boston acoustics xs1 vs custom setup.

fedexp

Hi,

I have to make a big decision today.
I see that hifimart has boston acoustics xs1 listed for 23.9k INR. I do not have the time/facility to audition these speakers, so I need quick opinions/advice from you guys.

I understand that these are 5 star speakers and the price tag on hifimart is just about perfect (they are about same price in amazon.com). I am tempted to buy them. But, I've been had a different plan in my head for my home theater setup.

A little detail about what I have already:

Room: 13x22 living room. Lots of empty spaces, just closed on one side.
Existing equipment: Onkyo nr 609 7.1 avr, 9.1 concealed speaker wiring, make shift bookshelfs from an old panasonic hifi system, lg 42 ld650 lcd tv, popcorn hour a200.
Originally planned ideal setup: Fronts: Polk rti bookshelves. Center: Polk CS10, Surrounds: Polk OMW M3, Rear and zone2: any budget speakers, Sub: Polk PSW125.
Budget:70,000
Living with make shift setup for : 5 months
Expect to buy each component one at at time and get to ideal setup in: another 6 months.

So, I came across boston acoustics and it has put me into a huge dilemma.
Here's why:
1) My ideal setup is space consuming. All those fronts in my living room are going to look huge and aesthetically ugly. Not a problem for me, but convincing the wife is the toughest part.
2) Ideal setup = long wait ahead.
3) Even with ideal setup, I would lose good amount of sound quality thanks to the open room.
4) With ideal setup, will have to buy stands/mounts separately - I don't see good stuff available in this area.

Here's why I am tempted to buy boston acoustics xs1:
1) Compact size and too many good reviews.
2) Even if I buy it for 24k and I don't like the speakers, I can always use the Sub, and buy my ideal speakers (polks), later. I can live with this sub for that 24k INR (even though the polk audio one was costing me 18k and I've take an audition and I loved it).
3) Comes with mounts and looks very appealing.
4) Best case scenario, I might just love it, and it would save me nearly 50k in cash! (polks are all imported, and hence their extra cost).

Here's what I am frustrated/confused about:

1) No time to take an audition of Boston Acoustics XS, have to buy it on blind faith of reviews.
2) Having taken an audition of all the polks - the fact that I might feel disappointed with XS1 sub, once I receive it.
3) Lack of understanding of what is superior brand in terms of quality and product lines and history. I understand both are american brands.

So here are my questions to you guys:
1) Have you guys owned/ auditioned both Boston Acoustics XS and polks? Are polks in a different league compared to BA XS?
2) Am I unnecessarily getting tempted into buying BA? I am better off slowly adding polks to my setup like I had initially planned to?
3) Can anyone of you with technical spec understanding compare the specs of the center channel in BS XS1 and Polk CS10 and BS XS1 sub to Polk PSW125 and tell me which one is superior specs wise?

I would appreciate your response - I just have less than a 1 day 20 hours to finish the buy on hifimart.

Nice brief request and outputs from your end.

Straight advice is never buy an item without and audition.:) 24K may be an small amount for you but don't compromise on your setup. The earth is not going to get reversed and price of the item is not going to shoot up in 1day and 20 hours.

You are getting married after a brief search and some reasonable waiting period.
Search for an nice music partner for your living room, take your own time and start doing audition which people here have done extensively.:)

XXX.. Never rely on the 5 stars given in sites..

thank you, srinisundar. You calmed my nerves a bit :)

btw, I checked out the 8TB Sharespace WD NAS in your signature! I see a listed price of 1.2lac INR!! Did it you actually spend that kind of money for it?

Last edited:
thank you, srinisundar. You calmed my nerves a bit :)

btw, I checked out the 8TB Sharespace WD NAS in your signature! I see a listed price of 1.2lac INR!! Did it you actually spend that kind of money for it?

Not so much...may be near about 60 to 70K, exactly don't remember.

Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back