BRAND NEW DENON 3800H IS GOING IN PROTECTION MODE

Ravz157

Hi all just got my new denon 3800h in dec 2023 , havent explored it completely yet and havent ven watched 3 4movies in it and it has started creating isssues. 4 5 days back i just randomly started hearing music and went to volume 60 and it went into protection mode. I have pioneer satellite speakers which are almost 8 9 years old and run on 6 ohms all was good i cant really understand what could have gone wrong and there were no loose connections to be very frank and clear i checked every single cable. Please share your thought cheers

Hi all just got my new denon 3800h in dec 2023 , havent explored it completely yet and havent ven watched 3 4movies in it and it has started creating isssues. 4 5 days back i just randomly started hearing music and went to volume 60 and it went into protection mode. I have pioneer satellite speakers which are almost 8 9 years old and run on 6 ohms all was good i cant really understand what could have gone wrong and there were no loose connections to be very frank and clear i checked every single cable. Please share your thought cheers
Hi RavZ :)

I would suspect something wrong with the wiring or the speakers. Denon's are usually very reliable. Something is triggering its protection circuitry. And I suspect its the speakers.

Disconnect all the speakers to begin with. Connect one speaker at a time, and start up the AVR and keep it running at above moderate volume for 10 mins. If everything is okay, then disconnect this speaker. And wire up the next speaker. If all speakers are without issue running upto 5 mins with each speaker running alone, then there is something wrong with the wiring and it might be shorting somewhere. Usually either at the back of the AVR or at the binding posts of the speakers, especially if any strands from one speaker cable are touching the other of opposite polarity. So please try the above and let us know how things go. All the best :)

As guided, initial trouble shooting is important and required as the service center might not be able to replicate in case the issue is external to the AVR. Does the protection mode kicks in at lower volume?

Hi RavZ :)

I would suspect something wrong with the wiring or the speakers. Denon's are usually very reliable. Something is triggering its protection circuitry. And I suspect its the speakers.

Disconnect all the speakers to begin with. Connect one speaker at a time, and start up the AVR and keep it running at above moderate volume for 10 mins. If everything is okay, then disconnect this speaker. And wire up the next speaker. If all speakers are without issue running upto 5 mins with each speaker running alone, then there is something wrong with the wiring and it might be shorting somewhere. Usually either at the back of the AVR or at the binding posts of the speakers, especially if any strands from one speaker cable are touching the other of opposite polarity. So please try the above and let us know how things go. All the best :)
Hi i checked all the binds and wiring all cables n posts were intact secondly i just recalled that when starting it used to take more than usual time and relay used to make more noise than normal

No warranty?
Aside from self checks you can do, raise this with the dealer. Its their problem, not yours to resolve.
Yes it's under warranty just 1 month old , I asked them they said to take to the service centre and have done so lets see whats wrong with it

As guided, initial trouble shooting is important and required as the service center might not be able to replicate in case the issue is external to the AVR. Does the protection mode kicks in at lower volume?
It wont start just the green light would popup and it would immediately go into protection mode , I'm worried a brand new stuff can do so secondly i have just installed small old satellite speakers which shouldnt put much load on it

I had my Denon go into protection when it was connected to an inverter, which was not a pure sine wave one. I connected the unit to the power mains and it was back online. You may want add the source of your power in your initial trouble shooting steps.

I had my Denon go into protection when it was connected to an inverter, which was not a pure sine wave one. I connected the unit to the power mains and it was back online. You may want add the source of your power in your initial trouble shooting steps.
For that i have removed inverter connection to that socket , would you suggest some stabilizer and UPS for back to shut it down

I know this may sound a bit far fetched but given the satellites are old, could there be a possibility of dry solder issues inside the cabinet of these satellites or internal wiring touching each other which can cause the AVR to go into protection mode?

As per manual you can possibly attempt a reset of the AVR and try other speakers if available to be sure. Borrow from a friend. If this is already done then Service Center would seem to be the only option left since in warranty.

If the speakers are the cause then you may need to invest in other speakers. I use speakers which are 8 ohms and never faced any issue or challenge over the past 2 decades with all the upgrades of amps/avrs and even speakers till date.

How about you disconnect everything from the Avr. Then switch on and leave it on for sometime without anything connected....no source and no speakers. Does it still go in P mode ?

I know this may sound a bit far fetched but given the satellites are old, could there be a possibility of dry solder issues inside the cabinet of these satellites or internal wiring touching each other which can cause the AVR to go into protection mode?

As per manual you can possibly attempt a reset of the AVR and try other speakers if available to be sure. Borrow from a friend. If this is already done then Service Center would seem to be the only option left since in warranty.

If the speakers are the cause then you may need to invest in other speakers. I use speakers which are 8 ohms and never faced any issue or challenge over the past 2 decades with all the upgrades of amps/avrs and even speakers till date.
Hey how are you ? I know I'm looking to hunt down speakers now can't risk more but I'm unable find 8 ohms speakers more of them are 6 ohms what are your thoughts

How about you disconnect everything from the Avr. Then switch on and leave it on for sometime without anything connected....no source and no speakers. Does it still go in P mode ?
Yup tried everything still in P mode so have given to service centre it's ready to be collected now need to hunt speakerd as everyone is suggesting... the seniors are to be trusted as they ahve experience so I'm going on that way

Good to hear that they have rectified it quickly.
Do ask them the fault. It may help others.

Regarding speakers, please specify your requirements and budget so that you can get appropriate guidance.

For that i have removed inverter connection to that socket , would you suggest some stabilizer and UPS for back to shut it down
Any capable pure sine wave inverter for backup should do. I have a Vertex 5kv servo stabiliser since 8 years. This inverter solution is going to be expensive though.

Good to hear that they have rectified it quickly.
Do ask them the fault. It may help others.

Regarding speakers, please specify your requirements and budget so that you can get appropriate guidance.
Anything near 35k 40k for bookshelf

The inverter capacity is usually calculated as at least equal to or more than the total power consumption of all the units you plan to connect to the inverter.
Yes so avr is about 700w tb must be 300 - 400w max , do you have any contacts for stabilizers

Hey how are you ? I know I'm looking to hunt down speakers now can't risk more but I'm unable find 8 ohms speakers more of them are 6 ohms what are your thoughts

Hi,

I seen some pre owned options which will be cheaper than new ones. Will DM you in a while.

Regards,

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back