Budget 2010-Impact on AV fans

Gfreeman

Samsung and LG have confirmed an impending price hike due to the excise duty increase and rising steel costs

Consumer durables to get costlier on excise duty hike - Yahoo! India News

Excise duty alone should mean 2000/lakh in a worst case scenario. I was wondering how much would rising costs of steel,etc add upto. Also if we knew the specs/size/model of the high end tv they were referring to...it might have just given us a clue as to what the actual percentage increase might have been.

Well Mr Mukherji has given very generous tax benefits. So more liquidity for buying A/V gear. Sales tax is an issue but I guess ways will come out it to make it non issue.;)
Another good thing possibly for A/V fans is Value limit of Rs. 1 lakh per annum on duty-free import of commercial samples as
personal baggage enhanced to Rs. 3 lakh per annum.

Last edited:
this is interesting. Need more details. Madbullram, are you listening?

Well Mr Mukherji has given very generous tax benefits. So more liquidity for buying A/V gear. Sales tax is an issue but I guess ways will come out it to make it non issue.;)
Another good thing possibly for A/V fans is Value limit of Rs. 1 lakh per annum on duty-free import of commercial samples as
personal baggage enhanced to Rs. 3 lakh per annum.

IMHO because of the reduction in the IT slab, especially for the under 8lac earners, the added disposable income will definitely benefit consumer electronic sales (regardless of other hikes in corresponding taxes). This was corroborated by reps from Samsung etc in todays ET. Now how much would translate to AV/HT is anybodys guess. My take is HTIB's and 32" screens may see a lot more action. All in all, additional disposable income bodes well for our hobby methinks:clapping:. OTOH I read that liquor prices will go up by 5%. What the *&%#:mad: I dont smoke but I guess smokers are thinking the same thing.
Cheers
Sid

well i don't know much about taxes so correct me if i am wrong ,afaik their will be increase of 2% on excise duties,which i believe only applies to stuff which is made or assembled in india hence the prices increase announced by samsung and lg.where as sony haven't announced any increase in price,being a direct import.the custom duties i believe remains unchanged so prices of brands like sony or others which are a direct import won't see any price increase.

Today I went to purchase Cambridge AZUR 640 A V2 Sterio Amp in anticipation of hike in prices.But to my bad luck 2% hike in excise duty was levied and I proposed to the seller to sell the stuff without bill , but the he did not agree. So the AZUR 640 A V2 is increased by Rs. 480/- from Rs.23850 to Rs 24327/-.

Regards

Today I went to purchase Cambridge AZUR 640 A V2 Sterio Amp in anticipation of hike in prices.But to my bad luck 2% hike in excise duty was levied and I proposed to the seller to sell the stuff without bill , but the he did not agree. So the AZUR 640 A V2 is increased by Rs. 480/- from Rs.23850 to Rs 24327/-.

Regards

AFAIK, Excise is done "at factory gate", and does not impact MRP. MRPs are increased by manufacturers as they do not want to bear the cost (profit reduction) of the Excise increase. It will never have any impact of any stock lying in a retailers stockyard.

in this case specifically, the impact of excise increase would be felt by any subsequent import of products and the importer may decide to increase prices consequently. (it would not make any difference on "with bill" or "without bill" since it is not a last point/multipoint tax). It has no impact on what has already been imported and especially to what stuff has already been sold or delivered to the retailer You can be sure that if the importer chose increase prices on his existing stock, it would be for any new shipments to the retailer and no price increase would impact what is already moved to the retailer.

your retailer chose simply to take you for a ride. what you choose to do is a personal decision, but if I were in your place, I'd return the stuff to him, get my money back (or bounce the cheque ;-)) and badmouth him for usury to everyone I knew.

cheers

Last edited:
AFAIK,

It has no impact on what has already been imported and especially to what stuff has already been sold or delivered to the retailer

cheers

I am aware of this. There are three dealers in my area selling this brand . More or less the price is same with all of them. Any way I will take back my cheque before he deposit the same with his banker, as he promised me to deliver the stuff on Monday probably after verifying whether my account have sufficient fund.

Regards

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back