Bose Speaker Design and Size vs Others.

deba

Dear All,

The size of Bose Speakers compared to any other manufacturer is much smaller and lighter and Bose claims it produces bigger sound from smaller packages.The basic idea is you dont "see" sound but you "hear" it.

How true is Bose in its claim when compared to any hugh floor standing loudspeakers made by any english hi fi manufacturer.Does this hugh speakers which takes up a lot of space sound better then those small and sleek Bose design.

Comment please.
Thanks.

Dear All,

The size of Bose Speakers compared to any other manufacturer is much smaller and lighter and Bose claims it produces bigger sound from smaller packages.The basic idea is you dont "see" sound but you "hear" it.

How true is Bose in its claim when compared to any hugh floor standing loudspeakers made by any english hi fi manufacturer.Does this hugh speakers which takes up a lot of space sound better then those small and sleek Bose design.

Comment please.
Thanks.

deba go and check this out yourself - while the midrange and highs afre often very nice for Bose (immediate selling point) the often overlooked feature is the bass aspect of bose (mostly muddy at times). I have checked out Bose many a time in Delhi at their store - they somehow lacked the ability to produce distinct bass effect and often turned out boomy. (which again many would like).

Ditto for the 7 speaker bose system in a Nissan 350 Z - deplorable.

Deba:

There are a number of threads where the design and usability of Bose speakers have been discussed in detail. Please search for them in the forum.

Cheers

Dear All,

Thanks.

If you are a fan of sub-sat combo speakers, Check out Indian made 'Lithos Acoustics'. I haven't auditioned them but from various audiophiles' experience here, they simply blow out the BOSE..

Lithos Acoustics

noa1

To put things into prespective, The noa1 package (2 sat and 1 sub) costs around 17k

If you are a fan of sub-sat combo speakers, Check out Indian made 'Lithos Acoustics'. I haven't auditioned them but from various audiophiles' experience here, they simply blow out the BOSE..

Lithos Acoustics

noa1

To put things into prespective, The noa1 package (2 sat and 1 sub) costs around 17k
If I am not wrong, noa1 has passive SW, so need an amp to drive them

Lithos Acoustics

noa1

you got the money and a taste for music - go for cadence. Even their lowly(apparently) bookshelves can beat the heck out of certain models in that segment and much much beyond with their sound stage and amplification. And their towers starting at 1.3lakhs is a great VFM.

If I am not wrong, noa1 has passive SW, so need an amp to drive them

You are correct. The NOA1 has a passive sub woofer. But Rajiv has put in some clever design with his electronics and crossover. You do not need too much power to drive the NOAI system. I have heard it with an entry level Marantz amplifier, and it sounded very good.

Cheers

Lithos Acoustics

noa1

I guess, the question here is, keeping only the form factor in mind (forget about the price factor for a moment), doesn't the Bose perform better compared to similarly 'sized' systems?

Guys, don't pounce on me ;-) have never heard a Bose or any of the systems you guys mentioned here .. :(

Last edited:
I guess, the question here is, keeping only the form factor in mind (forget about the price factor for a moment), doesn't the Bose perform better compared to similarly 'sized' systems?(

No. Here are examples of equivalent sound systems at a much lower price point:

Sony IS10
http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/review/2007/11/22/Sony-DAV-IS10-DVD-Home-Cinema-System/p1
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665098460

Orb Audio
http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=8

These are just from memory. If you scout around, there will be others. Bose does what it does well for the size: provide listenable sound in a compact package. However, it's pricing is atrocious.
Similar to Bang & Olufsen products: They have good performance if their cost was 3-4 times lower than what they currently sell for.

-Jinx

No. Here are examples of equivalent sound systems at a much lower price point:

Sony IS10
Sony DAV-IS10 DVD Home Cinema System Review - Home Cinema Reviews - TrustedReviews
DAV-IS10 | BRAVIA Theater Micro System - black speakers | Sony | SonyStyle USA

Orb Audio
Home Theater Speakers

These are just from memory. If you scout around, there will be others. Bose does what it does well for the size: provide listenable sound in a compact package. However, it's pricing is atrocious.
Similar to Bang & Olufsen products: They have good performance if their cost was 3-4 times lower than what they currently sell for.

-Jinx

Sony system 'might' be better than Bo$e in terms of performance but how different are they from Bo$e in terms of usage - if one goes kaput, throw everything else to dustbin;)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back