boycott companies selling speakers in India. Join hands now!

Chinese have mastered the economies of scale. I respect the fact that they have become the workshop of the world. But I also think that we may be slightly digressing from the topic when discussing this.

Copying western brands is a good idea, NORGE/DNM r u listening?

If they r not listening, why not we all start "HFV electronics pvt ltd." Nebdy game for a new venture which will sell good quality/reasonably priced AV?

i am - game for a new..............but how will it work?

i guess he's right but what can we do like i just pay one lac for onkyo 876 which is in US is near about in between 1200 to 1350 us dollar i don't remember proper price but if we multiply it with 50 its near about 67500 so as you can see we can't do anything

the only option is to buy direct from US

Back to original question
DO YOU REALLY THINK SUCH A BAN IS POSSIBLE? I THINK NO!!!
AND PEOPLE WILL PARTICIPATE .... HA HA HA - I DO NOT THINK SO!!

Again mid-hi end audio is luxury product which is not touching masses or will not touch in future.

On acadmic front a lot of things can be discussed but I think practical possibality is 0.

Anyway I failed to understand why no Indian niche brand tried their hand in CD player??? Be it Norge , Cosmic, Craftel Or cadence and Audire???

Back to original question
DO YOU REALLY THINK SUCH A BAN IS POSSIBLE? I THINK NO!!!
AND PEOPLE WILL PARTICIPATE .... HA HA HA - I DO NOT THINK SO!!

When I wanted new speakers, I didnt look for a phoren brand. So with the preamp. What more does it take? :)

Cheers

Originality

I think we don't need to imitate anyone but if Indian speaker manufactures put there mind together they could come up with their own sound signature!

--
Bryston + B&W

what about the music that you listen to..doesn't make sense..i think the spirit of the OP was to mobilize a kind of a pressure group that would send out a collective message to the importers and resellers...a message that 'discerning and well informed audio enthusiasts were seeing through some of shady practices' ....
and that they were organizing themselves in a way that would impact and even change the 'take it or leave it' attitude displayed by some of the dealers of many well known and sought after brands.....

how does the breakdown serve any purpose. we only need to compare various speaker distributors.

i.e. wharfedale, polk and B&W all three pay the same % to the govt., main company, Dealer margin and freight. Thus all should have same markup. If one has a higher markup it cannot be justified by any taxes, retail overheads or dealer margins. Thus avoid brands will high relative markups.

this is what I have tried to achieve in the thread below.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/6012-speaker-prices-compared-inr-gbp.html

Raghav

Again, I gently mention that unless we have accurate breakdown of a dealer's pricing (what percentage goes to the Govt., what to the main company and what to the dealer), this discussion is going to be completely academic. Can't some knowledgeable member supply this information somehow?

What about CD player,AV amp ( IMHO Sonodyne AV amps are lousy for it's price!),DAC ,cables etc??

The govt does not encourage manufacturing industries. The only way to profit is to build a factory on remote village land for Tax Sops and hire Adivasi's to build CDPs DACs Amps etc... :)

Would you buy an amp built by an Adivasi? :D

Blame the Government!! yea! yea! :lol:

Cheers

Would you buy an amp built by an Adivasi? :

No i would not.

I would want my amp/cdp/dac put together by a blue-eyed blonde haired aryan.

the pleasure i derive from using such a component is immeasurable - i have paid cash for the labour/slavery of that white-skinned aryan- hehehee! reverse colonialism!

but how stupid of me! :)

No i would not.

the pleasure i derive from using such a component is immeasurable - i have paid cash for the labour/slavery of that white-skinned aryan- hehehee! reverse colonialism!

Hee Hee Slavery?!! They work 7 hours a day 35 hours a week ... :)

My point about Adivasi's was illiteracy not race btw ... :)

Cheers

Hai all,

Instead of a total boycott, I suggest that Firms that do a fair business like Wharfedale, Missions whose prices in India are comparable with Intl prices can be encouraged so that the others may also follow suit.

N.Murali.

I agree Murali, lets continue this thread and make it into the brands we think are fair value in the market. These could be different parts of the hifi chain from source to cables to amps, AVRS to speakers.

Borrowing some data from Raghav's thread
Speakers
1. Wharfedale
2. Usher
3. PSB (not sure)
4. KEF
5. Quad
6. Dali

Amplifiers
1. Cambridge

AVR (Actually none)
1. Denon (least of the lot, although street prices of Yamaha are similar)

Cables...

Source
Retails Brands like Sony, Philips, Samsung and LG

LOOTS
Speakers
1. Tannoy
2. Monitor Audio

Source
1. Oppo

WE can fill in the blanks as more data is available

he he he, the days of the blue eyed blonde aryans doing ANY manufacturing activity are as good as over. Now the blue eyed blonde aryan masters are getting everything manufactured by the super efficient chinese :)

No i would not.

The govt does not encourage manufacturing industries. The only way to profit is to build a factory on remote village land for Tax Sops and hire Adivasi's to build CDPs DACs Amps etc... :)

Would you buy an amp built by an Adivasi? :D

Blame the Government!! yea! yea! :lol:

Cheers

I wud buy things built by neone as far as they r decent quality and reasonably priced.

U r right by governmental apathy though.

Hai all,

Instead of a total boycott, I suggest that Firms that do a fair business like Wharfedale, Missions whose prices in India are comparable with Intl prices can be encouraged so that the others may also follow suit.

N.Murali.

i think murali nailed the head. this is what we have to do. we have to spread th awareness among others who are not part of this forum to boycott companies who have huge markups and killing consumers like us. this can be done relatively easy as we don't have to do anything spectacular just inform all your friends and relatives who are looking to buy electornics and guide them appropriately. it can work like a human chain. right now our focus should be to let dealers know that they are hampering their chances of making money by putting up huge mark ups. I am sure if they can't sell for sometime being everything will drop like eggs on the floor.

all we need guys is consistency.

I have already started doing it as my brother in law wanted to buy B&W speakers and I have managed to convince him not to go for that brand.

I would also like to add that we have no problems with brands, but we have problem with erratic and unforgiving dealers here. so if anyone gets a good deal in india or abroad then please go ahead and buy as our fight is with dealers (or shall I say our own people) not companies.

regards,

S

Is higher pricing restricted to audio equipment only? For whatever reason (duties, mark-ups etc), we Indians have to pay higher prices for other consumer goods also - like cars. A Honda Accord, for example, costs Rs.20 lakhs here while the price in the US is probably around $20-25k. This is seems unfair, unjust and always disturbs me particularly since income levels in India are lower than US and Europe.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back