Budget amplifier for Sonodyne/Wharfedale speakers

drechlet

I am a total beginner in Hifi world, and this would be my first setup

Please suggest some budget amplifier to go with these speakers. My total budget for speakers+amplifier is around 30k

1. Sonodyne Sonus 1501v3 bookshelf speakers
  2. Polk audio tsx110b
  3. Wharfedale Diamond 121
  4. Wharfedale Diamond 220

So far I have auditioned Sonus 1501v3 with Sonodyne sia310, and they sounded alright. But I have heard that Polk and Wharfedale speakers are much better than Sonodyne!

I have also auditioned Wharfedale 121 with Marantz pm 5055, but they are beyond my budget.

If you can then stay away from Sonodyne bookshelves. Their amplifiers are entry level but speakers are not really acceptable for me in terms of stereo. Try Wharfedale 121 or Dali Zensor 1. Zensor 1 are way way ahead of the Sonodynes.

Speakers perform differently when paired with different amplifiers....

I have paired the Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS with Sonodyne's SIA 320, Marantz SR 5200 AVR with a Sonodyne stereo Power amplifier, With Onkyo AVR Presently and have heard them pair with Pioneer VSX 1122 & Yamaha RX series of AVR's too...

Of all the above, i like Onkyo pairing with Sonus 2605 very closely followed by Pioneer VSX 1122..

I have done this thru trial & error method in more than 2 yrs of owning the Sonodyne Sonus 2605...

Spend less on speakers, more on amplifier and DAC...

If you can then stay away from Sonodyne bookshelves. Their amplifiers are entry level but speakers are not really acceptable for me in terms of stereo. Try Wharfedale 121 or Dali Zensor 1. Zensor 1 are way way ahead of the Sonodynes.

Thanks for your suggestion shibashis. Can you suggest any amplifier which pairs well with Wharfedale 121 and is cheaper than Marantz. My listening preference will be 50:50 for music:movies.

If Norge amplifiers are available near your location, please audition and decide. Norge also makes bookshelf speakers. But the ultimate deciding factor will be your sound preference. From your requirement for 50-50 movies and music, i doubt whether an integrated / 2 channel stereo amp would meet your requirement.

I couldn't find any Norge dealer around Delhi NCR.

If Norge amplifiers are available near your location, please audition and decide. Norge also makes bookshelf speakers. But the ultimate deciding factor will be your sound preference. From your requirement for 50-50 movies and music, i doubt whether an integrated / 2 channel stereo amp would meet your requirement.

I was thinking of purchasing an AVR, but given my limited budget I don't want to compromise with sound quality, and hence the Integrated amplifier and BS speakers.

Look out for quality pre-owned gear as thampi suggested, some really good products turn up from time to time.

Hi,

In case you are interested in Marantz PM 6002 that is about 4 year old, do let me know. I recently (today) bought Edifier Studio 7 monitors and need to sell off my Marantz PM 6002.

Marantz goes well with Wharfs according to many. I was using it with my home made open baffles through dbx 231 equalizers. I dismantled them due to space constraints.

In fact, if you have not bought speakers as yet, do listen to Edifier Studio 7 active monitors. They are tri-amped. I selected them after using Marantz for few years. So it will give you some idea. They cost 11k.

Last edited:
Hi,

In case you are interested in Marantz PM 6002 that is about 4 year old, do let me know. I recently (today) bought Edifier Studio 7 monitors and need to sell off my Marantz PM 6002.

Marantz goes well with Wharfs according to many. I was using it with my home made open baffles through dbx 231 equalizers. I dismantled them due to space constraints.

In fact, if you have not bought speakers as yet, do listen to Edifier Studio 7 active monitors. They are tri-amped. I selected them after using Marantz for few years. So it will give you some idea. They cost 11k.

I think that location would be a problem, because I am located in Ghaziabad, while your profile shows that you are in Goa.

I have decided to go with Wharfedale Diamond 121 speakers, and now just finalizing the amplifier (might go for Cambridge audio Topaz am5 or sonodyne sia 320).

i m listening norge from last 3 months with pioneer tower speakers and sound is great on all kinda music, connected the same with sherwood avr and surround sound is also great as i like.
You take your fev music CDs and can come to my place @ noida for a look and a cup of tea :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back