BSNL Broadband - Any good alternate

My SNR margin is less than 7db downstream. I think I need to check the line in the junction box. Thanks to just4kix for pointing out this fault. I also found one more thing when I was fiddling with the router. The DSL setting had both G.DMT and ADSL2+ enabled along with couple of other modulations which was default. Do I need to uncheck anything to get the modem/router fine tuned? I have attached screen shot of the DSL setting as displayed by the router.
G.DMT is ADSL2 both should be checked.

Refer this guide: UT300-R2U Ver 2.2 - Guide for setting up

I think whether it is BSNL or Airtel or any other service providers, they usually throttle bittorrent traffic. Even during lean hours I never get decent speed through bit torrent traffic.

this post might be against the rules but i will post it ( use private torrent trackers) i get decent speeds with them, trust me i have been using it since last 5 years and never have i complained about BSNL throttling speeds :licklips:

Since this is BSNL BB thread so thought I will post my doubt that may help the OP as well. I have recently switched to BSNL for the 499 plan.

2 queries:

1) In an online speed test I am seeing download speed of 0.3mbps and upload speed of 0.4mbps (Upload speed is more than download speed!)
Is this expected behavior?

2) Also what should be expected speed? Tips to improve it if any?

Last edited:
this post might be against the rules but i will post it ( use private torrent trackers) i get decent speeds with them, trust me i have been using it since last 5 years and never have i complained about BSNL throttling speeds :licklips:

Great. Send me an invitation;)

Since this is BSNL BB thread so thought I will post my doubt that may help the OP as well. I have recently switched to BSNL for the 499 plan.

2 queries:

1) In an online speed test I am seeing download speed of 0.3mbps and upload speed of 0.4mbps (Upload speed is more than download speed!)
Is this expected behavior?

2) Also what should be expected speed? Tips to improve it if any?

The default UL of BSNL is 512 kbps, so you might be getting that much*( default means plans upto 2 or 3k pm) other than that if u ask BSNL staff at CC they say the UL is same as DL and if you need more UL get VDSL plans, i got one for my cyber cafe and the speed is 8 mbps DL and 4 mbps UL

I had disabled the ADSL2+ in the modem setting under DSL and enabled only the G.DMT and surprisingly the SNR values increased to 10+ and there has not been any disconnection or reset that happened to the modem for past 24 hrs. Download and upload speed is also good now. When I enable the ADSL2+ the modem starts to reset itself again. Not sure why.

I had disabled the ADSL2+ in the modem setting under DSL and enabled only the G.DMT and surprisingly the SNR values increased to 10+ and there has not been any disconnection or reset that happened to the modem for past 24 hrs. Download and upload speed is also good now. When I enable the ADSL2+ the modem starts to reset itself again. Not sure why.

This means that there is definitely problem with your line. G.DMT is ADSL1. Your line is bad and is unable to support the QoS required for running ADSL2.

This means that there is definitely problem with your line. G.DMT is ADSL1. Your line is bad and is unable to support the QoS required for running ADSL2.

Line meaning internal wiring or problem with exchange? The voice is very clear without any disturbance.

Line meaning internal wiring or problem with exchange? The voice is very clear without any disturbance.

One or both. Unfortunately voice does not require high QoS and absence of hiss/noise may not be a good indicator. There could be problem with CPE, ie, splitter, modem, also.

One or both. Unfortunately voice does not require high QoS and absence of hiss/noise may not be a good indicator. There could be problem with CPE, ie, splitter, modem, also.

Hi,
My router shows SNR margin and line attenuation as given in this picture..plz post your comment..Is it perfect or does it need some tweaking..As of now I feel it works nicely..

[URL="

Hi,
My router shows SNR margin and line attenuation as given in this picture..plz post your comment..Is it perfect or does it need some tweaking..As of now I feel it works nicely..

[URL="

Your SNR margin and attenuation rates are well within established maximum/minimum parameters. Your line quality is excellent and on that front you don't have to do anything.

Rather late noticing this thread.

I have been using Airtel for last several years, having dumped BSNL because even they admitted that their cables in my area were old and useless. They have since recabled. but I've stuck with Airtel.

Airtel's call handling and admin side is useless. It is a vast faceless company. They will close calls just to get them off the open list. Against that, and more to the point, the guys on the ground are good, and if you have any problem that is not fixed quickly, you can their number and phone them direct. I suspect Airtel encourage this to keep their call stats looking better :mad:!

The Beetel modems from Airtel are amazingly cheap (probably BSLN too). You can go and spend thousands in the open market, and have a much fancier box, but Rs.850 is pretty hard to beat for a working modem (wireless/switch is a one-thousand-something). Also, my Netgear modem/router will not keep the link up with our line conditions, but the Beetel modem seldom drops. I got the first Beetel when Airtel gave them out free, swapped in my own Netgear when it failed, but just recently it giving outage of several hours a day: fixed by buying an Airtel Beetel :)

I don't know if anything has changed with BSNL in recent years, but Airtel has a different culture, and its cheaper, because the engineers come, do the job, and go. There is no hanging around with open palm --- even if they have worked long and hard to fix a tough problem.

Download speeds may not be the immediate fault of the provider. Undersea cable faults, even though far off our shores, have taken a toll recently. I could not get any decent speed until last couple of days.

Also in the news not too long ago: major BSNL cable damage somewhere like Poonamalee High Road area (???).

Rather late noticing this thread.

I have been using Airtel for last several years, having dumped BSNL because even they admitted that their cables in my area were old and useless. They have since recabled. but I've stuck with Airtel.

Airtel's call handling and admin side is useless. It is a vast faceless company. They will close calls just to get them off the open list. Against that, and more to the point, the guys on the ground are good, and if you have any problem that is not fixed quickly, you can their number and phone them direct. I suspect Airtel encourage this to keep their call stats looking better :mad:!

The Beetel modems from Airtel are amazingly cheap (probably BSLN too). You can go and spend thousands in the open market, and have a much fancier box, but Rs.850 is pretty hard to beat for a working modem (wireless/switch is a one-thousand-something). Also, my Netgear modem/router will not keep the link up with our line conditions, but the Beetel modem seldom drops. I got the first Beetel when Airtel gave them out free, swapped in my own Netgear when it failed, but just recently it giving outage of several hours a day: fixed by buying an Airtel Beetel :)

I don't know if anything has changed with BSNL in recent years, but Airtel has a different culture, and its cheaper, because the engineers come, do the job, and go. There is no hanging around with open palm --- even if they have worked long and hard to fix a tough problem.

Download speeds may not be the immediate fault of the provider. Undersea cable faults, even though far off our shores, have taken a toll recently. I could not get any decent speed until last couple of days.

Also in the news not too long ago: major BSNL cable damage somewhere like Poonamalee High Road area (???).

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've never had any problem with BSNL until couple of months back. Even before a year any BB complaint would be rectified within couple of hours if it is in week days. It seems now that their culture has changed or rather the knowledgeable persons have gone elsewhere or transferred. As you have mentioned their cable might be getting old or simply they are not bothered anymore. I have no options or rather in Chennai there is no option in DSL as if it is not BSNL it has to be Airtel. I don't know if any cable internet service is good now. I had used sify internet cable very long time back when they were very much active then and got a decent service from them. I have now written to the BSNL DE asking them to check their equipment for the low SNR margin I'm getting. I would be moving to Airtel if nothing happens in another couple of week.

Problem solved. The signal equipment at the road junction was changed due to corrosion and I rewired the wiring inside my house. However had a very tough time convincing the DE, line men, modem testing technician in BSNL that my modem was not faulty. Everyone tried to sell a modem through an agent but I told them the modem was not at fault as I configured and tested with another modem with same results. Only after contacting the GM BSNL things began to move. The old modem now is working perfectly even with the original power adapter and the SNR value in the modem is now 40+

Considering this Airtel customer service should be a cakewalk than BSNL.

Back