BOSE 301 Series V Direct /Reflecting Speaker System

raghumailbox

Hi,
Can the BOSE 301 Series V Direct/Reflecting Speaker System be for regular stereo listening? and also working as front L-R speakers to my HT?
Any users here on the thread, please tell me your views.

Hi, I'm also considering to get this pair for my upcoming HT setup. Once I got a demo in Mumbai (the BOSE showroom inside Atria Mall). The 'BOSE 301' was sounding good with a Denon AV Receiver. Though it was not an ideal Stereo setup in an audiophile context but the pair sounded good, at least in their price band of 18k. It was very clear sounding.

My take is that it will be very good for HT but in a conventional Stereo purpose there will be better speaker (Book Shelf) in that price.

State your budget & use. If you are looking for just front speakers, or surrounds or center or subwoofer or combination of all & If you intend to upgrade in the future. (You have mentioned stereo speakers, does that mean you dont intend to upgrade in the future, and that you will always use it for music? Do you intend to use a subwoofer too? If yes, does the budget include the subwoofer?)
Also, do you have space constraints? Should the speakers be small only, or can it be big floorstanding ones? :)

With the same budget you can get much better systems, we can suggest some names and you can get a demo for yourself.

...and do note. You are in a HiEnd audio system forum. If you have come here expecting to hear good stuff about bose, you will be disappointed...and rightly so.

Last edited:
I have been using the Bose 201 direct reflecting (!) for about a 2 years now as surround L/R in 5.1 set up. I had bought them for about 11 k from Bose at atria mall, mumbai. My main/fronts for HT and stereo are Sonodyne towers (see signature).

IMHO the sonodynes sound much much better than bose. I had auditioned the 301s right in the beginning of my hunt for front speakers and found them to be only average for stereo/music. I had connected the 201 to my front ch after i got them home just for the heck and was quite disappointed with the sound. The buy was purely impulsive, just for glam..!:p To tell you frankly it was just to show those guys to say with a open mouth "you are spending so much on a sound system and not buying BOSE..!" As my bias is 80% music it really did not matter much what surrounds I have.

Atleast for 2 ch music listening there are many better book shelf speakers out there in the 18-20 k budget- wharfedale, mission, Polk, MS etc. do audition these before you decide.

cheers.

Hi,
Can the BOSE 301 Series V Direct/Reflecting Speaker System be for regular stereo listening? and also working as front L-R speakers to my HT?

The Bose 301 V is one of Bose's better attempts at making speakers.
They are not bad at all however because of the rear firing tweeter , placement is key if you want the BOSE everywhere sound. Infact placement is the most important in making these speakers sound right.
However this hurts imaging as the sound is everywhere.

That is one of the cons or reflecting speakers vs Direct Radiating.
However you can use it as fronts for Stereo as well as HT. But because of the diffused sounds Bose 301's are better off as rears.

However you can do much better at the 18k the 301 commands.

State your budget & use. If you are looking for just front speakers, or surrounds or center or subwoofer or combination of all & If you intend to upgrade in the future. (You have mentioned stereo speakers, does that mean you dont intend to upgrade in the future, and that you will always use it for music? Do you intend to use a subwoofer too? If yes, does the budget include the subwoofer?)
Also, do you have space constraints? Should the speakers be small only, or can it be big floorstanding ones? :)

With the same budget you can get much better systems, we can suggest some names and you can get a demo for yourself.

...and do note. You are in a HiEnd audio system forum. If you have come here expecting to hear good stuff about bose, you will be disappointed...and rightly so.

I already have the 5.1 Acoustimass 15 series I.
Since I am renovating my room with internal wall cabling, I want to make a 7.1 setup. So insted of adding 2 speakers on rear I will push the front to rear and make 301 as front.

My main idea is to make all speakers BOSE.

I already have the 5.1 Acoustimass 15 series I.
Since I am renovating my room with internal wall cabling, I want to make a 7.1 setup. So insted of adding 2 speakers on rear I will push the front to rear and make 301 as front.

My main idea is to make all speakers BOSE.

The acoustimass and direct reflecting have significantly different sound signatures (and size). But as you mEntioned using the 301 as frOnt/stereo would be a good option. I guess if your budget Permits, the 901s are a good option- because you want all speakers BOSE. I found their sound far better than anything else in the Bose product basket.

Cheers

Hi, I'm also considering to get this pair for my upcoming HT setup. Once I got a demo in Mumbai (the BOSE showroom inside Atria Mall). The 'BOSE 301' was sounding good with a Denon AV Receiver.
I listened to Bose speakers in what was then their only showroom in India at Delhi a decade ago and they sounded very good to me. Of course I moved on because I could not afford them at that time.

I recently visited my Boss's place who is very proud of his Bose Accoustimas HT driven by Denon 1910 receiver and listened to a few tracks. Horrible sounding is what I can describe them as; definitely not for music.

I don't mean to hurt the feelings of Bose users here but hey, this is a public forum and people come here to seek guidance. I think it is a bigger crime to mislead them than possibly upset a few of my dear forum members who I'm sure would forgive me after sometime.

Last edited:
the bose 301's are primarily stereo speakers. i have heard the latest bose 301's on a yamaha amp and was very impressed with it considering the price range. very well rounded speaker. good bass and can be played quite loud considering its size - these two normally suffer when it comes to bookshelves

I have a pair of Bose 301 and I can tell you that its the best speaker made by Bose with 8 inch woofer. The sound is room filling and balanced.Take an audition at Bose Store.

i have tried both the floorstanding and bookshelf speakers from bose while searching and didnt like them.
When i visited bestbuy asking for bookshelf the sales guy suggested one from boston acoustics to be better than bose.

i have tried both the floorstanding and bookshelf speakers from bose while searching and didnt like them.
When i visited bestbuy asking for bookshelf the sales guy suggested one from boston acoustics to be better than bose.

didnt know bose made floorstanders....

Currently there is only 901 which are considered floor standers...dud not see 701 atleast on their indian website.

Even 901s are just bigger book shelves...nothing more. They have more mid range drivers...check the Bose india website

Hi,

One person known to my friend is doing sound system setup for schools and small hotels etc. He is offering Bose 301 speakers and as per him he is getting them through some contact in Singapore / Malasia. He had couple of pieces in his place. The speakers has BOSE name, but the model 301 is not mentioned anywhere (including the sticker with serial number). I had an audition of the same with Poineer A103 stereo Amp. The sound quality is decent. However, I am not sure how genuine the speakers are considering no mention of model. However, the dimension measure matches with 301.

Is there anyway to find if it is genuine? I am attaching the photo of the same.

Regards
Deva

Attachments

• Bose 301.jpg
    Bose 301.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 93
Positioning maters with this Bose , u get a ultra wide soundstage if u place this wisely and hope your amp has a warmer midrange, as Bose sounds oil dull at that area

Positioning maters with this Bose , u get a ultra wide soundstage if u place this wisely and hope your amp has a warmer midrange, as Bose sounds oil dull at that area

Thanks. I have confirmed that speakers are Bose 301 and the stickers are partly peeled out which is something to do with the billing / import from Singapore it seems. I will be getting the international warranty though.

Presently I have paired them with a old Pioneer A103 amp. Sounds pretty good, but I don't have any reference to compare and tell how good / bad they are. Will be getting another high end amp soon.

I don't have any knowledge about positioning the speakers, should do trial and error basis to get the best possibile sound. I am planning to get a pair of second hand wharfedale also if I can get one less than 10K.

Mm, place them in the horizontal position at your ear level, and sit some 4 meters away from them. I don't know about the import duty problems on having the brand name on speakers.301 is 12 k in India it seems..301 is not having special drivers, they are just paper I believe , and if any thing is good on 301, it's just the driver arrangement, when kept at the position I mentioned earlier, the woofer sound is more directed to you ears and the higher freq directed outwards, resulting in a wide feeling. In short highs will sound like they are from distance and the mids and bass from somewhere closer.. It depends on the crossover here again to judge what sound has to be through to the 'distant' driver and what must the 'straight' sound..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back