen to them to see if you like these

What you will get with the Bose 301s is a more immersive sound because of Amar Bose's original funda about how realistic concert-sound is achieved when you reflect the sound of the walls in addition to hearing it directly. In terms of definition, clarity and fidelity you will probably find better bookshelf speakers from other brands for the same price. As Venkat said, let your ears be the judge, but do listen to all the others, using a few of your favourite CDs, and then decide for yourself.

Yeah, that is my initial impression too, as in the sound really envelops you, more concert like. Though I thought that the bass was a bit underdeveloped, but then thats fine by me.

Hi,
Buy it only after hearing what the other options in the price range are. My guess is that these 301 s are about 20K and around that price there are many competent stand mounts available.

HAve heard that this avataar of the 301 is not good and that the earlier series II and III were better. Do these also have 2 tweeters (one side firing) and an 8 inch woofer?

I know most people ridicule Bose and u wont get any positive feedback on most forums. I had bought the 301 in 1990(series II i think) as they sounded good at the time and nothing much was available. They are still there and going strong in my office!!!!!
Regards

Yes Dinyaar, they have two tweeters, one of which is rear firing and the sub is 8". They retail for about 17k. You mention that there are quite a few competent stand mounts available for that price, it would be great if you could suggest some names, so that I can go and audition them. The store employess in the hi-fi AV shops in juhu treat you like you dont deserve a decent audio system if you dont go and ask for specific names and brands.

music is all about how it sounds, altough technical niceties can really set some people off...

i am working late playing radio teental, streaming from Paris, off my Sonos system into Bose 301 speakers. My study is around 200 sq feet, and system is only playing at 1/4 volume. can hear all notes, instruments.
bollywood could be right next door.

maybe there are better speakers, but these work for me

The store employess in the hi-fi AV shops in juhu treat you like you dont deserve a decent audio system if you dont go and ask for specific names and brands.

Saketselot,
This is very specific to the Indian mentality (here reflected in the audio dealers). Unless one mouths off well-known brand names, one is not respected. It is another matter that one may only know the names and not anything about the technology that is good or bad behind the names. The same thing is true in our educational system as well. Degrees from well-known Univs (preferably outside India) will get you more respect. Your knowledge in your chosen field is a secondary consideration...at least on first impressions.
When such AV stores act snooty, the best thing to do is ignore their existence and audition what you want, regardless of their 'looks'. I can guarantee that most of these stores have people who would not know the difference between a MOSFET and a Bipolar transistor, even if they saw the circuitboard. ;)

Yes Dinyaar, they have two tweeters, one of which is rear firing and the sub is 8". They retail for about 17k. You mention that there are quite a few competent stand mounts available for that price, it would be great if you could suggest some names, so that I can go and audition them. The store employess in the hi-fi AV shops in juhu treat you like you dont deserve a decent audio system if you dont go and ask for specific names and brands.

Hi Again,
Options to consider are
Wharfedale diamonds
Mordaunt Short Avant series (have not heard them myself but these are supposed to be great budget HIFI)
Tannoy Mercury F1
Quad 11L.

Be patient and hear a pair from any of the above ranges and compare the sound (the mids in particular) to the sound of the Bose 301s. If u still like the Bose go for it but at least u heard what else 20K buys u.
Regards

not sure how much the monitor audio bronza br2 costs, but should be around 17k rupees. check them out as well

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back