Boycott Chinese goods - Is it possible

It's time for new Indian companies to start producing and manufacturing for the market potential we have rather than relying on outside sources.

its not about boycott at once, if we start thinking about it now and start taking baby steps, may be in next 10-20 years we will be self dependent.
Yes that is the approach we should be taking. We can't take on Chinese cheap imports at once. It is going to take time for Indian companies to scale up. With the government apush for make in India, it will happen ultimately. From our part, we can look to the product orgin and consider alternative made in India stuffs.

Yes that is the approach we should be taking. We can't take on Chinese cheap imports at once. It is going to take time for Indian companies to scale up. With the government apush for make in India, it will happen ultimately. From our part, we can look to the product orgin and consider alternative made in India stuffs.
Someone in this forum or on another forum had commented sometime back that how easy it was to open an export industry in China and operate very easily. It took him just 6 months to get everything operational and the Chinese helped him to establish it at every level. Maybe everything is changed now due to the border tensions but my point is it is still difficult to establish a SSI in India without red tapeisum. The make in India has never happened and it is still in paper only in many states. Trying to find some niche electronics or various other products is almost impossible now after Ali express ban. Hope government cuts the red tape and pushes for make in India a reality but we have a very long way to go.

Someone in this forum or on another forum had commented sometime back that how easy it was to open an export industry in China and operate very easily. It took him just 6 months to get everything operational and the Chinese helped him to establish it at every level. Maybe everything is changed now due to the border tensions but my point is it is still difficult to establish a SSI in India without red tapeisum. The make in India has never happened and it is still in paper only in many states. Trying to find some niche electronics or various other products is almost impossible now after Ali express ban. Hope government cuts the red tape and pushes for make in India a reality but we have a very long way to go.
Rightly said. This is the mentality of government on boosting local production for more revenue but never see what actual consumer needs and how they get affected. Same trend to the imported tax. For example a good quality bicycle was taxed @ 12% import fee but raised to 36% at once during 2012-13 for encouraging local made. Bicycle are not even a luxury item. Still now I dont see the quality of indian bicycles improved (but only the price of local cycles have kept increasing). Many Indian products are not really making value for the end product they offer. I see many EU countries are cheaper in expenses compared to a metro in India. And consumers are facing it. PLI schemes are way better, it encourages the local production in positive direction without hurting the consumer options. Western countries still rule by not producing locally but having companies with good R&D. India dont have to be production hub for a stronger economy, but focus on good inhouse products will help to lead.

Someone in this forum or on another forum had commented sometime back that how easy it was to open an export industry in China and operate very easily. It took him just 6 months to get everything operational and the Chinese helped him to establish it at every level.
On this very thread in fact.
Maybe everything is changed now due to the border tensions but my point is it is still difficult to establish a SSI in India without red tapeisum. The make in India has never happened and it is still in paper only in many states. Trying to find some niche electronics or various other products is almost impossible now after Ali express ban. Hope government cuts the red tape and pushes for make in India a reality but we have a very long way to go.
Its easier to destruct than come up with constructive solutions.

It is a rather arduous task to be the "wind of change" and rectify your own system than pick holes in other. The former is not an easy path to walk and one should not be blamed for not having the wherewithal to do it but in my humble opinion, the latter is best avoided.

That is only half the story though, imports have grown faster than exports.

Cheers,
Sid

What is the relevance of this link with this topic? Is it to point out that the boycott of Chinese goods was so successful that we started producing in India and not only that, we overproduced and are now exporting that excess?

Just to get back to the OP topic, we seem to be giving more money to an enemy than a friend. BTW I am politically neutral, only pointing towards the facts which seem to get lost in rhetoric.
Cheers,
Sid
"China became India’s largest trading partner in 2021, thanks to a surge in India imports from China. In December 2021, India’s imports from China rose to an annual rate of more than $120 billion. India’s biggest export market remains the US, but China is its largest supplier."
1648128158480.png

Last edited:
we seem to be giving more money to an enemy than a friend.
There are no official enemies and friends except in the minds and social media posts of moronic IT Cell employees of political parties who want to keep the cauldron bubbling so that gullible simpletons are taken in. Doesn't seem to be too difficult a task at all if you look all around us. :rolleyes:

That is only half the story though, imports have grown faster than exports.

Cheers,
Sid
True indeed, I take this with a pinch of salt. Our best bet is to reduce this trade deficit as much as possible, either by increasing exports or reducing unnecessary imports like those cheap plastic items/electronics/toys. Our 2nd most significant import is gold/gems; the craze for Gold is cutting a big hole in our $ reserve.

edit:-typo

Is it to point out that the boycott of Chinese goods was so successful that we started producing in India and not only that, we overproduced and are now exporting that excess?
The idea was to highlight that we can produce quality goods (export quality). If the exports are booming, that means people trust our products. Abroad, Indian products are costly, unlike their Chinese counterpart. That said, if the government (state/central) can iron out the problematic issues like land procurement, labor law, electricity tariff (things have at least started moving in the right direction in a few states). I don't see why we can't become a manufacturing powerhouse and reduce our dependency on Chinese imports.

edit:-improvise

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back