Boston Acoustics XS2.1 - Control Pod Stuck on all Green Lights (No Audio)

karanmalhotra86

Hi,

I have a Boston Acoustics XS2.1 system which suddenly developed an issue. When I turn the system on, the control pod glows with all green lights. But then instead of the lights turning off like they have normally done, they remain turned on.

Pressing any button on the remote does not make any difference.

I am unable to connect any source to it. I have my TV connected to it via Optical and the speakers are not outputting any audio.

It seems the system is stuck while trying to start up and thus not able to reach a steady state where it can output audio.

Need help in either identifying the issue or finding a repair shop who can help in fixing this issue.

The system is about 7 years old and has not had any problems upto now.

Regards,
KM
Pune

Hi,

I have a Boston Acoustics XS2.1 system which suddenly developed an issue. When I turn the system on, the control pod glows with all green lights. But then instead of the lights turning off like they have normally done, they remain turned on.

I am unable to connect any source to it. I have my TV connected to it via Optical and the speakers are not outputting any audio.

It seems the system is stuck while trying to start up and thus not able to reach a steady state where it can output audio.

Need help in either identifying the issue or finding a repair shop who can help in fixing this issue.

Regards,
KM
Pune

Based on what you have mention it seems to be signs of internal component failure or weakness. One thing that could be done is unplugging the system directly when its on..serves sometimes as a hard reset.

Since it is out of warranty, you may need to take the same to a repairer who has appropriate knowledge of checking and telling you the issue.

Based on what you have mention it seems to be signs of internal component failure or weakness. One thing that could be done is unplugging the system directly when its on..serves sometimes as a hard reset.

Since it is out of warranty, you may need to take the same to a repairer who has appropriate knowledge of checking and telling you the issue.
I've tried unplugging several times now - no change. Also, I'm not able to find any repair shops in Pune that work on this kind of a system. At least when I mention the brand, they refuse.

Hi,

Regards,
KM
Pune
I had faced similar issue 5 years ago if I recall it correctly. In my case it was related to the power supply module on the subwoofer plate amp. At that time I had searched on net and got an address in Bangalore. I took it there and it was serviced in a couple of days. I had paid rs500 for it. If I recollect the address will share it to you.

I had faced similar issue 5 years ago if I recall it correctly. In my case it was related to the power supply module on the subwoofer plate amp. At that time I had searched on net and got an address in Bangalore. I took it there and it was serviced in a couple of days. I had paid rs500 for it. If I recollect the address will share it to you.
Thanks! I also have a feeling its an issue with the power supply circuit as I don't hear the 2nd relay click.
Still trying to find a repair shop in Pune. Don't know how feasible it will be to send it to Bangalore for repairs.

I've tried unplugging several times now - no change. Also, I'm not able to find any repair shops in Pune that work on this kind of a system. At least when I mention the brand, they refuse.

Why not email Boston and see what they suggest and who are their authorised service folks in India?

Do you know how to open the unit to do a visual inspection inside?

Yes, I can do that by hit and trial. I see a lot of screws at the back.
Great. But make sure the power cable is not connected. Also after you open it don't touch anything if your unit was connected to mains just few minutes back. I managed to find the service manual for your unit. I can email it to you if you want. It shows which screws to remove for removing the amp/power supply unit

Great. But make sure the power cable is not connected. Also after you open it don't touch anything if your unit was connected to mains just few minutes back. I managed to find the service manual for your unit. I can email it to you if you want. It shows which screws to remove for removing the amp/power supply unit
Thanks! Yes, please share the link to the manual. I was about to start digging through my store room for the original manual.

Thanks again. Will try to muster some courage to open it. But do you know any repair shops in Pune who work on this kind of equipment?
No. But any repair guy should be able to repair it if you give him the service manual. In 90% of the cases it the SMPS that goes bad and since you are in Pune, the voltage now is always crosses 240v. The govt has quietly modified the standards in 2014 from 230v +- 5% to 240v +- 10%. The SMPS is the first thing that goes bad. In my society electronic equpiments are regularly going bad since the lockdown last year.

I keep a voltmeter and stabilizer in every room.

No. But any repair guy should be able to repair it if you give him the service manual. In 90% of the cases it the SMPS that goes bad and since you are in Pune, the voltage now is always crosses 240v. The govt has quietly modified the standards in 2014 from 230v +- 5% to 240v +- 10%. The SMPS is the first thing that goes bad. In my society electronic equpiments are regularly going bad since the lockdown last year.

I keep a voltmeter and stabilizer in every room.
You're right about the voltage. While troubleshooting this issue, I checked the voltage in the socket where the system was connected. Its hovering around 245-265V.
So it sounds reasonable that the power supply circuit may have failed.
Might have to start buying stabilizers. Now I'm wondering if my Sony TV also died because of the same high Voltage.

Might have to start buying stabilizers. Now I'm wondering if my Sony TV also died because of the same high Voltage.
Indeed. It are the television sets that are conking out like crazy. It is probably because the TV is one appliance that is switched on almost all the time. The voltage thing makes me very angry. Even complained to MSEB and showed them the readings. But apparently nothing can be done. The standards have been lowered to make power supply equipment cheaper. I guess this is to do with private players entering the power generation business lately.

Back