Bose cinemate 520 review

I agree there are many options. One thing I will say is they have a great customer support for questions service etc. Many companies lack it. B&W is one of them. Especially in the states. Base on experience. As for alternatives. The biggest part is ease of use. The no brainier set up. It is hard to come up with an alternative with a minimalistic design easy plug and play option. I appreciate Yamaha. I think when it comes to sound they really do great stuff and experiment. Last I heard they had a proprietary setup with 11.2 channel system. They have well built recievers.

I appreciate this thread. It's been a while since I've had good talk on sound. I was thinking of getting the cinemate 520 in the future. I may.

Hi,
I am writing my review on bose cinemate 520 after a long pause from forum .
After comparing it with Definitive (UIW BP/A) in wall speakers + Denon amp set up in 21'x21' living room with out any acoustics treatment except false ceiling at 8'6" ht from floor vs my bose cinemate 520 set up in a 13'x16' room with out any acoustics treatments and 10' ht raw ceiling .

1.Bose wireless woofer (accoustimass) amazingly syncs with central console with out any delay .Wireless gives you free hand to hide the woofer literally any where you want up to 25' (tested) from central console .

2.Woofer sync with speakers in bose is superb,Every time i feel as if my speakers have in built woofers .Its humanly impossible to find out the woofer location even if you are sitting next to it .In definitive speakers this is missing ( may be its denon amp issue ),I give 6/10 for definitive
I watch movies sitting on bean bag and next to bose woofer (placed 14' away from console and in line to rear speakers) even then i hardly makes out that woofer is next to me .
I give woofer syc for bose 10/10

3.At low frequency & high volume bose cinemate 520 woofer will let u down a bit but its clean and tight and no distortion even at full volume , so this is not for those with high bass music lovers. I give Bose woofer at lower notes 6/10

4.Size of the central console( amp ) is exactly size of airtel dth hd recorder and weighs half of set up box.
I give bose 10/10 for sophistication in size of speakers and console

5.Bose Adaptiq technology to audio adjustment really works like it says ,it tunes the system to what ever acoustics materials in that room .
I give 9/10 for bose and 7/10 for definitive

6. The speaker built quality of definite will beat out bose in all directions and they have option to fit them in the walls .The weight of speakers are same in both 1.5kg approx
Built quality i give bose 8/10 and definitive 10/10

7. Surrounds i give Bose 9/10 and definitive 6/10

8. Power saver, Full universal remote, easy operations ,installations and other options
Bose - 9/10 , definitive 7/10

9. Sound clarity - No noise or electrical interface issues in Bose at all.
Bose 9/10 , definitive 8/10

I recommend Bose cinemate 520 than Definitive (UIW BP/A) in wall speakers based on my personal preferences of enjoying music than sound

Definitive is recommended for larger sounds with proper acoustics setup.

Though Definitive(UIW BP/A) in wall speakers is not HMIB i compared because of the speaker & woofer sizes and i have access to them in real conditions .Tough denon amp is 4-5 times bigger than bose console .

Disclaimer - I am not pro BOSE for a dedicated home theater set up ,but for sure in a living room to get BEST HT effect with out compromising on looks.I am dead against to large speakers and they cannot be compared with mini speakers like Bose . Price wise both systems are almost same .Bose (1.2lac) & Definitive (1.6 lac)

Regards
Ar.Praveen.N
Ardes Architects & Interior Designers
https://www.facebook.com/ardes.architects
Ardes Architects & Interior Designers

Correction to above post

Bose cinemate 520 cost - 1.1 lac (USA- 2015) and Definitive cost 1.2 lac (India - 2011) including installation charges

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back