Bought an Onkyo 3200 HTIB

realactivex

Was reeling under a cash crunch. Hence had to abandon my plan of going for separates and ended up with an Onkyo HTS 3200 HTiB. Sadly, this is available in silver colour only.

I am not greatly impressed with this (please dont take me wrong.. it is a very personal opinion and prospective buyers reading this post- please take this comment with a generous dose of salt), maybe due to my mind block that this was some sort of compromise. (yes i know i need to get over this and enjoy my system without cribbing). I need to live with this for atleast another year.

I set it up yesterday and took quite some time. Though my listening experience is hardly a day old, i would want to comment on other aspects.

1. package: The HTIB comes in a 18 inch *18 inch *30 inch box (rough dimensions). It says that two persons are needed to lift it. However for short distances you could do it yourself. The box weighs around 15 kgs. It is very easy to take off the components from the box when you unpack. The passive subwoofer is around 5 kgs.

2. connections: The stock wires are pathetic. The strands are cut and soldered together to form a single lead and is hardly 1mm thick. I would not recommend it for the subwoofer -especially as the woofer is passive.
The front speakers have banana plug/screw system. All the others have the spring clasp system (press the button, insert the bare lead and release the spring lock). This can take in wires upto 2mm thick safely. Unfortunately- my leads were 22 guage :-( in anticipation of a bigger system. Therefore i had a lot of difficulty trying to fit these strands. I had to prune the copper.
The spring clasp connects are very close to one another. There is a serious chance of a short circuit. I would not recommend any cable bigger than 28 guage for this. The HDMI leads are again close to each other and if you have a thick connector (like mine) you can only use two of the three HMI input ports. You need to use separate connects for audio (coax or optical)
My hdmi IN ports were connected to the samsung Bluray Player and to the Pioneer DVD player. Audio in through Opt and coax respectively.The HDMI out
was connected to the epson 1080p Projector. The cable set top box was connected to the composite 1and the composite out connected to the panasonic plasma PV8. This was because i fugured i would be watching my movies on the projector and therefore i connected my major set up to the receiver's main ports.

3. Handling: The receiver is under 5kgs and the build looks good for the money. However it has very sharp metallic edges. You need to careful of the corners if you are working in tight spots. One good thing is that the receiver does not get very hot. You can comfortable place your palm on it without a burn.

4. Pictures: I shall post my Hometheater pictures tomorrow.

5. Initial set up: The speaker lengths have to be manually entered. There is an option for pink noise test to ascertain the level and positioning of the speakers. individual speaker levels can be set up. The volume knob goes upto 75 units (not dBs) and i have used it at level 45. Anything below that is barely audible. You will also have to associate the audio input to the corresponding video inputs (for eg: associate HDMI IN 1 to video signal from DVDP and opt in 1 to audio signal from dvdp etc)

6. Performance: As is typical of these systems, the mid and high was bright and the bass was low. I tried bass boost and audyssey equaliser but there were of limited avail. The dialogue clarity is pretty good. and the high freq effects like swords clashing etc are fun. However the LFE like thunder etc need to be better.

7. Price: I bought this from Modern radio, airport road bangalore and the customer service was first class. I got to take it home immediately.. no waiting. i paid 24,990 for this system and got an optical cable free.

Was reeling under a cash crunch. Hence had to abandon my plan of going for separates and ended up with an Onkyo HTS 3200 HTiB. Sadly, this is available in silver colour only.

I am not greatly impressed with this (please dont take me wrong.. it is a very personal opinion and prospective buyers reading this post- please take this comment with a generous dose of salt), maybe due to my mind block that this was some sort of compromise. (yes i know i need to get over this and enjoy my system without cribbing). I need to live with this for atleast another year.

I set it up yesterday and took quite some time. Though my listening experience is hardly a day old, i would want to comment on other aspects.

1. package: The HTIB comes in a 18 inch *18 inch *30 inch box (rough dimensions). It says that two persons are needed to lift it. However for short distances you could do it yourself. The box weighs around 15 kgs. It is very easy to take off the components from the box when you unpack. The passive subwoofer is around 5 kgs.

2. connections: The stock wires are pathetic. The strands are cut and soldered together to form a single lead and is hardly 1mm thick. I would not recommend it for the subwoofer -especially as the woofer is passive.
The front speakers have banana plug/screw system. All the others have the spring clasp system (press the button, insert the bare lead and release the spring lock). This can take in wires upto 2mm thick safely. Unfortunately- my leads were 22 guage :-( in anticipation of a bigger system. Therefore i had a lot of difficulty trying to fit these strands. I had to prune the copper.
The spring clasp connects are very close to one another. There is a serious chance of a short circuit. I would not recommend any cable bigger than 28 guage for this. The HDMI leads are again close to each other and if you have a thick connector (like mine) you can only use two of the three HMI input ports. You need to use separate connects for audio (coax or optical)
My hdmi IN ports were connected to the samsung Bluray Player and to the Pioneer DVD player. Audio in through Opt and coax respectively.The HDMI out
was connected to the epson 1080p Projector. The cable set top box was connected to the composite 1and the composite out connected to the panasonic plasma PV8. This was because i fugured i would be watching my movies on the projector and therefore i connected my major set up to the receiver's main ports.

3. Handling: The receiver is under 5kgs and the build looks good for the money. However it has very sharp metallic edges. You need to careful of the corners if you are working in tight spots. One good thing is that the receiver does not get very hot. You can comfortable place your palm on it without a burn.

5. Initial set up: The speaker lengths have to be manually entered. There is an option for pink noise test to ascertain the level and positioning of the speakers. individual speaker levels can be set up. The volume knob goes upto 75 units (not dBs) and i have used it at level 45. Anything below that is barely audible. You will also have to associate the audio input to the corresponding video inputs (for eg: associate HDMI IN 1 to video signal from DVDP and opt in 1 to audio signal from dvdp etc)

6. Performance: As is typical of these systems, the mid and high was bright and the bass was low. I tried bass boost and audyssey equaliser but there were of limited avail. The dialogue clarity is pretty good. and the high freq effects like swords clashing etc are fun. However the LFE like thunder etc need to be better.

7. Price: I bought this from Modern radio, airport road bangalore and the customer service was first class. I got to take it home immediately.. no waiting. i paid 24,990 for this system and got an optical cable free.

Maan!,

After reading ur post I don't know what to do?:rolleyes: To congratulate u :clapping:OR to console u?:sad:

U definitely r unhappy of ur purchase on First day itself. But, I believe u will come to terms with it within few days. They say " Familiarity breeds contempt" but they don't know familiarity also builds bonds. Give urself time to get used to it and enjoy what u have now.

I don't think realisation of ur wishlist is Too Far. Best of Luck to you on wishlist. Bye the time, Enjoyyy ur 3200.

hi. is it gud for music also?? or only for movies like other onkyo models.. black color available in market or not..?

Congracts man !! Post pictures of your entire setup too...

Last week saw demo of 3100 @ Croma in Phoenix Mall, Lower Parel, Mumbai. Not much impressed. Even the staff had hard time demonstrating it. What's the diff. between 3100 & 3200 ?

Do post a small review after some playback of movies etc..I am thinking of buying something for my parents...probably an Onkyo will suit both the movies and the budget :D

3. Handling: The receiver is under 5kgs and the build looks good for the money.

I am not sure from where you got weights? Are these from your judgement or mentioned in any manual?

These are the weights (kgs) mentioned at Onkyo website:

Front speakers 1.0 x 02 = 2.0
Centre = 1.4
Surrounds = 0.7 x 02 = 1.4
Sub 6.9
Receiver = 9.1
Total = 20.8

The total box weight should be 20.8 + carton weight (say 2 kgs) = approx 23kgs.

I am sorry, the weights were wrongly mentioned. Reju is right.
but i honestly did not feel the receiver as heavy as 10 kgs.

I was watching planet earth blu ray yesterday. The audio was routed through the 3200- optical and video through the hdmi of the 3200.
The disk cover mentioned that the presentation was in dolby digital 5.1.
For strange reason, despite using all the available dsp sound modes, i could not see the dolby emblem in the recv display. and surprisingly the dts logo lit up in one of the modes!!. I know for sure that there was no dts sound track.

The sound lacked the punch and it was in mono.
any pointers please?

I was watching planet earth blu ray yesterday. The audio was routed through the 3200- optical and video through the hdmi of the 3200.
The disk cover mentioned that the presentation was in dolby digital 5.1.
For strange reason, despite using all the available dsp sound modes, i could not see the dolby emblem in the recv display. and surprisingly the dts logo lit up in one of the modes!!. I know for sure that there was no dts sound track.

The sound lacked the punch and it was in mono.
any pointers please?

Where is the BR player mentioned in your setup? Are you sure you were playing that format? If indeed so, have you checked the audio settings in your player?

i have HP laptop with HDMI, screen resolution is 1024x768, so when i connected my laptop directly to LCDTV(40") video is coming only small resolution(1024x768). i m thinking to buy Onkyo model, and my plan is to connect Laptop HDMI out to Onkyo and then Onkyo HDMI out to LCD, then i will get full resoution(1920x1080) or what? please tell me..?

hello, i am posting some pictures of my hts 3200 setup

onkyohts320001.jpg

onkyohts320002.jpg

onkyohts320003.jpg

onkyohts320004.jpg

onkyohts320005.jpg

onkyohts320006.jpg

onkyohts320007.jpg

onkyohts320008.jpg

onkyohts320009.jpg

Attachments

• onkyo hts3200 01.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 01.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 56
  • onkyo hts3200 02.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 02.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 55
  • onkyo hts3200 03.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 03.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 55
  • onkyo hts3200 04.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 04.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 56
  • onkyo hts3200 05.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 05.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
hello, i am posting some pictures of my hts 3200 setup

onkyohts320001.jpg

onkyohts320002.jpg

onkyohts320003.jpg

onkyohts320004.jpg

onkyohts320005.jpg

onkyohts320006.jpg

onkyohts320007.jpg

onkyohts320008.jpg

onkyohts320009.jpg

Attachments

• onkyo hts3200 06.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 06.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 52
  • onkyo hts3200 07.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 07.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 52
  • onkyo hts3200 08.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 08.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 53
  • onkyo hts3200 09.jpg
    onkyo hts3200 09.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
1. Give it 50-100 hours of burn in. Most speakers need that kind of time to perform their best.

2. Try to listen to them for some time. You may get used to them and may start enjoying the sound after a while. Perhaps, 1 and 2 together will make a difference.

3. Frankly, Onkyo isn't the best for music. And HTiBs that too within just 20k or so don't perform exceptionally well for music. Even a Wharf 9.1 + Norge 2060 which is a setup which can be had for less than 20k will pawn your entire HT pretty badly, even in the bass department for that matter.

However, there is little you can do now that you have bought it, unless you want to sell it of course. :p

I would suggest, let them burn in and keep listening to them as they burn in. If you don't like them after another month or two, sell them for like 15-17k and go in for either an expensive HT or an entry level 2.0.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back