BRRip's with Onkyo/HK

Swayam

I am planing on buying Onkyo 3300 or Harman Kardon AVR 134 + JBL SCS 140BK.
Most of the time I'll be playing games or watching movies on the PS3. I was wondering if I'll get the 5.1 experience with the BRRip's I've downloaded from the internet.

Audio in BRRip
Code:
*Audio/Bit Rate............: AAC LC/402 Kbps
*Channel(s)/Sampling Rate..: 6 channels/48.0 KHz
*Channel Positions.........: Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

It depends on the source which you will be using to play these rips. Also how do you connect the source with these AVR (i.e., 2CH/5.1/7.1 analogue/HDMI/Optical etc).

BR has better audio tracks than 5.1 with much advanced decoders. Rip may have the same high quality audio tracks namely Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio.

Featurewise Onkyo HTS3300 is better than HK134, as Onkyo supports Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD.

It depends on the source which you will be using to play these rips. Also how do you connect the source with these AVR (i.e., 2CH/5.1/7.1 analogue/HDMI/Optical etc).

BR has better audio tracks than 5.1 with much advanced decoders. Rip may have the same high quality audio tracks namely Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio.

Featurewise Onkyo HTS3300 is better than HK134, as Onkyo supports Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD.

Onkyo 3300 is better for movies. It can decode DTS-HD master Audio from Blu Ray player via HDMI.

BRRip source, There is nothing mentioned about Dolby True HD & DTS-HD.
44046177876728840210.jpg

At the moment I am planing on connecting my PS3 to the AVR by Optical.

Hi
the screenshot that you have posted is of HDlite group.
They rip their torrents in AAC audio which has six channels.
No decoder decodes AAC 6 channels.
So you will need to convert AAC to AC3 and then play it to get the surround sound experience.

PM me in case of any further questions about ripping or changing the sound tracks.

Cheers

BRRip source, There is nothing mentioned about Dolby True HD & DTS-HD.
44046177876728840210.jpg

At the moment I am planing on connecting my PS3 to the AVR by Optical.

There are already BR Rip with better sound codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA are available. When you play such rips or BR disc using a BD player or even your PS3, the HK which you have mentioned will downmix(this may not be the right term) to compartively inferior DTS or Dolby version from DTS-HDMA or Dolby TrueHD and you wont be able to enjoy the full sound quality of BR disc./Rip

Onkyo HT-S3300 has the edge, even in terms of price.

Last edited:
Hi
the screenshot that you have posted is of HDlite group.
They rip their torrents in AAC audio which has six channels.
No decoder decodes AAC 6 channels.
So you will need to convert AAC to AC3 and then play it to get the surround sound experience.

PM me in case of any further questions about ripping or changing the sound tracks.

Cheers

PlayStation 3 wouldn't be able to play them with 6 channels ?

How do I convert AAC to AC3? Also PMed you regarding the same.

Thanks

There are already BR Rip with better sound codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA are available. When you play such rips or BR disc using a BD player or even your PS3, the HK which you have mentioned will downmix(this may not be the right term) to compartively inferior DTS or Dolby version from DTS-HDMA or Dolby TrueHD and you wont be able to enjoy the full sound quality of BR disc./Rip

Onkyo HT-S3300 has the edge, even in terms of price.

BRRips with DTS-HDMA are over 33 gb. That will take a lot of time to download and even if I manage to download it , I wont be able to play it since max file size in PS3 is 4gb.

I am not a audiophile, At the moment I am just hoping to get decent sound out of my HT system. Do you know where I could get those rips whose size is less than 4 gb?

PlayStation 3 wouldn't be able to play them with 6 channels ?

How do I convert AAC to AC3? Also PMed you regarding the same.

Thanks

BRRips with DTS-HDMA are over 33 gb. That will take a lot of time to download and even if I manage to download it , I wont be able to play it since max file size in PS3 is 4gb.

I am not a audiophile, At the moment I am just hoping to get decent sound out of my HT system. Do you know where I could get those rips whose size is less than 4 gb?

I thought you could play large files via ps3 using ps3 media center on your computer.

I am unable to understand, What makes you to decide to pay more for a less feature system. Finally its your choice

Sent you a PM

I think you misunderstood me, I am not going to buy HK + JBL System. I am buying Onkyo 3300 but wont be able to buy Blu Ray's for a while. I'll be playing PS3 games (Dolby Digital or DTS) and BRRips (AAC 6 Channel) using the HT System.

But since Onkyo cant decode AAC 6 Channel , I'll have to find a way to convert it to AC-3 in order to play it on the HT System.

Also reply to my PM.

I am unable to understand, What makes you to decide to pay more for a less feature system. Finally its your choice

I think you misunderstood me, I am going to buy Onkyo 3300. All I need is something to convert my .mp4 movies AAC to AC-3.

hii... The best solution would be
GET A WD-LIVE or BOXEE (Logitech) or some other HD media player... They virtually play all the BR Rips HD Rips,,, I too download the High Def 6 channel movies.... I use my WD Live to connect to the Home Theater and watch these movies... in full definition and 5.1 (6 channel sound)

Hi
WDTV live will only play AAC (2 channel) not AAC(6 channels).
You have to convert .mp4 file into .mkv using mkvmerge.
Then convert that audio in the .mkv file from AAC to AC3 ( 6 Channels) using Popkorn audio converter.

First BRRips are MKVs or AVIs , does PS3 play these files ...... the question is what is your source for playing these kind of files. Not sure about WD Live but AC Ryan POHD plays AAC 5.1 just fine ......

First BRRips are MKVs or AVIs , does PS3 play these files ...... the question is what is your source for playing these kind of files. Not sure about WD Live but AC Ryan POHD plays AAC 5.1 just fine ......

What does Onkyo AVR display when AAC 5.1 is played?

Do you get 6 channel surround sound?

Last edited:
^^ AVR never displays the codec, AAC is a codec, neither it displays the container (MKV). AVR would always show the multichannel audio technology the movie user like Dolby Digital (DD), Digital Theater System (DTS), DD True HD, DTS Master Audio, DD EX, DD Plus, DTS Neo 6 ...... etc etc ..... which inself mean the source has 6 channels ......

Last edited:
^^ AVR never displays the codec, AAC is a codec, neither it displays the container (MKV). AVR would always show the multichannel audio technology the movie user like Dolby Digital (DD), Digital Theater System (DTS), DD True HD, DTS Master Audio, DD EX, DD Plus, DTS Neo 6 ...... etc etc ..... which inself mean the source has 6 channels ......

:)

Okay..I understand if a movies has audio as DD, DTS, Dolby-TrueHD, DTS-HD etc, Then AVR shows what kind of audio is being played in the AVR display..

my question remains same.. I will rephrase it..

What does AVR (say onkyo 6200) display when movie has AAC 5.1 audio?
If AVR is connected with HDMI, Do we get real 5.1 surround sound for these movies?

I want to know whether it is really needed to convert AAC 5.1 audio to AC3 (DD).

:)

Okay..I understand if a movies has audio as DD, DTS, Dolby-TrueHD, DTS-HD etc, Then AVR shows what kind of audio is being played in the AVR display..

my question remains same.. I will rephrase it..

What does AVR (say onkyo 6200) display when movie has AAC 5.1 audio?
If AVR is connected with HDMI, Do we get real 5.1 surround sound for these movies?

I want to know whether it is really needed to convert AAC 5.1 audio to AC3 (DD).

I think you need to understand the difference between codec, container and the compression ........ To ans your question straight, if a movie originally on a Bluray had DTS, and was ripped with AAC audio codec, the AVR would show DTS, similarly if the movie originally had DTS and was ripped using AC3 codec, the AVR still would show DTS. Again to summerise, AVR does not display the codec or container, just the Audio technology (compression) the movie was originally encoded with ......

And finally yes we do get proper 5.1 surround sound if the avr is connected with a source via HDMI that can read multichannel AAC

Back